Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #561
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm trying to figure out where we would need to locate an A/C to meet bylaw requirements. I keep seeing and hearing different requirements. We have a half duplex and the question is do we install it on the side of the house or at the rear?

We have ample space to install at the side but we only have that one side as entry to the back yard (plus the alley). The city only says "A/C units may only project 1.0m into the side setback" and says nothing about how much space is required to the property line. I've seen everything from 0.2m (we would be able to meet this) to 1.2m (we cannot meet this) for space from the A/C to the property line, so it's very confusing. Looks like I can utilize the bulkhead to access the backyard but it would be a bit more of an involved install versus the side of the house.
I have the same situation as you, a half duplex where it would be easier to install on the side versus the back. Installing the back would also take up a big chunk of my fairly small yard. My impression was that you need a 1.2m setback in most areas of the city and your AC unit could go 1m into that 1.2m setback leaving at least 0.2m to the property line.

I just checked with one of my colleagues (land surveyor) who works in the municipal side of the business (I'm in the oil and gas area), he said you might get away with applying for the building permit but he's seen cases where his clients have been in trouble when they apply for compliance from the city for a Real Property Report, typically done when the house is sold. He said it wasn't a relaxation either, they physically had to move the unit to the back of the house. Even the low profile/compact units could be a problem on the side. We're going to look at putting one of the compact units on the back, they seem to be a little more expensive, but quieter and smaller.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #562
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Iggy_12;7901136]Got my quote early june and booked the install earliest time was July 17, Gonna die next week[/QUOTE]

Can I have your AC unit?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #563
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
I have the same situation as you, a half duplex where it would be easier to install on the side versus the back. Installing the back would also take up a big chunk of my fairly small yard. My impression was that you need a 1.2m setback in most areas of the city and your AC unit could go 1m into that 1.2m setback leaving at least 0.2m to the property line.

I just checked with one of my colleagues (land surveyor) who works in the municipal side of the business (I'm in the oil and gas area), he said you might get away with applying for the building permit but he's seen cases where his clients have been in trouble when they apply for compliance from the city for a Real Property Report, typically done when the house is sold. He said it wasn't a relaxation either, they physically had to move the unit to the back of the house. Even the low profile/compact units could be a problem on the side. We're going to look at putting one of the compact units on the back, they seem to be a little more expensive, but quieter and smaller.
Yeah, I'm also leaning towards install in the rear. Our backyard isn't tiny, so space isn't a concern. I just want to make sure it's done properly without breaching bylaw forcing us to move it at some point in the future.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #564
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out where we would need to locate an A/C to meet bylaw requirements. I keep seeing and hearing different requirements. We have a half duplex and the question is do we install it on the side of the house or at the rear?

We have ample space to install at the side but we only have that one side as entry to the back yard (plus the alley). The city only says "A/C units may only project 1.0m into the side setback" and says nothing about how much space is required to the property line. I've seen everything from 0.2m (we would be able to meet this) to 1.2m (we cannot meet this) for space from the A/C to the property line, so it's very confusing. Looks like I can utilize the bulkhead to access the backyard but it would be a bit more of an involved install versus the side of the house.
I was told by city permits that you have to have one side of your house free and clear of any obstructions. The reason is to have fire department access to the back of your house and it needs to be four feet i think they said.

When you go to sell your house you will have issues passing the rpr report if you don’t have full access on one side of the house and will have to apply for a relaxation which might not get approved before the sale of your house is finalized.

May be worth calling city permits to confirm nothing has changed in the last five years.

Having said that, the ac company will put the ac wherever you want. I don’t think i’d want the ac next to my deck and would go talk to them at permits.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #565
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I was down there while the a/c was firing away and there is a breeze of air escaping the furnace from these 2 locations.

Along the metal channel (which is poorly sealed with some sort of caulking) specifically at the corner there is tons of sweet, sweet chilly air is just blowing out. And then behind the humidifier there is a sliver of opening where even more air is escaping.

I have no idea if my install was poor from the home builder or if the a/c installation messed with any of this but can I just seal those areas up with that duct tape and help push more cold air through the ductwork. Or is there a better more suitable solution?
Now I'm upset I identified the same problem on mine...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #566
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Residential ducts are rarely sealed very well. If you want to be charitable, I guess you could say that as long as the ducts are within the conditioned space, it's not really a big deal because the hot/cold air is still within the house. But then, even where they run ducts in unconditioned space (attics or vented crawlspaces), they still rarely do a good job sealing them.

If you do want to seal the gaps, it's super easy. Just get some foil tape and cover any gaps you have access to. Or if you have a bunch of awkward shapes that'll be hard to tape, you can also use duct mastic. It's basically a gooey peanut butter consistency material that you just spread over the gaps. It works great, but it is a bit messy and probably harder to find than foil tape, so tape is simpler.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #567
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I was told by city permits that you have to have one side of your house free and clear of any obstructions. The reason is to have fire department access to the back of your house and it needs to be four feet i think they said.
This can't be true. I live in one of those new infill duplex style houses, the other half is owned by a firefighter who works out of #1. We both have AC units.

I'll ask him and report back.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #568
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pretty sure it's the basement window that's the issue. If you have a window on that side of the house you technically can't put an AC unit there, fire code I think.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #569
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Residential ducts are rarely sealed very well. If you want to be charitable, I guess you could say that as long as the ducts are within the conditioned space, it's not really a big deal because the hot/cold air is still within the house. But then, even where they run ducts in unconditioned space (attics or vented crawlspaces), they still rarely do a good job sealing them.

If you do want to seal the gaps, it's super easy. Just get some foil tape and cover any gaps you have access to. Or if you have a bunch of awkward shapes that'll be hard to tape, you can also use duct mastic. It's basically a gooey peanut butter consistency material that you just spread over the gaps. It works great, but it is a bit messy and probably harder to find than foil tape, so tape is simpler.
So I happened to have some of that foil tape I was using for something else.... did all the joints I had access to.
Seems my biggest leak now is around the humidifier. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #570
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How normal is it for the AC to be running non stop for hours during the peak of the afternoon/evening?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #571
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ours will continue to run until it hits the thermostat setting of 22. On really hot days, that can sometimes be midnight or later until the house is cooled off.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #572
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

From the land use bylaw:

Quote:
Central air conditioning equipment may project a maximum of 1.0 metres into a side setback area.
You most likely have a 1.2m setback for a typical duplex.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #573
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know if ~$5K is reasonable for installation of a 4ton 16 SEER unit? Waiting for another company to do an estimate but it’s been delayed, so I could potentially have the first company install before I get the 2nd company out to estimate.
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #574
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Anyone know if ~$5K is reasonable for installation of a 4ton 16 SEER unit? Waiting for another company to do an estimate but it’s been delayed, so I could potentially have the first company install before I get the 2nd company out to estimate.
It’s decent. The industry is seeing large delays on equipment delivery as well as huge price increases.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #575
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
It’s decent. The industry is seeing large delays on equipment delivery as well as huge price increases.

They’re recommending Napoleon and Goodman since they’re “Canadian” and units / parts are more readily available. The reviews seem good, and they all have 10yr warranty
Old 06-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #576
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They’re recommending Napoleon and Goodman since they’re “Canadian” and units / parts are more readily available. The reviews seem good, and they all have 10yr warranty
Hopefully the Goodman brand rebounded since this last winter. It was very difficult to get furnaces from them.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #577
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Hopefully the Goodman brand rebounded since this last winter. It was very difficult to get furnaces from them.

We’re leaning towards the Napoleon. About $500 more but sounds like more of a mid level unit with some better tech, where as Goodman is more of an “entry” level.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #578
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
From my family member in the industry: Needs to be flushed. Could be a dirty coil.

Can you elaborate? What needs to be flushed? The coil is outside or within the furnace?
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #579
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Review what "10 year warranty" means
Some companies require you to annually service WITH THEM to honour that.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #580
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Review what "10 year warranty" means
Some companies require you to annually service WITH THEM to honour that.

Yeah, they mentioned that in their quote. They do our regular furnace cleaning and inspection, so not a big deal if they do the a/c at the same time. One less call to make each year.