Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Division of our society

"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (Polio, Smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, measles, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had
never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rooster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a dumb post. Coming from someone who is truly not informed on how vaccines work.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’ll play …

Who do you think we were deceived by? And for what purpose?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is your objection(s) to taking the vaccine?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Out of all the posts I have known in my life, I have never seen one so clearly display one's total ignorance as to how vaccines actually work."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:37 AM   #8
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (Polio, Smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, measles, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had
never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated. I never saw discrimination for those who didn't. If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person. I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends. I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine! If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
I am guessing you didn't actually see most of those vaccines when they first were developed

Also, some of the vaccines (Like Chickpox) literally are only X% effective (ChickenPox is ~90%)

But ignoring all that - The main reason for the division IMO is people have access to all of the worlds 'information' via the internet right now, but no idea how to actually differentiate between facts and opinions and mostly use the internet to reaffirm their confirmation bias.

When the Polio vaccine came out people saw how bad Polio was and were told this will save your life.... And in a crazy twist..... took it. They trusted the medical professionals, trusted their parents, trusted the government (And I am not saying that isnt without risk, but you are asking WHY)

There were guaranteed to be Anti-Polo folks but their platform could reach about as far as their own dinner table and maybe an unlucky person who had to be within ears reach.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #9
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
"among all the vaccines i have known in my life (polio, smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, measles, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), i want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated. I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination. I had
school. I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent. After all the vaccines i listed above, i have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… it's a powerful vaccine! If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “it's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
LOL

You truly think the vaccine is to blame? Other societal factors have no contribution to the division? Is that your level of critical thought?

My early vote for funniest post of 2022.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

ReI mean, there was a thing back in the 50s where John Burcher types were utterly convinced that the polio vaccine was a communist plot to control the children of America, as alluded to in this delightful cartoon from 1953

Of course, this wasn't even the first time this occurred. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the controversies that surrounded smallpox vaccines in the 1800s, it was quite a wedge issue at times both in NA and in Europe. I tell you, the outcry over the mandatory vaccination law passed in the UK In 1853 really upset a lot of people. As did mandatory masking, quarantines and shuttering of public spaces during the Spanish Flu epidemics following the first world war.

The rest of this post proves you know about as much about how vaccines work as you do about their history and the history of pandemics and epidemics in western democracies in the last couple hundred years. Now would be a good time to sit down.

Last edited by Bs&Cs; 02-06-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Bs&Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bs&Cs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:43 AM   #11
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no "division" in our society when it comes to the COVID-19 vaccine. Almost 90% of us are vaccinated. A 90-10 split on any issue is about as close to universal approval as you will ever see. The problem is the small, small minority who make up the 10% think they represent a much larger segment of the population than they actually do.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #12
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don’t know too much about vaccines. But take it from the CDC to regards of their flu vaccine Q&A:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misc...#effectiveness

Quote:
Flu vaccination has been shown in several studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick:

A 2021 study showed that among adults, flu vaccination was associated with a 26% lower risk of ICU admission and a 31% lower risk of death from flu compared to those who were unvaccinated.

A 2018 study showed that among adults hospitalized with flu, vaccinated patients were 59 percent less likely to be admitted to the ICU than those who had not been vaccinated. Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated.
Quote:
Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization:

Flu vaccination prevents tens of thousands of hospitalizations each year. For example, during 2019-2020 flu vaccination prevented an estimated 105,000 flu-related hospitalizations.

A 2014 study showed that flu vaccination reduced children’s risk of flu-related pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) admission by 74 percent during flu seasons from 2010-2012.

A 2017 study found that during 2009-2016, flu vaccines reduced the risk of flu-associated hospitalization among older adults by about 40 percent on average.

A 2018 study showed that from 2012 to 2015, flu vaccination among adults reduced the risk of being admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) with flu by 82 percent.
Quote:
Flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick with flu:

Flu vaccination prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year. For example, during 2019-2020 flu vaccination prevented an estimated 7.5 million influenza illnesses, 3.7 million influenza-associated medical visits, 105,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations, and 6,300 influenza-associated deaths.

During seasons when flu vaccine viruses are similar to circulating flu viruses, flu vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of having to go to the doctor with flu by 40 percent to 60 percent.
Sure sounds like the mRNA COVID vaccines! So what’s the issue with these vaccines?
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 02-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Division" is overblown. Most of us are perfectly happy to just live our lives, so what if a loud minority want to shout each other down and argue all the time.

In the information age that we live in you get to make the choice of what type of content you consume. Yeah you can binge news sites, social media, and forums and argue with people all day and just be a miserable person. Or you can focus that time and energy online with hobby and entertainment sites instead. Or do something completely different. That's a choice you can make, this 'division' is what you as an individual make of it. Personally, I choose not to take part. It's that simple
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Interesting OP and I wonder where it was copied and pasted from.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #16
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell, why not...

Quote:
"Among all the vaccines I have known in my life (Polio, Smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, measles, rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis, meningitis and tuberculosis), I want to also add flu and pneumonia. I have never seen a vaccine that forced me to wear a mask and maintain my social distance, even when you are fully vaccinated.
The vaccine doesn't make you do anything. Can't "force you" to do anything. An intelligent person realizes that it's a layer of defense, and that masking and social distancing are more layers of defense. More layers of defense = better. But no defense is impenetrable.

Quote:
I had never heard of a vaccine that spreads the virus even after vaccination.
The vaccine doesn't spread the virus even after vaccination. A PERSON who is vaccinated is capable of spreading the virus, but is much less likely to, generally speaking. Just like every other vaccine out there. A vaccine is not a silver bullet of immunity against a virus, it is a strong layer of protection.

Quote:
I had never heard of rewards, discounts, incentives to get vaccinated.
I believe the proper phrase here is "do your own research". Regardless of whichever societal benefit we are talking about, there is always a segment of the population who digs their heels in and has a tantrum and must be bribed in some way to do the right thing.

Quote:
I never saw discrimination for those who didn't.
For someone claiming to know a lot of history, you are demonstrating that you don't know much history at all.

Quote:
If you haven't been vaccinated no one has tried to make you feel like a bad person.
Do you have any clue about human nature? Humans do this all the time to each other for a massive plethora of reasons. This time around, most of us who are doing the right thing are tired of putting up with your whiny s*** holding the rest of us back.

Quote:
I have never seen a vaccine that threatens the relationship between family, colleagues and friends.
Have you honestly never heard of divisive topics before? Or do you think the world sprang into being yesterday?

Quote:
I have never seen a vaccine used to threaten livelihoods, work or
school.
If you don't want to be a responsible member of society, you don't get to enjoy the privileges of said society. This is nothing new.

Quote:
I have never seen a vaccine that would allow a 12-year-old to override parental consent.
If your 12yo is capable of seeing the benefits of this, but the parent isn't...that is far more telling than you know, but not quite in the way you are thinking.

Quote:
After all the vaccines I listed above, I have never seen a vaccine like this one, which discriminates, divides and judges society as it is. And as the social fabric tightens… It's a powerful vaccine!
No, it's just a vaccine, like every other one before it.

Quote:
If we still need a booster dose after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to get a negative test after we are fully vaccinated, and we still need to wear a mask after we are fully vaccinated, and still be hospitalized after we have been fully vaccinated, it will likely come to “It's time for us to admit that we've been completely deceived."
No, it'd just indicate that this vaccine, like the others before it, work like vaccines do. Protect against a certain specific thing. Do you think that SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV-2-Omicon are the exact same thing? And that protection from one means you are protected from the other? If that's the case, would you mind trading me your iPhone13 for this spiffy Mobira Cityman 900? They are the same thing after all, right?

IIRC, all the vaccines you list come with suggested boosters. Heck, the tetanus shot recommends a booster every 10 years. Because protections wear off and wear down. You want to stop worrying about covid and "get back to life"...then help stop this new virus, get vaccinated, take some basic hygiene/precautionary measures, and in 2-5 (more) years, covid will be an annoying memory that we get occasionally boosters for, much like all the other diseases you have mentioned, that did some serious damage to people until we evolved and adapted with an occasional helping hand (a booster)

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-06-2022 at 10:01 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #17
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shouldn’t you be in Ottawa or Coutts getting your bitch ass arrested?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #18
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks rooster, I can never remember who the nutters are on this site. Handy thread.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #19
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
And whose sock puppet they are
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I don't Facebook so can't follow the actual link here:

https://m.facebook.com/dan.bongino/p...24711892347209

But the Google cache shows me this,

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt=firefox-b-d

And that exact quote is there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: