Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #1041
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I’m screen mirroring with an iPad right now, and it is choppy on the signal. Plus, detail level like shadows are not shown. An Apple TV would fix the choppiness with its direct HDMI connection, but it is strangely limited to only two simultaneous Bluetooth connections.
Why not buy an ultra compact SFF PC if you are going to be using it on a TV like that? What are you looking to spend?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #1042
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I’m screen mirroring with an iPad right now, and it is choppy on the signal. Plus, detail level like shadows are not shown. An Apple TV would fix the choppiness with its direct HDMI connection, but it is strangely limited to only two simultaneous Bluetooth connections.
That's good to know. I've been looking into a good way to run Zwift in the near future as well and had looked at the system requirements page a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want me always needing her laptop for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Why not buy an ultra compact SFF PC if you are going to be using it on a TV like that? What are you looking to spend?
The Zwift video requirements might be a bit more than what most ultra compact PCs offer for graphics cards - onboard or otherwise.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #1043
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That's good to know. I've been looking into a good way to run Zwift in the near future as well and had looked at the system requirements page a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want me always needing her laptop for it!

The Zwift video requirements might be a bit more than what most ultra compact PCs offer for graphics cards - onboard or otherwise.
That's the thing, you can build something small ish and still have much better than most gaming laptop performance for cheaper.

Like this modest build in a small case + more than sufficient video card for 1080P graphics costs about $1000, and that is not even waiting on sales for the parts. Could probably get away with cheaper processor and video card too.

Heres another one <$1000.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-26-2020 at 02:59 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #1044
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gotta give a big ups to Memory Express. I've built 3 computers with them, and have never had any issues. I purchased warranty on them, as it sounded great should I have any issues (but was on the fence about the last build, as I've never had a problem). Last build was done ~May 2018

Late December I experienced 1 instance of artifacting and had to hard reset my computer. It wouldn't boot to windows - I took it in, and they reinstalled windows for me. However, when I brought it back home, less than a week later, I started getting the more graphical issues, and consistently - every game I tried to play would show artifacts and hard crash within 5 minutes.

Memory Express took it back, and bumped it to the front of the queue. They tested it, replicated the issue and determined my graphics card was shot. They replaced it with an equivalent card of the current generation - so my old 1080 Ti was swapped out for a brand new 2080 Ti.

The last month sucked, but I'm happy the system is working again (and a nice upgrade to boot)!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #1045
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I gotta give a big ups to Memory Express. I've built 3 computers with them, and have never had any issues. I purchased warranty on them, as it sounded great should I have any issues (but was on the fence about the last build, as I've never had a problem). Last build was done ~May 2018

Late December I experienced 1 instance of artifacting and had to hard reset my computer. It wouldn't boot to windows - I took it in, and they reinstalled windows for me. However, when I brought it back home, less than a week later, I started getting the more graphical issues, and consistently - every game I tried to play would show artifacts and hard crash within 5 minutes.

Memory Express took it back, and bumped it to the front of the queue. They tested it, replicated the issue and determined my graphics card was shot. They replaced it with an equivalent card of the current generation - so my old 1080 Ti was swapped out for a brand new 2080 Ti.

The last month sucked, but I'm happy the system is working again (and a nice upgrade to boot)!
Similar thing happened in November. Had a gaming laptop that was in month 36 of 36 from the IPR I bought for ~350 bucks back in 2016, about 2 weeks from expiry. I had lazily plugged it into the wall to do some work and left it on overnight, and we had a power surge. It bricked. I brought it in, they determined it was the mobo and of course, being a laptop there's no replacement part.

A week of tinkering later, they give me a laptop that's 3 lbs lighter, has a CPU that's 3 generations newer and much faster, and a GPU that's 2 generations newer and twice as fast as the old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #1046
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My case searches continue, I found this one which I really like:

Silverstone RL08. I really like Silverstone, and I like how this flips the motherboard so the video card is at the top (though I've been looking at vertical mounts too). Mesh front if I stick with air cooling, though I don't like the drive bay being there.

But needs a mATX board.. and I've got an i7-6700k which isn't the newer socket type on new motherboards. So I might stick to ATX, I don't really want to upgrade my whole system, though I didn't realize it's been what, 4 or 5 years since I upgraded last time?! Crazy.

Some AIO coolers put their pumps on the same PWM as the fans so the pumps can be slowed down, I like that idea to ensure the PC is near silent at idle.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #1047
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah I'm also a fan of the 'inverted' layout. Only niggle is any text on your GPU or other parts will be upside down.

Unless you are water cooling your GPU, vertical mount has been shown to cripple cooling due to how close the fans on 'top' are to the side of the case.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #1048
photon

Exp:

I've seen 3rd party kits that use the existing PCI slots area rather than the usual extra slots most cases add for the vertical mounting.. that pushes it further back towards the motherboard (and renders all the slots useless, but I probably don't care) from the side meaning it shouldn't be starved (I guess depending on the case).
Old 01-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #1049
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Yeah I'm also a fan of the 'inverted' layout. Only niggle is any text on your GPU or other parts will be upside down.

Unless you are water cooling your GPU, vertical mount has been shown to cripple cooling due to how close the fans on 'top' are to the side of the case.
What's the latest on water-cooling vs. air-cooling? I'm probably a year or two away from updating my rig (basically waiting on my TV to kick it and I can upgrade to 4K before I do), but do the new GPUs/CPUs need the extra cooling if you're only using it for gaming?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:25 PM   #1050
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The latest is unless you want to take the time to design and build a custom cooling loop or are working with a very unconventional/tight case layout, air cooling is cheaper, simpler, and just as effective.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #1051
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What's the latest on water-cooling vs. air-cooling? I'm probably a year or two away from updating my rig (basically waiting on my TV to kick it and I can upgrade to 4K before I do), but do the new GPUs/CPUs need the extra cooling if you're only using it for gaming?
Personally I like all in one water cooling. No maintenance and super easy to use with a better cooling performance but higher initial price.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX71899 for example
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #1052
photon

Exp:

Yeah I don't think you need water for even high performance gaming.

The only reason I'm considering an AIO at this point is some of the cases I like aren't really good for airflow or won't fit the large tower coolers.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #1053
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

A high-end air cooler will be cheaper, quieter, and in many cases more effective than water cooling. But unless you're overclocking you don't even need that, the included fan/heatsink from your CPU will do just fine
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #1054
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
... the included fan/heatsink from your CPU will do just fine
Intel has a long history of terrible boxed coolers.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #1055
photon

Exp:

Neat! Azza Cube 802

Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 PM   #1056
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 AM   #1057
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Neat! Azza Cube 802

As a senior statesman on this forum I have no idea what that is or why it's so cool. Someone help my ignorance here.

Damnit! I have enough problems keeping up with technology and now this
Old 03-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #1058
photon

Exp:

It's a computer case, and it looks neat IMO. Something different than the usual black or beige box sitting there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #1059
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just switched my gaming PC from win 7 to Linux Mint 19.3.

Anyone have any experience or tutorials for getting games to run on Linux from steam and epic games? Only having minimal success so far.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #1060
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Just switched my gaming PC from win 7 to Linux Mint 19.3.

Anyone have any experience or tutorials for getting games to run on Linux from steam and epic games? Only having minimal success so far.

There are a lot of good reasons to use Linux, gaming isn't one however
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: