Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #2201
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The view from the Bernie-left... And honestly, pretty tough to argue with.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1293281978398121984
The counter argument is that people can learn and become better people over time. Kamala's record sucks (as does Biden's), but it's laughable to compare theirs with Trump's/Pence's.

I think it's a fair position to say that Biden and Harris should be given an opportunity to show that they are not the same people today that they were when they did those nasty things back then (back when the political climate was very different, btw).
Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #2202
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I was being polite.

Mentioning her past is not cause for embarrassment.

And, as an aside, I disagree that she has “earned what she has today.” Let’s be honest here. She got the vp pick because she is a woman and is “of color.” Neither of which she had any personal role in doing.
Did not earn it? FFS - she overcame big disadvantages to get to this point.

Her resume is incredible.

Last edited by troutman; 08-11-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #2203
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
And I think much the same can be said for most of those who were in favour of the Iraq war back then; they wouldn't have been in favour of it if they had known how disastrous it was going to turn out. It is an unproven assumption to say that Bush et al had malicious intent at the time. Think about what you would do as president back then - your country is fresh off a direct attack on its soil which killed thousands, your generals and intelligence agencies are screaming at you to go into Iraq to disable Saddam's WMD capability, and your country is in the mood for war and retribution. Saying no to going into Iraq wouldn't have been as easy a decision as we would like to think it was.

But since we're talking about death counts, the death toll attributable to climate change will in all likelihood dwarf the death toll of the Iraq war. Bush refused to implement Kyoto citing economic reasons, but he did not flat out deny climate change as Trump has done. To me, that is a significant difference.

Ok, maybe I need to read some history. In the meantime though, here are some resources I would recommend that you take a look at to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the Trump presidency.

Here are some appetizers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eading-claims/
https://youtu.be/cFEt0-CJaWQ
https://youtu.be/fIN8oxnw__I
https://youtu.be/GM1w8_dOcR8
https://youtu.be/UBvggMd4hAg
https://youtu.be/OvEbMOZirP4

And the main course:

https://rantt.com/three-unpresidented-years

1095 separate blogs posts, one covering each day of the first 3 years of Trump's presidency. Happy reading!
I'm just amazed that someone would post Cody's Showdy clips in response to someone who clearly consumes that content and leave out just how much Cody despises Biden.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #2204
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was being polite.

And, as an aside, I disagree that she has “earned what she has today.” Let’s be honest here. She got the vp pick because she is a woman and is “of color.” Neither of which she had any personal role in doing.
Jesus Christ, dude. I'm not a fan of this pick, but you're literally going with slut-shaming in 2020?
Old 08-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #2205
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
She got the vp pick because she is a woman and is “of color.”
The other front runners were all women. Not even the right is saying that Harris is the pick because she's a woman.

Also, you don't need to put "of color" in quotes as if being Black is a ruse and not a real thing. Biden didn't exactly need to make up a ton of ground among Black voters. You're hopeless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #2206
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm just amazed that someone would post Cody's Showdy clips in response to someone who clearly consumes that content and leave out just how much Cody despises Biden.
Trump & Biden both suck... we all know that. The point is Trump is a crazed authoritarian fascist maniac and an existential threat to America and the world. As far as I can tell, Biden is not. If I'm wrong about that, show me the evidence. Show me something close to what I've shown you and I'll rethink my position.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #2207
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was being polite.

And, as an aside, I disagree that she has “earned what she has today.” Let’s be honest here. She got the vp pick because she is a woman and is “of color.” Neither of which she had any personal roll in doing.
There are probably 60 or 70 million women of colour in the US, Harris got the pick because she has a law degree, then won elections to become DA in SF then won election as the State Attorney General, then won election as Senator, ripped the GOP's picks apart with aplomb on the Judiciary commitee, she also brings a voting bloc with her in the same way that Mike Pence is VP purely because his pick shored up the evangelical voting bloc, thats the same as every other VP in history.

Your attitude at this point is disgusting, you embody everything that people of colour and women have had to fight against in the brief period of history we have been supposed to treat them as equals.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #2208
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trump & Biden both suck... we all know that. The point is Trump is a crazed authoritarian fascist maniac and an existential threat to America and the world. As far as I can tell, Biden is not. If I'm wrong about that, show me the evidence. Show me something close to what I've shown you and I'll rethink my position.
The choice is a nativist fascist vs. corporatist neoliberal lap dog, and, in this instance, yes I agree the latter is a better choice.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #2209
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I thought Pence was chosen because he looked like Bobby Knight.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #2210
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think he likes any politician, and for that matter, neither do I. I think most are just terrible people regardless of what side of the spectrum they are from. I find him pretty funny though.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #2211
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Try Politico. Or Harper’s Bazaar. The stories are out there.
Ok, I found one custom made for you:

Quote:
It’s recently come to light that, 20 years ago, Kamala Harris dated former San Francisco mayor Willie Brown. While Brown was still married at the time, he had been estranged from his wife since 1981. Harris and Brown broke up in 1995.
Quote:
On Monday, the Former mayor issued a very brief statement to SFGate entitled “Sure, I dated Kamala Harris. So What?” In it he mentioned he certainly helped her career, but he “also helped the careers of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Gov. Gavin Newsom, Sen. Dianne Feinstein and a host of other politicians. The difference is that Harris is the only one who, after I helped her, sent word that I would be indicted if I 'so much as jaywalked' while she was D.A.”
Quote:
Many opponents of Harris have not handled this quite so well .. calling her either a gold digger or a prostitute ... But this is a remarkably gendered attack, and, if you’re a sexist, a fairly brilliant one.
Quote:
Assuming that a woman’s success is directly tied to a man she knew 20 years ago is fairly absurd, regardless ... reaffirms a worldview pleasing to those who’d like to believe that men are the ones with the real power, and, if a woman ever exerts power, it’s been generously bestowed on her by a man.
Quote:
The people horrified by Kamala Harris’ actions are not, I do not think, largely horrified by extramarital affairs. If they were, they could not tolerate a President who cheated on his pregnant wife. But then, that would mean holding men to the same standards as women.
And finally:

Quote:
For sexists, the hubbub around Kamala Harris acts as a convenient reminder to other women thinking of running that, if you choose to, you had better have married your high school sweetheart. Otherwise, your past may not be pure enough to satisfy people.

None of which is to say that Kamala Harris’ record shouldn’t be examined. There are many career choices she’s made which are good, and many she’s made which aren’t. But perhaps we could look at those choices, rather than looking at who she dated. You know, as we would with a male candidate.
You know, because you asked.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ing-explained/

Painting a relationship Harris had 25 year ago as "sleeping around to get ahead" is sexist, plain and simple. And so is suggesting she only got the VP pick because she was a woman.

If the clear sexism apparent in your descriptions of Harris' old relationship and her qualifications wasn't enough, the fact that you see those and compare Trump, who is infinitely less qualified and has his own history of being handed financial gain he did not earn, as well as an actual history of cheating and claims of sexual abuse, and think "this might make me vote for Trump" makes it pretty clear what you actually value, so stop pretending any time.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 08-11-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #2212
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293307198194487297
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #2213
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harris got picked because she is a good legislator, extremely smart, is tough as nails, and scares the #### out of Republicans. That she is a woman and of mixed race is a contributing factor, but the same could be said if Rice or any of the other candidates under consideration were given the post. Harris is by far the most qualified and the one that has potential to be a game changer. She will stand toe-to-toe with Trump and Pence in a pick measuring contest and come out the winner. Kamala Harris has a #### to Pence and Trump's tiny winkies. Neither of them want to debate her or engage her in a rhetorical battle. She will make them look like fools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #2214
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Kamala Harris has a #### to Pence and Trump's tiny winkies.
wtf did you just say?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #2215
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's a fair position to say that Biden and Harris should be given an opportunity to show that they are not the same people today that they were when they did those nasty things back then (back when the political climate was very different, btw).
Most of my impressions of her were gleaned from the campaign for the Democratic Nomination that she just imploded in, and my impression is that she's not persuasive and comes across as transparently fake. Plastic politicians, regardless of their gender or ethnicity, are not good horses to bet on right now. And yes, from a policy perspective, you and I might be willing to give her a chance to show that she's a better person than she used to be, but that does not change the fact that her past is a liability as a campaigner.

Now, obviously people should still vote for the democratic ticket. I said earlier that that would be the case even if Biden had picked Trump's daughter as his running mate. If that wasn't obvious enough, he could be running with a sack of potatoes as his VP pick and he'd still be far preferable. But that doesn't mean we can't wish he'd chosen someone else.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #2216
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293314023060942849
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #2217
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if she did sleep her way to the top, who gives a ####? We're perfectly okay as a society with elites buying and using nepotism to get ahead, but God damn if someone takes a couple dicks, that's where we draw the line!
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #2218
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Come on, it's Trump. That's a decision he has never sweated. He'll be banging on both buttons so hard they'll break.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #2219
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even if she did sleep her way to the top, who gives a ####?
Seriously. Has no one read about the many US presidents since the US has had presidents, who slept around & slipped it around on their way to the presidency & indeed, during their presidencies? But I guess it's ok because dangly wobblers are somehow exempt and ###ajays must be punished.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:38 AM   #2220
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Seriously. Has no one read about the many US presidents since the US has had presidents, who slept around & slipped it around on their way to the presidency & indeed, during their presidencies? But I guess it's ok because dangly wobblers are somehow exempt and ###ajays must be punished.
Or it could be just people being people and are horny by nature

And even into her late 40's she was pretty hot, maybe it was the guys doing the begging!

Closed Thread