Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #2241
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m currently using an iPad gen 5 and have no issues with it. But now I’ve obtained an brand new iPad gen 6 (no, it wasn’t stolen)

Is there any difference between the gen 5 and 6?

I’m tempted to open the gen 6 but the rational side of me is saying not to open the gen 6 as it’s easier to sell an unopened gen 6 than a used gen 5

What should I do?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #2242
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I’m currently using an iPad gen 5 and have no issues with it. But now I’ve obtained an brand new iPad gen 6 (no, it wasn’t stolen)

Is there any difference between the gen 5 and 6?

I’m tempted to open the gen 6 but the rational side of me is saying not to open the gen 6 as it’s easier to sell an unopened gen 6 than a used gen 5

What should I do?
Other than Apple Pencil support and a slightly faster chipset they're basically the same.

If you don't care about those features then the only advantages to using the new one is getting an extra year of updates and not having to upgrade as soon as if you kept the old one. I'd say it comes down to whether the money you'd get by selling it important to you.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #2243
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If anyone is still deciding between the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro (or Max), let me put it this way:
Unless you're nuts about the camera, and the camera is in your TOP 3 features, go with the regular iPhone 11.

You still get the wide angle, large display and the selfie camera is the EXACT same between the 11 and the Pros.

Yes, the 11 is an LCD, but you won't notice the difference unless you put it side-by-side with an OLED. I promise you.

I used the XR for the past year and it was an enjoyable experience. It uses an LCD screen.

If you're nuts about camera and NEED the telephoto lens (most people don't know how to utilize it), then go for the Pro or Pro Max.

Save your money and get the iPhone 11.

edit - side note: save even more money and get last year's XR or XS (max), if you want the larger size.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #2244
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Anybody else still having issue with mail in iOS 13? I'm up to 13.1.2 and while it has improved, it still isn't working properly. I will now get notifications that I have new mail, but I then have to go in, refresh, and reload the mail.

Also not a fan on the "find my iPhone" in iOS 13. I cannot find a way to have it refresh.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #2245
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Anybody else still having issue with mail in iOS 13? I'm up to 13.1.2 and while it has improved, it still isn't working properly. I will now get notifications that I have new mail, but I then have to go in, refresh, and reload the mail.

Also not a fan on the "find my iPhone" in iOS 13. I cannot find a way to have it refresh.
Yes. Very much yes. The mail issues are still terrible for me.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #2246
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Yes. Very much yes. The mail issues are still terrible for me.
Guess what?

It gets no better in 13.2
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #2247
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s odd. Not seeing any issues here with a couple of Exchange accounts and a Yahoo one.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #2248
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Guess what?

Ugh. Great.

I actually got so tired of it, I downgraded to 12.4.1 (while it was still being signed by Apple) until it's sorted out. I lost a couple weeks of texts and such, but it's been so worth it.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #2249
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I need to get a new 27" iMac for work. I'm looking at getting a refurbished 2019, but even so these things are getting pretty pricey...so I'm finding myself needing to make some compromises to keep the cost relatively reasonable, but not sure what elements makes the most sense to put focus on.

Out of processor speed, RAM, or harddrive type, what's the best bang for your buck? Alternatively, if you had to compromise on one, what would it be?

The things I'm trying to decide on:
Processor Speed (3.1GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor vs 3.6GHz 8-core Intel Core i9)
RAM (Need at least 32GB, was hoping for 64)
SSD vs Fusion (1TB SSD vs 2-3TB Fusion)

Context: I'm a graphic designer, so use lots of Adobe Creative Suite apps, often at the same time. However I don't really do any 3D/Animation/Video.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #2250
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Yep. Same for me. That said OSX Catalina has been much more annoying for me. The new Apple Music app is unintuitive and flat out sucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #2251
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So I need to get a new 27" iMac for work. I'm looking at getting a refurbished 2019, but even so these things are getting pretty pricey...so I'm finding myself needing to make some compromises to keep the cost relatively reasonable, but not sure what elements makes the most sense to put focus on.

Out of processor speed, RAM, or harddrive type, what's the best bang for your buck? Alternatively, if you had to compromise on one, what would it be?

The things I'm trying to decide on:
Processor Speed (3.1GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor vs 3.6GHz 8-core Intel Core i9)
RAM (Need at least 32GB, was hoping for 64)
SSD vs Fusion (1TB SSD vs 2-3TB Fusion)

Context: I'm a graphic designer, so use lots of Adobe Creative Suite apps, often at the same time. However I don't really do any 3D/Animation/Video.
That i5 is a big performer for a coffee lake but that i9..... it’sa complete monster of a CPU. If you are doing video editing the CPU could be well worth it. I would personally go with the 1TB NVMe and then get external supplemental drives as storage doesn’t need to be much faster than USB 3 or fire in my opinion. Fusion drives are still mechanical, and Once you hit the HDD it will suck. In all fairness however I believe the 3TB drive has 128Gb of SSD support and MacOS is very good at managing files so there is a decent chance that your apps never make it to the HDD and stay in the SSD

For Ram The iMAC can be upgraded on your own for about 40% of the cost Apple charges and can have more than 64 even though they say it cannot. I personally know 2 who have 128 and I have 64 in mine. Have I ever utilized more than 40% of that? Once and that was when I was transcoding 2 x 4K UHD files; and even then I was at about 55% ish.

So pretty much all I’m saying is get the i9 CPU, do the ram yourself and decide on the drives dependant on what you are storing and your app suite installs.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #2252
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

You make some great points, thanks. While I don't need to edit video or anything too intensive, it makes sense to spend money on the one thing you can't upgrade via a third party.

Is there a third party RAM dealer you recommend? Crucial, OWC?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #2253
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
You make some great points, thanks. While I don't need to edit video or anything too intensive, it makes sense to spend money on the one thing you can't upgrade via a third party.

Is there a third party RAM dealer you recommend? Crucial, OWC?
I bought OWC because at the time they were the best price.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #2254
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Guess what?

In 13.2 MS Remote Desktop stops working, that doesn't make me happy.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #2255
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Guess what?

Oddly enough the 13.1.3 update cleared up every single mail issue I had. Yet the 13.2 beta 2 had zero of those fixes. I would imagine they will be merged into beta 3 that comes out today.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #2256
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Damn, the new iPhone's are pricey!! I'm on a 6S that needs upgrading, and I really don't want to be doing it again in 2 years. That said, nearly $2000 for an iPhone 11 Pro is kinda crazy. I don't want too much of a bigger screen as my thumbs already get enough of a stretch on the 4.7" 6S. I'm having a real tough time deciding between various flavours of the 8, X & 11 - balancing cost between features, device longevity and storage capacity. I have a new baby and pictures and video have taken over my phone.

Any recommendations on where one might find a deal? I've been watching Kijiji but have my reservations on buying a used phone from there. Amazon has 'renewed' phones which also have their red flags. Telus has a 'Bring it Back' plan that might be the way I go, but doesn't really save me anything over Apple directly except for a different way to finance it. Are there any sites or avenues I'm not thinking of?
BsFaninCGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #2257
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Android phone?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #2258
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Android phone?
Not interested. Despite I'm sure it's many better qualities than an iPhone, I am unfortunately too invested in the Apple ecosystem and have no desire to leave it at the moment.
BsFaninCGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #2259
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still haven't observed any odd email problems, but one new thing that has started happening is my camera will sometimes open up with the front camera selected, when I press the button to reserve it to the rear camera, it freezes up. It's kind of random though, so hard to nail down what might be the cause.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #2260
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just get the 11 instead of the 11 Pro?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote