Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #241
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we pick Nylander and he turns out to be good but we still need size, it shouldn't be too hard to trade a winger for a winger.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #242
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Jeff Marek, on Marek vs Wyshinsky mentioned that John Davidson - President of Hockey Ops for Columbus, mentioned to him that as far as they are concerned it's a two player top end and not a top-three. This opened the discussion to the idea of Columbus trading down and trying to clear out some of their bad contracts in the process.

I would be very interested in the Flames trying to jump up and grab #3 depending on the price. It would likely involve taking on someone like Dubinsky, Foligno, Clarkson (ugh), or possibly a Jack Johnson.

Would that be worth it?

Say picks 6, 28, Rasmus Andersson and Wideman for 3, 35, and ... Foligno?
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #243
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Jeff Marek, on Marek vs Wyshinsky mentioned that John Davidson - President of Hockey Ops for Columbus, mentioned to him that as far as they are concerned it's a two player top end and not a top-three. This opened the discussion to the idea of Columbus trading down and trying to clear out some of their bad contracts in the process.

I would be very interested in the Flames trying to jump up and grab #3 depending on the price. It would likely involve taking on someone like Dubinsky, Foligno, Clarkson (ugh), or possibly a Jack Johnson.

Would that be worth it?

Totally do that trade all day. We don't have the cap space to really pull it off though. Your deal nets us Folingo, while overpaid, would address the need for a top 6 winger here.

I could see Columbus trading down with Vancouver and not having to take on any bad contracts like they do in your scenario. The Nucks have 2 high seconds and cap space. They could take one of those players and offer up 5, 33 and 34 to draft a fin. We can't pull it off without sending back a bad contract.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #244
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would that be worth it?

I would be beyond shocked if Columbus passed on Puljujarvi. I'd love to trade up and get him, but I don't think that's a realistic possibility.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #245
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Burke's head might explode but 92 to 93 would be a lot of fun to watch.
Why would Burke's head explode? This is a guy who had a #1 line of Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne. Prime Bennett should be more of a physical beast than any of those three.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #246
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Why would Burke's head explode? This is a guy who had a #1 line of Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne. Prime Bennett should be more of a physical beast than any of those three.
Numbers > 35.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #247
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am with you here. I really hope we can get one of the power forward wingers but getting the speedy, skilled right shot is not a bad consolation prize by any means. Hearing Benning talk about rather having a first line winger than top 4 Dman makes me believe that they take who is left of Tkachuk and Dubois.

Oilers could be a wild card. I don't see them taking a Dman at 4 but could see them trading the pick outright for a player, trading down, or take one of those power forwards.
Oilers will take a forward, they always do. They don't need defence.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #248
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Numbers > 35.
Ah. That makes sense then.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #249
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The excuse for why the Oilers haven't drafted a defenceman (besides Nurse) early always seems to be "we need a top defender now, not in 3 or 4 years". I actually agree with that.

I think it's funny though that they were saying this 3-4 years ago as well, and look where they are now.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #250
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The excuse for why the Oilers haven't drafted a defenceman (besides Nurse) early always seems to be "we need a top defender now, not in 3 or 4 years". I actually agree with that.

I think it's funny though that they were saying this 3-4 years ago as well, and look where they are now.
You can trade for or sign via free agency a top 4 defenseman but most of the time the only way to get a franchise defenseman is to draft him. Oilers wasted so many years trying to plug holes they are still in the same situation of needing a top pairing. If they are going to take a defenseman though why wouldn't they trade back at at least recoup an asset as there looks to be a log jam of defensemen in the 7-12 spots.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #251
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we could get the #3 pick then you take a bad contract back and make something work. Buy someone out give away a player or two.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #252
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Would that be worth it?

As much as the idea of puljujarvi has me salivating , Rasmuss Andersson is a prospect im not moving anytime soon
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #253
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
As much as the idea of puljujarvi has me salivating , Rasmuss Andersson is a prospect im not moving anytime soon
If that trade is on the table, you take it 12 times out of 10 IMO.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #254
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Would that be worth it?

Would Bobrovsky be a guy that would interest the Flames?. Big contract and had some injuries. Columbus did play Korpisalo alot when Bobrovsky was injured and he looked good.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #255
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Would Bobrovsky be a guy that would interest the Flames?. Big contract and had some injuries. Columbus did play Korpisalo alot when Bobrovsky was injured and he looked good.
I'd be 765% interested in Bob.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #256
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Columbus trade seems too good to be true. I'm skeptical their going to trade the pick. Not for Rasmus Andersson anyways. Foligno had a bad year but I'm not sure that completely kills his value. Not in the trade proposed here anyway. Would love to see us move up though so if the price is right I hope were all over it.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #257
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I too see it as a top tier of two. But then its followed by Puljujarvi alone in his tier at 3. I still think the price to trade out of there would be pretty crazy. We could probably pay it but I'm not sure we'd want to.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #258
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I too see it as a top tier of two. But then its followed by Puljujarvi alone in his tier at 3. I still think the price to trade out of there would be pretty crazy. We could probably pay it but I'm not sure we'd want to.
Yup. Any trade proposal without Monahan, Bennett or Gaudreau is all for none. Columbus doesn't want a couple more picks and/or spare parts for a potential franchise finnish player.

I'm not willing to part with any of those 3 that's for sure.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #259
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

#3 + #35 + David Clarkson (buyout purposes?) for #6 + #28(ish) + Prospect (Andersson?) + Wideman.

BJ's end up saving $5.25 for all of eternity, gain a prospect like Andersson or an equal quality player, and the picks move a few spots each way.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #260
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Columbus were to actually consider Foligno or Bob a salary dump, I would be happy to take on that kind of anchor. Three years of an established goaltender or five years of a gritty team leader RW in his prime. Ok, sign me up.

Clarkson though, keep the 6th.