Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #1501
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I do believe In climate change and work directly in an environmental (ish I guess) job.

But i think climate alarmists and environmentalists of that ilk have one goal and it’s wealth redistribution.
It's more dangerous for Canadians than wealth distribution, imo. Globally, climate change is being used for country wealth distribution. And Canada's getting destroyed by climate change activism and awareness because people are unwittingly supporting an American initiative to dominate Oil production while it's consumption that needs to change quickly to save the planet.

Oil's here for a long time yet and people want Canada to cut our heads off so we're the good guys in the world. We're really stupid.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #1502
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
A teenager is coming! Quick Conservatives! To the energy war room!

But seriously, when you’re questioning the mental health of a teenager because they passionately disagree with you, you’ve either forgotten what it’s like to feel and think like a teenager, or you’re attempting to assassinate the character of a teenager, which is deeply pathetic.
No, this is wrong with her pull. She shouldn't be framed as "angry teenager that cares about climate change" so "Why would you dare yell at or challenge a CHILD!!!!".

If you have as much celebrity as she does with a team of people behind her, and you travel globally and attempt (and likely successfully) to have political pull on people's livlihoods on an issue that is largely political between countries than she can't be treated as "she's a child, you're going after a child!".

She's chosen to attempt to have an effect on politics, that is a powerful position she's successfully achieved but should be challenged the same as any celebrity that goes around doing this stuff.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #1503
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank God she won't be here during a chinook in February.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #1504
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

So when is it ok to challenge someones beliefs, 17, 18?
This whole idea that they shouldn't be challenged is absolutely asinine.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #1505
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I think you should be able to challenge her ideas. It’s the personal attacks that bug me.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #1506
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I think you should be able to challenge her ideas. It’s the personal attacks that bug me.
Could you find me the personal attacks against her from the past 3 pages?

Edit: I found one post that called her a princess. Was that the only thing in the last 3 pages that bugged you?

Last edited by Regorium; 10-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #1507
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Does she have ideas? I’ve yet to see any in any article I read about her.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #1508
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Edit: I found one post that called her a princess. Was that the only thing in the last 3 pages that bugged you?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
The little princess lost out on the Nobel prize so she will be in a vindictive mood.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #1509
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Here you go:
Pointed that out.

Amusingly, that's the only post that DownInFlames didn't respond to, if personal attacks were the only thing bothering him and not the other 50 posts of reasonable discourse.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #1510
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I like the idea that the only way some people can challenge her beliefs is to infer she is mentally unwell. That somehow that’s ok, and not embarrassing.

It seems a few of you missed the point. Challenge her views. Point out why they’re misguided. Point out the things she doesn’t understand because, let’s face it, she’s young enough that there’s bound to be plenty. But do it like adults.

Suggesting that a few adult men should be able to act their age, and not like they too are 16, does not seem controversial to me.

“Oh we cant criticise now? She’s asking for it!” Cool, try to be grown ups and see if you can do it without calling her princess or saying she needs “help.” Give it a go. Seems like most of you can, time for the stragglers to catch up.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #1511
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I like the idea that the only way some people can challenge her beliefs is to infer she is mentally unwell. That somehow that’s ok, and not embarrassing.

It seems a few of you missed the point. Challenge her views. Point out why they’re misguided. Point out the things she doesn’t understand because, let’s face it, she’s young enough that there’s bound to be plenty. But do it like adults.

Suggesting that a few adult men should be able to act their age, and not like they too are 16, does not seem controversial to me.

“Oh we cant criticise now? She’s asking for it!” Cool, try to be grown ups and see if you can do it without calling her princess or saying she needs “help.” Give it a go. Seems like most of you can, time for the stragglers to catch up.
Someone who says what she’s said sounds happy to you? “ i don’t want your hope, i want you to feel the fear i feel everyday”? Does that sound like a happy person?

I’m not attacking her. I feel bad for her. She’s entered into an extremely serious discussion which is difficult to undertake. How can you live a happy life even as some one with extremely thick skin in the type of role she’s taking on.

I mean, if i heard myself speak like that, i would go and enjoy life. No worldly problem is worth this.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #1512
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the girl's mental health is totally intertwined with her message. She drove herself completely nuts worrying about climate change by the time she was 8. Now that's more the message than anything real or imagined she's saying in her speeches. People love a good "out of the mouths of babes" moment.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #1513
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Why limit it to the past three pages? She’s been called a lot of nasty things in this thread and elsewhere. I’m too tired to look them up right now but they’re there.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #1514
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does she have ideas? I’ve yet to see any in any article I read about her.
I have no clue because I don’t pay any attention to her. The only people who seem to are climate groupies, for lack of a better term, and those desperate to discredit her.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 10-13-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #1515
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Leo DiCaprio her tour guide?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #1516
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which one of those wonderful groups in the US are funding her trip?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #1517
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

assuming she gets to Alberta something this week the timing is curious. I will also be interested to see if any of the political leaders also visit Alberta to bask in her anger.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #1518
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know about her current mental health, but I do worry for her over the long run. This poor girl ought to be in school and instead she’s being used as a pawn for people’s political agenda. I worry about what happens in say a year when it’s not salient any more and she’s effectively kicked to the curb.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #1519
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don’t know about her current mental health, but I do worry for her over the long run. This poor girl ought to be in school and instead she’s being used as a pawn for people’s political agenda. I worry about what happens in say a year when it’s not salient any more and she’s effectively kicked to the curb.
What’s the worry? She’s an activist taking a year off school. Once she’s done, she’ll go back to school and continue being an activist. What do you think is going to happen to her?

This “political pawn” narrative is just another thing people seem to hang on as a means of discrediting her without addressing her views. Who is using her as a pawn? World leaders that meet with her and get told they’re doing a poor job? Climate activists, of which she was one long before she became well known?

Honest questions.

And “poor girl”? Last I checked she was passionately pursuing something she feels is worth while. Seems a lot better than many alternatives.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #1520
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just laughing my ass off how much she seems to trigger and rile up the angry right. She is like their kryptonite. The reactions have been comical and highly entertaining.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: