Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #141
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't seen that option on the Koodo website. Typically though the resellers like Wow Mobile or the Mobile Shop have better deals on new account activation.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #142
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
I haven't seen that option on the Koodo website. Typically though the resellers like Wow Mobile or the Mobile Shop have better deals on new account activation.
Thanks just didn't want to deal with the hassle and the weird looks when trying to convince the salesperson to set me up with a Sask line in Ab.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #143
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I believe you have to go through the same procedure (go in store acquire a sim card with SK # and so on).

Just don't tell them you want the $50 plan right away. Say you want a basic minutes plan with SK # for work. Nothing fancy.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #144
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Even if you can't get an out of province # right away, there's a loophole with Alberta area code numbers that allow you to switch to a SK or MB number on the self-serve. You just need to wait until the first billing period ends (about 8 days) then you can switch to the $48 plan. Once you get the plan, port in the phone number you want to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #145
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I asked in the cell phone thread. I should have asked here.

Can we bring Québec plans in the same way, or does it have to be the Saskatchewan/Manitoba plan?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #146
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CalgaryFan1988, if you get a Quebec number for your Koodo account, you'll be able to switch to any Quebec applicable plans.
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #147
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same plan is $60 in QC, not $48. If you are porting a number, better to use SK or MB rates.
Still $90 in AB is effed up.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #148
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Playing around with the Koodo self-serve today, I discovered that I can add a phone with a new line to my existing Sask plan .
I didn't go ahead with it, as my intent is to buy a phone outright, but Im curious if it would actually let me add another Sask line to my plan.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #149
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a couple of questions about this since I recently spoke to Rogers about my month to month service and was told they could lower my bill by a max of 5 bucks a month but I had to give up a certain calling feature.

Has anyone here done this with Fido instead of Koodo? I have a valid Manitoba address where I spend >10% of the year, and Fido has basically the same thing as the Koodo plan in Manitoba. I figured it might be better to go the Fido route since I'm already familiar with Rogers' network and its limitations.

My second question is related to locked/unlocked phones. I have an iPhone 5 which I got with a Rogers contract in December of 2012. It's almost certain to be locked, correct? How do I go about checking? If it is locked, do I need to unlock it to move to Fido from Rogers? I suspect the answer is yes. If so, what's the best/cheapest way to unlock it? I believe Rogers wants $50 to do it, which is painful to do for a phone that I am desperate to replace.

Thanks for any input.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #150
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I had a couple of questions about this since I recently spoke to Rogers about my month to month service and was told they could lower my bill by a max of 5 bucks a month but I had to give up a certain calling feature.

Has anyone here done this with Fido instead of Koodo? I have a valid Manitoba address where I spend >10% of the year, and Fido has basically the same thing as the Koodo plan in Manitoba. I figured it might be better to go the Fido route since I'm already familiar with Rogers' network and its limitations.

My second question is related to locked/unlocked phones. I have an iPhone 5 which I got with a Rogers contract in December of 2012. It's almost certain to be locked, correct? How do I go about checking? If it is locked, do I need to unlock it to move to Fido from Rogers? I suspect the answer is yes. If so, what's the best/cheapest way to unlock it? I believe Rogers wants $50 to do it, which is painful to do for a phone that I am desperate to replace.

Thanks for any input.
They are the same company, and most phones will work on rogers and fido.
And 5 off a month? man I would call back early in the mornings, I have 2 phones (family plan) I pay $150 a month, get unlim talk text, 12 gig of data, call id, VM25..etc. You just need to talk to the right person, and to do that you gotta call early.

In the call centres the best people have been there for years, and they are the ones who work 8-4pm shifts.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #151
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfslain View Post
Managed to get this to work here in January with OnePlus 2. Was on Bell for around 7 years, and tired of 1 GB data. Rejected at Chinook Centre at both Best Buy Mobile and the Koodo store [as expected]. However, just down the way on the top floor you'll see 'Wow! Mobile Boutique' who sell Koodo plans. I got lucky here, as the employee was fairly new and their co-worker was home sick. Although, they did try to convince me that Sasktel was the way to go, I insisted, and got the deal with no hassle. Used my parent's Saskatchewan address for the sake of ease, and everything worked with absolutely no problems. She even offered to port the number for me, but I had planned to do it at home. Port took around 35 minutes, and voilà!

I have to say: they're definitely catching on. In Best Buy mobile, the salesperson would not proceed without Saskatchewan ID "to keep people from getting Saskatchewan plans in Alberta", and at the Koodo store it was an instant rejection with: "the only place you can get a Saskatchewan number is in Saskatchewan". Your best bet for this method is still talking to the most obscure Koodo-affiliated kiosks possible. Good luck, everyone!
LOL a to be in Saskatchewan... haha oh man, and that is why they have some of the highest turn over rates for employees in the biz.

(fyi I was a manager in Telecom for 13 years *barf)
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #152
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You don't even need a SK or MB number. Just go to a Koodo boutique and get a regular AB number. Then you can change your number online to SK/MB, wait for cycle to end and change plan.

No need for asking for SK/MB number right away!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #153
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, anyone stressing about getting a SK/MB number or plan in a store is totally overcomplicating it. Just get an Alberta number and plan, then sort things out via self serve at home.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #154
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And you can do it all without incurring big delays? You can swap to an SK/MB number, change the plan, then immediately port a new number over top? Does it work with Fido pretty much the same as Rogers.

I understand the irony of this post, seeing as I'm complicating things.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #155
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Set up line,you change phone number to MB right away, then as of bill date less than a week later you can change plan and port in number. So the cost is less than a week of the cheapest plan available.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #156
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So, our corporate plans were updated today.

$51 per month.
15GB data, throttled after
Unlimited MTS to MTS calling
Unlimited local calling
Unlimited text
Call Display, call waiting, etc, etc
No long distance plan, but special rate
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #157
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where exactly this plan in available, but just switched to new Rogers plan (Quebec) that gives me 7Gb data, unlimited nationwide, etc plus Gamecenter and Spotify premium
for $62, less 10% for next 24 months. So 55.80/month, plus tax
Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #158
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Not sure where exactly this plan in available, but just switched to new Rogers plan (Quebec) that gives me 7Gb data, unlimited nationwide, etc plus Gamecenter and Spotify premium
for $62, less 10% for next 24 months. So 55.80/month, plus tax
What the hell? Is that a nationwide plan, or Quebec only?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #159
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
What the hell? Is that a nationwide plan, or Quebec only?
I'll try to check that. I had busted on my 6gb (for $75, less 10%) and called to see what I could do. The CSR offered this, screen shot from MyRogers attached. It might provide something to use if anyone tries to call and check this out outside of Quebec.
The 10% off for two years was when I dropped by Rogers authorized dealer when I got my 6P. Got the sim (and bought a case in exchange for 10% off for 2 years).
NSFW!

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 10-12-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #160
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'll try to check that. I had busted on my 6gb (for $75, less 10%) and called to see what I could do. The CSR offered this, screen shot from MyRogers attached. It might provide something to use if anyone tries to call and check this out outside of Quebec.
What a bunch of bull...this doesn't surprise me in the least, but the exact same plan in Alberta is literally double the price!

(left window has province set to AB, incognito window on the right set to QC...both set to BYOD/no "tab")

Spoiler!
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post: