Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #481
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Main floor/basement rarely kicks in as cold air flows down from upstairs, so we kind of regret putting two units in.
If I could do it again, this is what I would do.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #482
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Are you guys worried about AC kicking on overnight when it's chillier outside?

We have it top floor only so we don't run it until the afternoon...

Our lower levels furnace doesn't seem to be wired for a 'fan only' function right now (only 2 wires to our nest...). Any easy fix?
Never had an issue. And I run mine colder than most people.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #483
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
We're at 21c during the day, and 18c at night. Go big or go home.
Given your username and my issues with insomnia, something is clearly working with your system.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #484
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
24.5 seems so weird to me. Why even bother with ac? Would you keep your furnace at 24.5 in the winter? No, because that would miserably uncomfortable. Room temperature is 20-22. 24.5 is uncomfortably warm.
Setting the AC to 24 and wearing shorts and a t-shirt is quite comfortable. Seems like the perfect temperature for all the people who say Calgary never gets warm enough to be enjoyable.

No one sets their furnace to 24.5 in the winter because they're wearing clothes appropriate for the winter, so it's unnecessary.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #485
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Setting the AC to 24 and wearing shorts and a t-shirt is quite comfortable. Seems like the perfect temperature for all the people who say Calgary never gets warm enough to be enjoyable.

No one sets their furnace to 24.5 in the winter because they're wearing clothes appropriate for the winter, so it's unnecessary.
I'm not sure our house has even reached 24.5 naturally nevermind set the AC for that???

I set ours to 20 and leave it. Barely notice a change in the power bill from month to month.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #486
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm not sure our house has even reached 24.5 naturally nevermind set the AC for that???

I set ours to 20 and leave it. Barely notice a change in the power bill from month to month.
You must have a great house! My place faces East and it'll hit 25 to 26 in the house by noon on warm days like yesterday.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #487
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What part of the city are you in? And I would guess you have a bungalow with mature tree coverage?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #488
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

my main floor thermostat is reading 28 degrees right now. 2 story house so upstairs is like a convection oven. Just ran out and bought a portable AC unit for bedroom but getting quotes from Reliance, Canyon and Steelhead.

Anyone have the Goodman GSX 16? 2157sq feet 2 story. likely need 3.5ton AC unit.

Price on install for anyone with this unit?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #489
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What part of the city are you in? And I would guess you have a bungalow with mature tree coverage?
2 story in Cranston, 15 years old, no big trees, face North. Our upstairs "bonus" room was always a sauna before we got AC though.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #490
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only have AC for the upstairs and we set it to 19 on these hot days so it cools down most of the house and also keeps bedrooms cool at night.

The last home I lived in only had a single furnace and it worked great on the main floor but it was still super hot upstairs which was really annoying.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #491
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I only have AC for the upstairs and we set it to 19 on these hot days so it cools down most of the house and also keeps bedrooms cool at night.

The last home I lived in only had a single furnace and it worked great on the main floor but it was still super hot upstairs which was really annoying.
Broken record time for me, but at your last house did you close all the vents on the main floor to direct the cold air upstairs? That's mandatory with AC since cold air flows down and hot air goes up. You need to cool from the top down.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #492
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Broken record time for me, but at your last house did you close all the vents on the main floor to direct the cold air upstairs? That's mandatory with AC since cold air flows down and hot air goes up. You need to cool from the top down.
According to Google, experts dont recommend closing vents. Bad for the system.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #493
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got mine installed a couple months ago. Total game changer. I don't know how I managed before, the relief when you go in the house is unreal. We're still trying to figure out how to best redirect the air flow to our to floor. We have the vents in the basement sealed and a few on our main floor too. We've sealed the vents upstairs in rooms we don't use and keep those doors closed. Still night and day difference though. I absolutely love it!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #494
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish they'd build diverters or some system to "force" air up to the second floor. Closing the vents doesn't really do it. Closing off the actual ductwork would be much more effective, but there is probably some reason they can't or don't do it that isn't immediately apparent to a layperson.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #495
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this, but recently shut almost all of our main floor vents and the temperature delta from up to down went from 3C to 1C. I don't need a blanket and slippers to watch TV on the main floor anymore. Sorry furnace, but this is happening.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #496
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
My house would be a hodge podge of uncomfortable temperatures everywhere I went if I didn't do that. Last house was three stories and current house is just a bungalow, but by messing around with opening and closing vents I'm in perfect even-temperature comfort everywhere I go.

I'm sure if your goal is to have your hvac system last 30 years then having free-flowing air is healthier for it. My goal is to be comfortable and if I cut a few years off the life of my furnace fan I don't really care.

Not saying you're wrong at all with pointing out you've read it could create extra wear and tear. I appreciate knowing that.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #497
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My house would be a hodge podge of uncomfortable temperatures everywhere I went if I didn't do that. Last house was three stories and current house is just a bungalow, but by messing around with opening and closing vents I'm in perfect even-temperature comfort everywhere I go.

I'm sure if your goal is to have your hvac system last 30 years then having free-flowing air is healthier for it. My goal is to be comfortable and if I cut a few years off the life of my furnace fan I don't really care.

Not saying you're wrong at all with pointing out you've read it could create extra wear and tear. I appreciate knowing that.
Screw it, you convinced me. I'm closing vents now too!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #498
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How efficient are everyone's AC? Did they run all day? Or come on and off lime your furnace.

Ours was pumping all day. We have the ecobee sensors for upstairs. The main floor is Antarctica, but the top floor is Africa. I've come to accept it. It's just our house and an average HVAC system.

I did get a couple of those vent deflector things to redirect the air to the middle of the room rather than lose it at the windows. We'll see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #499
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
How efficient are everyone's AC? Did they run all day? Or come on and off lime your furnace.

Ours was pumping all day. We have the ecobee sensors for upstairs. The main floor is Antarctica, but the top floor is Africa. I've come to accept it. It's just our house and an average HVAC system.

I did get a couple of those vent deflector things to redirect the air to the middle of the room rather than lose it at the windows. We'll see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Dude, try closing all your main floor vents so it all rockets upstairs. It'll fix you right up.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #500
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I really wish they'd build diverters or some system to "force" air up to the second floor. Closing the vents doesn't really do it. Closing off the actual ductwork would be much more effective, but there is probably some reason they can't or don't do it that isn't immediately apparent to a layperson.
They do. Every home should have manual dampers on venting that will allow you go do this somewhat effectively. Best is zoning it. Very effective, but not cheap. Essentially adds second thermostat that controls a damper between 'zones' of the house. When your upper thermostat calls for cool while main floor doesn't it closes airflow to main floor directing it all to upper.
I'm guessing this will run about 5k though...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote