Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #1221
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think someone did that in the first few pages of this thread.

Carolina turned the deal down

I’ll be that nerd. There are no drafted NCAA players in the NHL series due to lack of licensing and amateur status so it would be missing Fox, who is a grade A prospect with a lot of trade value.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #1222
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think what Treliving didn’t say about Dougie speaks volumes. He barely thanked him for his service and really didn’t deny that he was a problem off the ice. Tre is one of the most politically correct GM’s in a league full of politically correct GM’s.

For someone as guarded as Treliving that was damn near his version of throwing a guy under the bus. I don’t think he thought much of Hamilton. Although he kept it professional and it was subtle of course, I feel like he made it clear that the organization had had enough of Dougie.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #1223
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what this means. "Meddle with a trade"?
He's the GM, his job is to make trades. How can he meddle with his something that he's supposed to be doing?
If you had said that to KK, I'd understand.
That is a fair Q.
I felt at the time it was more suitable than saying so are we going to expect you to make another sh###y trade.
I just wanted to let him know not all the STH are here to take selfies with you.
I was heated leading up to the introduction could I have been nice sure but I have spent closing in on 20 years as a STH and hold Treliving the absolute most responsible for hiring Gulutzan and the mess of this past season, the mess going into this draft. Treliving as GM is teflon every poor decision slides off him and nobody truly holds him accountable.
Some of us actually care about the quality of the team and the results and I wanted to be clear this meet and greet with STH is yet another lacking of accountability appearence for you BT.

If you had one shot would you take it.
I took it, so do most agree with my conduct nope.
But I took it and it is unlikely I will have other chances to tell the GM In a measure, I hold you accountable.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 06-23-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #1224
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The next observation I had is Treliving is often working with teams which there are connections and or personal knowledge such as Arizona. How does a I deal like this get done with the same team who we just acquired the coach from? The odds seem pretty low but here we are.

Really? I think the odds are high, since he has someone with direct knowledge of the players. Definitely Peters had input on this, not low odds at all.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #1225
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I felt at the time it was more suitable than saying so are we going to expect you to make another sh###y trade.
I just wanted to let him know not all the STH are here to take selfies with you.
I was heated leading up to the introduction could I have been nice sure but I have spent closing in on 20 years as a STH and hold Treliving the absolute most responsible for hiring Gulutzan and the mess of this past season, the mess going into this draft. Treliving as GM is teflon every poor decision slides off him and nobody truly holds him accountable.
Some of us actually care about the quality of the team and the results and I wanted to be clear this meet and greet with STH is yet another lacking of accountability appearence for you BT.

But I took it and it is unlikely I will have other chances to tell the GM In a measure, I hold you accountable.
I, for one, support your incredibly awkward social interactions and hope to hear about more of them in the future.

Don't let people get you down.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #1226
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I’ll be that nerd. There are no drafted NCAA players in the NHL series due to lack of licensing and amateur status so it would be missing Fox, who is a grade A prospect with a lot of trade value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Well, I just attempted this trade in Be a GM. The Carolina Hurricanes completely scoffed at my offer.

So there's that!
Found it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #1227
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I really don't like reading that Hamilton found out from TV. That's really poor form from the Flames organization.

We're much better than that.
It’s because it happened at the draft and all the media caught them going to register the trade. If it happens on a Sunday in the middle of July they call all the parties involved before it breaks.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #1228
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I think what Treliving didn’t say about Dougie speaks volumes. He barely thanked him for his service and really didn’t deny that he was a problem off the ice. Tre is one of the most politically correct GM’s in a league full of politically correct GM’s.

For someone as guarded as Treliving that was damn near his version of throwing a guy under the bus. I don’t think he thought much of Hamilton. Although he kept it professional and it was subtle of course, I feel like he made it clear that the organization had had enough of Dougie.
Yeah that interview was something else when you read between the lines. Certainly didn't sound like Dougie wanted to be in Calgary anymore and that the feeling may have been quite mutual.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #1229
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Well, with Hamilton returning a great defensemen in the deal I wonder if Brad is still pondering another defense for forward deal, as we technically haven't given up a defensemen position yet.

You've now got

Brodie - Giordano
Hanifin - Hamonic
Andersson - Stone
Kulak

Valimaki
Kylington

If I'm reading Brad's tendencies correctly matched with what he stated (purposely built up a large, skilled D-core to trade from for forwards) I bet he does the following this summer

1. Trade Brodie or Stone (Brodie for another top 6 forward, Stone for a depth forward)

2. Sign a cheap vet for the 7th spot for insurance

3. Wait and see if Valimaki or Kylington can take his job
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #1230
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
That is a fair Q.

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Never miss your chance to blow.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #1231
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're such a hero bud, fighting the battle. I personally care nothing for the results or team and just like wearing red and going out in minus twenty in the middle of winter.

I didn't think you could make yourself look even worse than you already had but you knocked it out the park. It's ok though because you clearly think a lot of yourself and don't care what others think because you're such a badass.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #1232
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah that interview was something else when you read between the lines. Certainly didn't sound like Dougie wanted to be in Calgary anymore and that the feeling may have been quite mutual.
I’m just getting caught up now.

Can someone link me to a post with a summary of this interview?

TIA
Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #1233
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think the opposite would be attacking gay people in the streets.

There was a tweet about how the players went to Moxies and Hamilton didn't go and went to the museum (lol intellectuals) implying it was a bad thing. It's crap like this which I think is dumb about hockey culture. First of all, Moxie's sucks, I wouldn't want to go there either. Second, not everyone is the same, and sometimes there are people who like to fly solo, or are a bit quirky. Why are these presented as character flaws.

This is a great post. There are lots of people who are introverts and just enjoy being connected in a different way. Not everyone has to mix in with the crowd that going out for drinks.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #1234
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is a fair Q.

Some of us actually understand the complexity of building and running a hockey entertainment enterprise in a competitive environment and the immense amount of risk, randomness, and luck involved in successful outcomes while still caring about the quality of the team and the results.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #1235
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This is a great post. There are lots of people who are introverts and just enjoy being connected in a different way. Not everyone has to mix in with the crowd that going out for drinks.
But there’s a bit of a disconnect here. Just because he’d rather go to a museum than go for drinks doesn’t mean his teammates don’t like him. I doubt being an introvert is a huge deal either.

NHL teams have way different personalities. Young single guys, married guys, guys new to the country etc.

You think Kipper was ostracized because he’d rather be by himself fishing than partying? Or Stajan would rather see his wife and kids than go to a club?

If Dougie didn’t get along with his teammates, and that’s a big if as I don’t think Tre’s comments were for sure suggesting this, I doubt it’s as simple as “he’s boring”.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #1236
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Restraining order?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #1237
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Interesting Flames TV clip with Leslie having Peters on. Just posted I think on Twitter.
Edit here: https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/one...092/c-60669703

At the end, said when asked about talking with Treliving this weekend, there has been a couple trade scenarios this weekend, one with the guys he’s had in Carolina and another with guys he’s had internationally...

McDavid to Calgary E6
I can tell you a little about this. Might be a little far fetched...? BP doesn’t talk shop at home/family events ever. However, he was talking/raving about Ryan O’Reilly... that’s it, that’s all. But I know he was high on him.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #1238
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Whenever I read stuff like that it just makes me feel even better about the trade.
Also seemed like cherry picked negativity. Looking at the Reddit forum (a much more... Moderate outlook generally and it seems pretty mixed.

Most seem to miss the players they are losing, ate stoked about Hamilton and lol about Peters...

The opinions towards Peters scares me a bit, but reaction to the trade seems pretty balanced.

looks_like_lindholm_and_hanifin_are_going_to
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #1239
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't know if Hamilton was a cancer in the locker room.
We don't know if he was unhappy as a Flame.
But I do know what we saw after games and that was Hamilton being a comic frequently and making his team mates laugh.
We do know Gio, Monahan, Johnny have all commented on interviews Hamilton was one of the funniest guys on the team.
We also know several players have posted tweets and IG how they liked playing with him and have wished him the best.
That doesn't sound like a bad guy.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #1240
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personal opinion, weird trade. I find it hard to like.

- Doesn't solve the logjam on the blueline.
- Doesn't add a forward, which was a clear need.
- Both guys in are lesser goalscorers than the guys sent out, and scoring goals was already a major issue on the team.

Lindholm might be an upgrade on Ferland, but he's definitely not the RW we're looking for, because his shot isn't much and he's kind of on the soft side. (Plus he says he greatly prefers playing center.) Even though he's smart and adds skill to the lineup, I have trouble seeing where he's going to slot in in a way that really adds points.

Of course we now have a ton of cap space, plus it's possible to make further moves, and maybe Peters find the perfect spot for him, but right now I'm more just "huh?" and kind of bending on "don't like it". But mostly I'm just "huh?"

Last edited by Itse; 06-23-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: