Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #1841
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Goddamn that's embarrassing. I thought we were better than that. Some of these petrosexual types just can't help themselves can they.
Here's something you don't see every day. Video evidence of said vandal committing the actual crime. Two of them, actually.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1186370306988019712
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1842
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Here's something you don't see every day. Video evidence of said vandal committing the actual crime. Two of them, actually.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1186370306988019712
It's not a crime, nor is it vandalism. After reading the CBC article, it seems that the wall the artist did the mural on is a 'free wall', in that anyone with some paint and an idea can use. Kinda like the Rock up at U of C.

It's a shame that they chose to change the picture in the manner that they did, but it is not vandalism.

From the mural artist himself, in the very article you linked:
Quote:
Reached by email Sunday after the initial pro-oil message was painted, Louden said it's normal for artists to paint over each other's work as it's a free wall.

"Nothing lasts forever — one of my favourite things about that wall is that anyone is allowed to express themselves there, so I'm not upset at all. I haven't seen what went over it, but if anyone is upset about what was painted over the portrait, they can just paint back over it, it's not a big deal at all," Louden wrote.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 10-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #1843
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yeah you are right, it's a free wall and it's not a crime after all (this is what I meant, hence my post edit). I would argue that's mischief in normal circumstances but I always come at it from a "don't #### up other's murals" point of view

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 10-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #1844
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah you are right, it's a free wall and it's not a crime after all (this is what I meant, hence my post edit). I would argue that's mischief in normal circumstances but I always come at it from a "don't #### up other's murals" point of view
Well, my first thought was that it was great that CBC caught them vandalizing it. If it was a paid for/commissioned mural, or was on a private wall or something, it would have been a crime. But as soon as I read that it was a free wall, it went from a crime to simply eye-rollingly distasteful to me (aside from the slur, there's no call for that)
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #1845
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Well, my first thought was that it was great that CBC caught them vandalizing it. If it was a paid for/commissioned mural, or was on a private wall or something, it would have been a crime. But as soon as I read that it was a free wall, it went from a crime to simply eye-rollingly distasteful to me (aside from the slur, there's no call for that)
To be honest after seeing the original mural posted online, I was wondering how long it was going to take before some jackass decided to vandalize it. That was faster than I thought. I wonder if the War Room will give him VIP access to their troll farm as a reward
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #1846
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread is a microcosm of why nothing will get solved.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #1847
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teenage Canadian activists are planning to sue the federal government over climate change, claiming Ottawa's role in perpetuating the crisis violates their fundamental rights.
The impending lawsuit from 15 teens across Canada will claim they have "suffered specific, individualized injuries" due to climate change, interfering with their constitutional rights to life, liberty and security of the person.
They are also claiming the government's "contribution" to high levels of greenhouse gases and climate change infringes on their right to equality, since young people are disproportionately effected by long-term effects of a deteriorating climate.
Go live in a cave for a year without modern conveniences supported by fossil fuels, then come back and tell me how badly you want to sue the government. Ugh. Just ridiculous.

This is why you don't lie and exaggerate about climate change and gloss over the uncertainties. Because you create this garbage.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #1848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Go live in a cave for a year without modern conveniences supported by fossil fuels, then come back and tell me how badly you want to sue the government. Ugh. Just ridiculous.

This is why you don't lie and exaggerate about climate change and gloss over the uncertainties. Because you create this garbage.
And the Lawyers shall inherit the Earth. It'll be a wasteland....but they'll like that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #1849
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Counter sue them for the time that the government needs to waste on this thing.

You want to sue, its going to cost us several million in legal fees to defend this, and we're going to come after it when we win. You'll be working in our new Carbon Mines for the rest of your life.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #1850
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Counter sue them for consuming carbon energy.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #1851
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tesla's problem is the unprofitable Model 3 is cannibalizing the profitable Model S and X market.
This is not meant to be a gotcha, but this post came to mind when I saw the news of Tesla's earnings today. I was also of the belief that Tesla would be unprofitable for a while yet, but here we go...

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...n-musk-2019-10

Quote:
The company now says it expects "positive quarterly free cash flow going forward, with possible temporary exceptions," after it sank back to unprofitability earlier this year. "We continue to believe our business has grown to the point of being self-funding," Tesla said.

Despite the return to profitability, quarterly revenues fell compared to the previous year for the first time since 2012.

Tesla said its progress in ramping production of vehicles in China was ahead of schedule.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #1852
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This is not meant to be a gotcha, but this post came to mind when I saw the news of Tesla's earnings today. I was also of the belief that Tesla would be unprofitable for a while yet, but here we go...
Tesla had a "miracle" Q3 2018 too; before falling back onto large losses to start 2019. And YoY revenues are declining; so much for exponential growth of EV.

The Chinese ramp comes in time for the severe decline of EV sales in China as subsidies are cut.

https://technode.com/2019/10/11/chin...-sep-ev-sales/
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #1853
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've stopped paying attention to the Tesla doomsayers they've told me Tesla would be dead, again and again for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #1854
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Tesla had a "miracle" Q3 2018 too; before falling back onto large losses to start 2019. And YoY revenues are declining; so much for exponential growth of EV.

The Chinese ramp comes in time for the severe decline of EV sales in China as subsidies are cut.

https://technode.com/2019/10/11/chin...-sep-ev-sales/
Yet margins are way up and sales increasing, and demand increasing...

The Chinese subsidy cut is a red herring here as Chinese shipped sales were minimal. It's a new market for them so it's not going to decrease

They've proven the model 3 is very profitable, that's very good news for their future, no?
Old 10-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #1855
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yet margins are way up and sales increasing, and demand increasing...
Are they? I would say that year over year, the numbers aren't positive.

Quote:
It's a new market for them so it's not going to decrease
It's also not going to be big one either.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #1856
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Are they? I would say that year over year, the numbers aren't positive.

It's also not going to be big one either.
Oh? The Chinese electric car market is the biggest in the world. By quite a bit too
Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #1857
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Oh? The Chinese electric car market is the biggest in the world. By quite a bit too
Yes it is, but even there it's still a fraction of the total car market. And with subsidies disappearing, sales have fallen dramatically, meaning that Tesla shouldn't expect particularly higher sales that it does today.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #1858
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how they do over the next year with model 3 sales as rebates dry up and pent-up demand is satisfied. That, and real competition from the likes of Volvo, Volkswagen and Porsche, though most of that won't be hitting hard in the next year.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #1859
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm a big fan of Tesla and the idea of the electric car, but anyone who thinks it is the way forward to curb emissions is delusional.

We need to transition from coal -> clean glas -> nuclear - > renewables, pronto.

For some reason people think we can skip some of those steps but I think its pretty clear we can't.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #1860
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm a big fan of Tesla and the idea of the electric car, but anyone who thinks it is the way forward to curb emissions is delusional.

We need to transition from coal -> clean glas -> nuclear - > renewables, pronto.

For some reason people think we can skip some of those steps but I think its pretty clear we can't.
I don't think it is all or nothing. In a place like Quebec where they have excess hydro power they can go directly to electric cars and it will be a benefit. For vehicles that drive all day like delivery vehicles and semis(when the tech becomes workable) it will help reduce emissions(and dirty diesel particulates). For everyone to have an electric car, pronto? I don't think that is all that beneficial currently.