Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #1121
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Between Scheer and Trudeau, one fought and won to get gender identity added to the Canadian Human Rights Act list, the other actively opposed it. That's all I need to know about their ability and want to help the LGBT+ community.

This was in 2017, so we don't need to bring up anything a decade ago.
Yes, you've routinely lied about that in this thread, despite it having been pointed out to you over and over what that debate was about.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #1122
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
FFS indeed. This is why Canada is in such a mess (make no mistake it is). Trudeau is a ####ing PRETEND champion of rights and equality. Let me get this straight, it's better to vote for a massive hypocrite because he SAYS over and over he's equality jesus. Doesn't matter he did something more racist than any PM in recent memory.
I agree without that JT puts on a very good performance. However, I think that you are focusing to much on the individuals. The people who prioritize social issues are voting against who a party represents. I don't think many people think Andrew Scheer is a homophobic pro lifer. That said, homophobic pro lifers vote for Scheer. Additionally, they would not vote for someone who receives the share of pro LGBTQ and pro abortion rights vote. People will associate party views with the views of their supporters. The lived experience influences ideological assumptions.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #1123
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
FFS indeed. This is why Canada is in such a mess (make no mistake it is). Trudeau is a ####ing PRETEND champion of rights and equality. Let me get this straight, it's better to vote for a massive hypocrite because he SAYS over and over he's equality jesus. Doesn't matter he did something more racist than any PM in recent memory.
here's the thing:

perception is everything. people are seemingly fine with trudeau in blackface because its really not a gigantic deal in the grand scheme(makes him a hypocrite, definitely) and he apologized

on the other hand you have andrew scheer who is unapologetically personally against 2 individuals getting married because of their sex, though he would never legislate based on that personal belief

the problem here is that the first case is something people can relate to, making incredibly stupid mistakes and (at least on the surface) trying to atone for them and meaning no offense, though it is offensive. the second is a guy holding bigoted beliefs that do not reflect the views of most canadians. the two are running for leadership of the country and many many people do not want someone who has archaic bigoted beliefs to be the leader of the country, regardless of whether or not he legislates on it

so basically, how on god's green flat earth does the conservative brain trust not realize this and pick someone else? pick a leader who has modern canadian views on social issues and this should have been a layup of an election, and instead rob ford anti-gay mania was able to run rampant. SURELY there is someone in the entire conservative party who has not publicly stated they dont personally disagree with abortions or same sex marriage

Last edited by stone hands; 10-23-2019 at 11:11 AM.
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #1124
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yes, you've routinely lied about that in this thread, despite it having been pointed out to you over and over what that debate was about.
Ah, are we taking the Jordan Peterson route on this one?
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #1125
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is the carbon tax being portrayed as such a boogeyman? I can't speak to the corporate side of things, but are individuals being tangibly impacted by it? I don't feel like I have.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #1126
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lied?

The Bill in it's entirety was adding four words to the Canadian Human Rights Act under the the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination

"gender identity or expression"

Scheer opposed it. He never fully explained why, but I'm sure he would parrot the same "But then we'll be forced to touch genitals like look at Yaniv!!" Except that was shot down anyways...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #1127
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ah, are we taking the Jordan Peterson route on this one?
I figure we should stick to the Andrew Scheer route, since that's the person whose position on the matter was actually being misstated.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #1128
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why is the carbon tax being portrayed as such a boogeyman? I can't speak to the corporate side of things, but are individuals being tangibly impacted by it? I don't feel like I have.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #1129
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I figure we should stick to the Andrew Scheer route, since that's the person whose position on the matter was actually being misstated.
But there are so many routes we could take! We didn't even get into the TERFs yet!
Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #1130
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cause it's stupid. The CPC plan was much better.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #1131
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Carbon tax is a cash grab because we don't have anything to replace the carbon energy with, not short term. An actual plan would lay out what we will be doing for the next 40 years or more, not making impossible promises.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #1132
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
What has it done to reduce carbon emissions?...the stated goal of its entire existence!

That's why its such a stupid "plan". It penalizes you and me but allows the single greatest emitters in the country massive discounts. The whole thing is absurd.

Its another fallacy that the Liberals sold and people bought into. They really are the masters of it.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #1133
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were we given a timeframe on how long the Liberals were expecting it to take before we saw a reduction in emissions? Be pretty stupid to expect it overnight. It took BC 11 years to see our remissions decline by 3.7%.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #1134
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Trudeau just said they will go forward with TMX.

KILLING ALBERTA!
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #1135
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
You're ignoring the fact that Scheer would vote for anti abortion legislation if it came down to it. He didn't say it wouldn't see the light of day initially. He changed his tune too late and it seemed disingenuous.

He said he wouldn't re-open it but he can't stop MP's from bringing it forward and that he'd vote pro life if he had to.

He only changed his tune in recent weeks.

What he needed to say was despite my personal beliefs I will vote to maintain the status quo if I were required to vote.

Even if he isn't going to re-open the topic he certainly doesn't sound like he would make access easier, and when you allow anti - abortion activists/protesters be representatives of your party you're also sending a clear signal.

Despite the fact that you might not care about the issue you can't downplay what those rights and that access means to some just like they shouldn't downplay what a pipeline means to some.

With the recent anti abortion laws that passed in several US states people have a right to be concerned.

For the record I legitimately believe that Scheer had no desire to re-open it but the way he answered the questions cost him because he was too much of a coward to step up and put his religious views to the side.

For me a candidate being overly religious is already a strike against, and it's the same for others whether that's a part of their platform or not. If I believe their religious views are going to influence their policy I'm out. Period.
Sigh...thats EXACTLY what he did say fer chrissakes. Its law. I mean Trudeau is a practicing catholic...what do catholics believe in regards to abortion?

Im entirely pro-choice and this didnt even cause a damn blink for me, but now that he has been re-elected I should fear he will change things right?

No? Is it because he has said he would never re-open the debate and that is good enough? OK then...same for both and this issue is now a non-issue...as i have said repeatedly.

And will you please leave US politics out of this stuff...has literally NOTHING to do with Canada. Just another false narrative the left has bought into, hook, line and sinker.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #1136
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If Scheer would have in the French Language debate had turned to Trudeau on the initial attack on Abortion rights would have said "Wait a minute, you're position is pretty much the same as mine, We're both Catholics, we both disagree with abortion on a personal level, but we'll both defend the right to it. He would have put Justin on the defensive.

I think one of the biggest failings in the Conservative Campaign was their war room was horrible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #1137
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post

KILLING ALBERTA!
Trudeau has said a lot of things that he doesn’t believe to be true. Are there still people in this country that take anything the guy says seriously?? That’s incredible.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #1138
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

KILLING ALBERTA!
Said that selling our oil at a discount to US is not good and TMX will open the market up to other countries.

Still waiting on the swerve that this was all a ploy to screw over Alberta.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #1139
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

But didn't he also say he would not stop any of his members from bringing forth a private members bill to change that law?
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #1140
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

KILLING ALBERTA!

Until I see actually pipe going into BC, and Trudeau taking a hard stance on it, I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Saying he's going forward and actually engaging in a fight with his base is two different things.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote