Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The dirty, dirty V word

I did a quick search on here, and although I found tons of hits, there didn't appear to be a thread on vasectomies, so here goes...

We have 2 kids and agreed a year ago that there will be no more, so I'm going under the knife.

I thought I had an idea how it happened until I saw a website where they say "No needles, no incisions, quick" etc. The tagline on the website is "The Gentle Vasectomy". BS. I also will not go there as it seems there other main service is infant circumcisions, but I won't get started on that one.

Anyone want to weigh in here on a few things?
One website in Calgary says "Cost effective". I assume they mean more cost effective than providing for a child. Isn't this fully covered by AHC?
I tried googling a video and that was a stupid mistake. Can you tell me how they do it this century if there is no incision and no needles?
Please don't tell me it's somehow related to a savage entry through the urethra.
And honestly....how much does it hurt? "It doesn't hurt" like getting a tattoo doesn't hurt?, or "it wasn't that bad" when recalling a horrific accident 10 years later?

Anything else I should know?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh. Thats what you meant by V word...
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyFlamesFirst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently it's not the procedure that hurts; its the recovery.

I know of at least 3 guys who have had to have it done more than once due to complications.....

...That's all I got, because I'm equipped with the "other" V word...
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been seed free for 10+ years and had it done when they savagely made a tiny incision. There was a couple of uncomfortable tugs on the supply lines but it didn't hurt. You're out in 15 minutes.

Sounds like you need to put on the big girl panties and man up.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be awesome to get tied at 18 and just blast anywhere and everywhere without worry and then get it untied when you're married. Seriously.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
It would be awesome to get tied at 18 and just blast anywhere and everywhere without worry and then get it untied when you're married. Seriously.
Will keep that in mind for future reference.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion based solely on my experience - it's no big deal. I went to the Vazman on 14th Street and he's like a NASCAR pit crew - in and out in 15 minutes with virtually no discomfort.

They give you some T3 for the pain - I think I took them but I doubt I needed them. In a day or two you'll be ready to risk breaking one off just to 'see if it's different'
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

As for the procedure it went like this:

- Pants off and on the chair, paper window over you legs so you're bullocks are all that's hanging out.
- slaver it all down in iodine.
- couple needles for freezing, not as bad as you think. I've hurt my sack worse with my clippers.
- he makes a puncture hole with some scissors and then brings all the wires and tubes out through that hole.
- snip, burn - no pain
- snip, burn - no pain
- gauze on the entry point.
- done

The entry hole is so small you don't need sutures.

The best part is that you need to clean the pipes I think 30 times before you're good to go. That's was my wife's end of the bargain!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurt like hell, during and for a day after. During was worse, hot needle in the balls pain, after was just like getting sacked in soccer only didn't go away after 5 minutes
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Hurt like hell, during and for a day after. During was worse, hot needle in the balls pain, after was just like getting sacked in soccer only didn't go away after 5 minutes
Wow - our experiences couldn't be more different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I went to vasman on 14th as well. I think it hurt more than coys is letting on but still not as bad as everyone else thinks.
Thanks Fotze! I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm some sort of tough guy. God I scream like a child when I stub my toe and I've thought I was dying from a heart attack when I pulled some chest muscles once.

Maybe because I was terrified and over blew it? Maybe I got super good freezing or maybe Vazman brought his A game i don't know - but I'd rather this done again than any sort of dental work or muscle pull.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The most important question is do you trim up prior or do you grow it out like ZZ Top to not seem like a gay guy?
I think you shave in a lightning bolt.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

How much does it cost?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was told to shave it smooth before I went in, apparently it reduces the chance that a hair gets clamped in, so that reduces infection opportunity.

When I had mine done, it was pretty uncomfortable for about a week and a half after, but I am guessing it is because I am a bigger guy and my boys are probably bounced around and squished by my legs a bit more than normal.

It isn't covered by AHC, or if it is it isn't fully covered. I remember the place I went was a couple hundred.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Visited Dr. Burn (bad name, good doc). The most actual "pain" in my experience was the freezing shot. He does give you a small hit of I believe Valium which helps relax you. The pain was really no worse than a needle in your arm when they draw blood. It was that pinching feeling. I've had needles in my jaw for fillings which hurt worse. The procedure you feel nothing and was as described above.

In and out in a few minutes with prescription for T3s in hand. I filled the prescription but never bothered with them. I felt sore like you got nailed in the junk really hard and there was a bit of an ache. I had it done on a Thursday afternoon, stayed home Friday, but I was well enough I was at a stag Friday night. I was sore for the weekend and took a week or so before I biked into work.

Like anything, results vary. There are some guys who have horror stories of swelling and pain however that seems to be the minority. I seem to recall a full recovery is typically a week to ten days for most. Really, like a prostate exam, I think guys build it up to more than it typically is. There's a reason why ten years after you don't really remember it that much because it really doesn't scar you for life.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
i think the freezing is what hurt the most. Right after he injects whatever it is in the tube he says "Now you are going to feel some tightness in about 5 seconds" Sure enough, but it was not tightness but that last scene in braveheart. Actually buckled forward and had both fists cocked. Probably shouldn't punch him in the top of the head though.

I think that was the worst part, the rest was just quite uncomfortable. Wasn't a fan being spreadeagled in front of a stranger either.

The most important question is do you trim up prior or do you grow it out like ZZ Top to not seem like a gay guy?
LOL, I seriously almost woke up my sleeping kids laughing at this comment.

Personally I went to the Intramed Medical Centre in the SW and my experience was more like Coys1882. Just had a slight discomfort during the procedure and some achyness the next day.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my wires pulled a number of years ago, I believe it cost me $240 or so, there is some weird reason why. I went to a guy my doctor recommended in lake chaparral. As described above the procedure was over in 15 or so minutes, hardest part was was hearing/smelling the cauterizing.

I will note that I did have some complications and my genital region did become quite black and blue, sort of like i had been kicked in the crotch by a mule. and the boys looked more like a pair of nfl middle linebackers (swollen like a couple of grapefruit). My doctor said I was the one in 10,000 or so that this happens to.

Had to laugh as one day I bumped into the doctor in sportchek and he was asking me how things were.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I had heard that the procedure cost a couple hundred, but I wasn't charged anything. Had a preliminary appt, then had procedure booked on a Friday (the only day he did them). Saturday I spent pretty much on the couch, and full recovery took a couple more days.

Really, a small price to pay to not have to worry about covering up any more, and no more worries about condoms breaking.

The most curious thing was the nurse helper for which it was her first day working in that clinic, or first "v" day at least. Not exactly a modest thing.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't there some reversible injection you can get now?
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

a couple of my buddies have had it done.

one had it done in the morning and played hockey that night.
another had it done and said it felt like getting kicked in the junk repeatedly for 3 days

so i guess you don't know what it will be like until you experience it yourself.

i play goal for a group of accountants every wednesday night. one of the guys last played in the echl a couple years ago. earlier this year he unloaded a slapshot that caught me right in the junk. i have never had pain like that in my life. i'm hoping when my 'time comes' to go see the doc that it won't hurt that bad