Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #1701
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
I'm 34. Boomer, Pinder, Warrener, Deforest, Steinberg and Kirch are all older than me. So it's Klein, Nault and Logan Gordon that are in their mid 20s?
Pretty sure Klein is in his 30's too. But damn all those hooligan kids running around the station!
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caboose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #1702
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You can’t spell “old timers rambling” with “radio”.

When you hang around pro sports for 30, 40, 50 years, you collect a lifetime of great stories that you can draw on to fill time. You get to see big figures at big moments doing incredible things. Stories you can’t possibly touch with your experiences at SAIT broadcasting school.

Radio is storytelling, at the end of the day; I think the last natural storyteller the Fan had was Kerr.

Peter Maher was a masterful storyteller.

Who tells a good story on the Fan?
I don't disagree but one drawback I find with the sports radio old guard in this town is that they are not nearly as informed as the younger generation. I'm thinking specifically of someone like Mark Stephen or Jock Wilson on 770. They are certainly both a wealth of information on the CFL as that's their niche but to hear Stephen especially talk about anything else reeks of grasping at straws. I prefer a Nault over a Mark Stephen because at least he seems prepared when conducting interviews and gives the impression that he's invested in his job.

In general, I would rank the 960 on-air talent as follows, with the criteria being who I would miss the most/whose role would be most difficult for the station to fill if they left:

Boomer
Pinder
Steinberg (just behind Pinder as he's more versatile but I think they are both really good at what they aim to do)
Klein
Rhett
Matty Rose
Logan
Nault

Also, I really like some of the regular "guests" which I rank as follows:

Brunt
Friedman
Chris Johnston
Eric Francis (I know he's not really a guest anymore)
Krahn
Tommy Wheeldon Jr.
Duhatschek
Loubardias (Lunch time is often when I listen and I just find his segment repetitive)
Jason Laconfora (he's good but I'm not much of an NFL fan)

Not sure who else I'm missing?
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #1703
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post

Brunt
Friedman
Chris Johnston
Krahn
Tommy Wheeldon Jr.
Duhatschek
Loubardias (Lunch time is often when I listen and I just find his segment repetitive)

I'm exclusively a hockey fan, so would rather hear a Candy bracket rather than NFL, NBA, or MLB talk, but in terms of guests, I still put Adnan Virk right under Brunt. Super entertaining and fun guy.

I also know the Brent Krahn isn't everybody's wheelhouse, but he was the commentator who got me through the early months of Covid. He positively slays me, and he and Boomer together were what kept me listening day after day. I love it every time he's on.

"Hello Team!"

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #1704
Young Guns
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brian Burke would be at the top of my list for regular guests.
Young Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Young Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #1705
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I am sure I am going to get hammered for this statement but Loubardias is unbearable to listen to.

Him constantly asking himself rhetorical questions is extremely annoying.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #1706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I am sure I am going to get hammered for this statement but Loubardias is unbearable to listen to.

Ya I think Lou has a decent fanbase because his passion but you are not wrong. He has a unique voice that can sound like nails on a chalkboard.

I have grown to appreciate him over the years but could t stand him when he did play by play on TV for the Oilers and then the Flames.

We are so lucky to have Rick Ball right now
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #1707
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The morning show is solid.

The rest is so-so.

They really need to bring back Krahn. He is pure gold and one of the funniest people I have ever listened to.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #1708
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I love the change of pace the morning show offers. The not to serious mood is nice to listen to while driving to work. Instead of the constant analysis of who will me the 14th forward on the depth chart and why the guy in Stockton deserves a chance it’s nice talking about food, jokes and personal stories.

I’m actually extremely surprised there are Rhett haters. He adds so much value, even when it comes to serious subjects like escrow, salaries, etc. His banter between Conroy this morning was actually really funny.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #1709
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I'm exclusively a hockey fan, so would rather hear a Candy bracket rather than NFL, NBA, or MLB talk, but in terms of guests, I still put Adnan Virk right under Brunt. Super entertaining and fun guy.

I also know the Brent Krahn isn't everybody's wheelhouse, but he was the commentator who got me through the early months of Covid. He positively slays me, and he and Boomer together were what kept me listening day after day. I love it every time he's on.

"Hello Team!"

I haven't popped into this thread in a while so I'm not sure if I missed some Krahn hate. But if Krahn isn't in someones "Wheelhouse", I'm not sure their opinion can be trusted on anything. One of the bright spots of my morning on many a drive. Like seriously, who doesnt like Krahn?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #1710
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Khran is an absolute delight to listen to. Guy even has a pretty good radio voice. He's just so funny and positive. Love it every time he's on. It's a similar feeling whenever Connie is on. Different personalities, but both just make me smile whenever they are on.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #1711
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
I don't disagree but one drawback I find with the sports radio old guard in this town is that they are not nearly as informed as the younger generation. I'm thinking specifically of someone like Mark Stephen or Jock Wilson on 770. They are certainly both a wealth of information on the CFL as that's their niche but to hear Stephen especially talk about anything else reeks of grasping at straws. I prefer a Nault over a Mark Stephen because at least he seems prepared when conducting interviews and gives the impression that he's invested in his job.

In general, I would rank the 960 on-air talent as follows, with the criteria being who I would miss the most/whose role would be most difficult for the station to fill if they left:

Boomer
Pinder
Steinberg (just behind Pinder as he's more versatile but I think they are both really good at what they aim to do)
Klein
Rhett
Matty Rose
Logan
Nault

Brunt
Friedman
Chris Johnston
Krahn
Tommy Wheeldon Jr.
Duhatschek

Putting Duhatschek below Eric Francis is a slight against your credibility.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #1712
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last edited by curves2000; 01-12-2021 at 01:30 PM. Reason: wrong thread
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #1713
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post

OMG. The day can't come soon enough to never hear Loubo and his 1950s gangster voice on Calgary radio ever again!

We went from the best Radio play by play with Rogers and Maher to the worst with that guy and Loubo. I'm not even sure of his name!
Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #1714
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My only real complaint with the Morning Show, and I'm sure there's an audience for it, and it's probably reflective of where we are on the sports calendar with NFL being the biggest thing currently, but the amount of NFL gambling talk (and general gambling talk) is out of control.

I'm not a huge NFL fan but I actually do like hearing some talk to know generally what is going on. However, I simply could not care less for endless segments about betting lines, point spreads, Sports Select tickets etc. It is mind-numbingly boring and I can't imagine how it could be interesting for anyone beyond the person talking about it, but it seems to permeate every aspect of the Morning Show.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #1715
Flashpoint

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
My only real complaint with the Morning Show, and I'm sure there's an audience for it, and it's probably reflective of where we are on the sports calendar with NFL being the biggest thing currently, but the amount of NFL gambling talk (and general gambling talk) is out of control.

I'm not a huge NFL fan but I actually do like hearing some talk to know generally what is going on. However, I simply could not care less for endless segments about betting lines, point spreads, Sports Select tickets etc. It is mind-numbingly boring and I can't imagine how it could be interesting for anyone beyond the person talking about it, but it seems to permeate every aspect of the Morning Show.
I'm fairly certain it's a "sponsored" segment by sports select.

-Bax
Old 01-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #1716
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm fairly certain it's a "sponsored" segment by sports select.
The Sport Select on Thursdays was sponsored however Jason Laconfora and Randall the Handll are booked regular guests like Stephen Brundt and Elliot Friedman. They were talking about this last week and I understood some of this stemmed from the listener panels. And yes, other then the NFL and Gambling on the NFL there was not much else Sept thru Dec. I mean the snack food brackets had certainly ran their course.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #1717
Flashpoint

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
The Sport Select on Thursdays was sponsored however Jason Laconfora and Randall the Handll are booked regular guests like Stephen Brundt and Elliot Friedman. They were talking about this last week and I understood some of this stemmed from the listener panels. And yes, other then the NFL and Gambling on the NFL there was not much else Sept thru Dec. I mean the snack food brackets had certainly ran their course.
So the listener panels were "oh, please tell us more about fantasy football!"?

That seems weird to me (not that I don't believe you).

Is anyone who happens to read this really into hearing about football sports select predictions?

I'm all for additional revenue streams for the station (gotta pay your people), and as a podcast listener I just skip over it, but I'm very surprised the Calgary market would be into NFL "gambling selection talk".

-Bax
Old 01-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #1718
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Is anyone who happens to read this really into hearing about football sports select predictions?

I'm all for additional revenue streams for the station (gotta pay your people), and as a podcast listener I just skip over it, but I'm very surprised the Calgary market would be into NFL "gambling selection talk".

The minute I hear "radio hacks fantasy league" talk of any kind, I turn off the radio!

Also, why is my buddy's lacrosse coach on there as some sort of gambling expert. Just cause a guy gambles a lot doesn't mean he needs to have time on the radio to broadcast it.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #1719
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well Fantasy Football and NFL Handicapng/ Wagering are two entirely different topics. I liked the Thursday/ Monday Sport Select segments, which by the way are done for the year.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #1720
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes. I get that this is a hockey forum but there are a lot of football fans in Canada.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: