Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Borderlands 2

With the release of Borderlands 2 this week. What does the CP community think of this game?

I really enjoy this game style and the game has improved in every area over the previous one. Even the difficulty has ramped up.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
With the release of Borderlands 2 this week. What does the CP community think of this game?

I really enjoy this game style and the game has improved in every area over the previous one. Even the difficulty has ramped up.
So far (2 hours in) I am enjoying it. Decided to roll a commando and he's pretty cool. I miss the shotgun specialization that Roland had last game but I'll probably be able to make it work. Really noticed the bolded. I played with 3 friends last night and we were getting downed repeatedly. Probably didn't help that I forgot to equip my shield.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

they really balanced the humor a lot better in this game than the first one, my buddy and i were laughing our asses off through our first few hours in the game. one thing i don't like is the new inventory screens, it's a lot more confusing and takes more clicks to compare and equip items. very consolized
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
they really balanced the humor a lot better in this game than the first one, my buddy and i were laughing our asses off through our first few hours in the game. one thing i don't like is the new inventory screens, it's a lot more confusing and takes more clicks to compare and equip items. very consolized
I too think the inventory screens are confusing.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is the multiplayer mode similar to Diablo 3? Do you join a game and are grouped with 3 other people with similar quests? And are your characters in singleplayers separate from multiplayer?
oh and im talking about the PC version
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperriffic View Post
Is the multiplayer mode similar to Diablo 3? Do you join a game and are grouped with 3 other people with similar quests? And are your characters in singleplayers separate from multiplayer?
oh and im talking about the PC version
characters are the same in single or multiplayer, you have a friends list just like D3 and by default friends can join your game just by clicking on your name. and the story/quests are all based off the host's progress like D3. i'm not sure how the public matchmaking works as i've never used it (and probably never will)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone getting the DLC season pass? Looks like you'll save $10 doing so. Is it worth doing it?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Is anyone getting the DLC season pass? Looks like you'll save $10 doing so. Is it worth doing it?
Nope. I am betting Steam will offer the DLC at much better price during one of their sales.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Nope. I am betting Steam will offer the DLC at much better price during one of their sales.

Yes, but there's no way I'll be able to wait until its on sale. Picked it up.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll pick up the season pass soon, I've only put 6 hours into the game but I can already tell I will end up playing as every class eventually. Guild wars 2 has taken a back seat to borderlands 2 for me.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I asked this in the video game thread, is there full value and enjoyment if you only play single player?
As an adult gamer with not much time, I like to be a bit picky. But with the weather cooling down, I am looking for a game to get me to Assassins Creed III. I generally like most top quality games.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
While I asked this in the video game thread, is there full value and enjoyment if you only play single player?
As an adult gamer with not much time, I like to be a bit picky. But with the weather cooling down, I am looking for a game to get me to Assassins Creed III. I generally like most top quality games.
your question was also answered in the video game thread. BL2 is co-op multiplayer only, so the game plays the same whether you play alone or with friends. same sort of setup as Diablo 3
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if you guys saw this a while back - but it looks like they kept their promise. The audio track is worth a listen; Gearbox is pretty classy.

http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-t...2-215160.phtml

This morning, we received an email from a Destructoid fan named Carlo who shared a story about his late friend Michael John Mamaril. Last month, Michael passed away due to cancer at the young age of 22. Both were huge Borderlands fans, so Carlo thought a great way to honor his buddy's memory would be to shoot Gearbox Software an email asking for a short eulogy to be read by the game's smart-mouthed robot mascot Claptrap. Not only did Gearbox comply with the request, it also promised to insert Michael into the upcoming Borderlands 2 as an NPC.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

well after spending a bit of time on the game (lvl 16 siren) i have to say it's awesome. weapons are far better balanced with many more fun guns than the first game (assault rifles are actually useful now), the writing and dialogue is far sharper, it's far more challenging, and it's one of the funniest games i've ever played. the only thing i don't like (besides the consolized menus) is that they removed the weapon experience points. they gave you an incentive to specialize in 2 or 3 types of guns, and provided a little more differentiation between classes. don't know why they got rid of that
Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They have a gun that when you reload you actually throw it like a grenade and it explodes and a new fully loaded gun appears in your hand. Awesome.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm not mistaken, all Tediores do that.

Just very fun and creative stuff.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
They have a gun that when you reload you actually throw it like a grenade and it explodes and a new fully loaded gun appears in your hand. Awesome.
if you reload a rocket launcher with that stat, it turns into a missile
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
well after spending a bit of time on the game (lvl 16 siren) i have to say it's awesome. weapons are far better balanced with many more fun guns than the first game (assault rifles are actually useful now), the writing and dialogue is far sharper, it's far more challenging, and it's one of the funniest games i've ever played.
Huh. My group in Borderlands 1 heavily used them (with a support machine gun to use that ammo if he needed less reloads). We never really noticed a "useless" feel.

I kind of feel SMGs are a bit weak in Borderlands 2. Then again, when your last SMG was the Incendiary Hellfire and you were Siren...
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having never played the first game, is this a Mass Effect type shooter-RPG, or more of a shooter first with RPG elements?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Huh. My group in Borderlands 1 heavily used them (with a support machine gun to use that ammo if he needed less reloads). We never really noticed a "useless" feel.

I kind of feel SMGs are a bit weak in Borderlands 2. Then again, when your last SMG was the Incendiary Hellfire and you were Siren...
ya that's what i thought, until i found my first purple incendiary SMG. it's like the Hellfire days all over again. i've also got a blue class mod for my Siren that gives 64% SMG damage, and a bonus to my Accelerate skill. copious amounts of ass is getting kicked now