Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #481
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL don't you call out people for wearing tinfoil hats?
The NFL confirmed that Kraft was/is? paying Brady's organization, they just said it didn't constitute a cap circumvention.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #482
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The NFL confirmed that Kraft was/is? paying Brady's organization, they just said it didn't constitute a cap circumvention.
Oh yeah I know that but with all the teams out to get the Patriots I have to imagine it was legit or there would have been hell to pay. I don't doubt at all that Kraft was paying him under the table but in an untraceable manner. Paying his organization is just too blatant.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #483
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol read the article before jumping off a bridge as the money is only a very small part. When he was on his rookie deal the Hawks were top 10 in spending on the OL. After he got paid they dropped to bottom 10 in OL spending. Lots of blame to go around but now I know why Hawks fans have soured on him.
As mentioned a month ago on or around post 150, he does think he can run the offense better. Since they it's reported he wants to be consulted on personel. His ego thinks he can do it all. I don't doubt that he is a smart guy and well prepared and probably could, but that's not how team sports and pro sports structure works in the NFL.

I haven't read today's athletic article but I'm.surenits pretty close to what I've been saying. He thinks he can run the team. Carroll relented this year and caved into giving him more control to start, and while he started out hot it fizzled halfway through the year and then Schottenhemier and Caroll had to pull it back to their control which he didn't like and met with resistance.

And not just Oline spending. As with most of these things as soon as a guy gets $25M or more it takes away money from a variety of positions. Seattle for all their ok success since the SB loss hasn't got to the conference championship, which was since the first year Wilson's big deal kicked in.

So, all this has happened a year earlier then I predicted, so not even picking some Patsy as OC will placate Wilson now.

And, he's never been wildly popular among teammates because he is so driven and somewhat antisocial.

Raiders because of Gruden. Watch him on the Gruden TV show soon after he was drafted, I am surprised they didn't make out they loved each other so much.
Dallas because it's Dallas.
NO because of Payton.
Bears...not sure there, probably because it's a challenge.

Hard to see him with Seattle next year, and if so would be the last. But, I trust PC and JS to figure it out on the.personnel side.

Last edited by browna; 02-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #484
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL don't you call out people for tinfoil hat takes?
How is this tinfoil hat? It's been well-reported. It might not technically constitute circumventing the cap, but I imagine it helped encourage Brady to keep his salary demands down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...spect-partner/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #485
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Browna, why do you say NO because of Payton? Just curious
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #486
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think N.O. because of Brees, who he idolized growing up. If it isn't astronomical, I'm all for it
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #487
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Browna, why do you say NO because of Payton? Just curious
Just an offensive minded coach that he respects more than most, is my guess and in how that organization treated Brees to allow him to play this long.

Wilson has said he wants to play until 45 as well in the past.. Unless there is some wife connection there too but no idea.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bears is a head scratcher to me. The defense is good but the organization has been a graveyard for QB's. I also don't see the Raiders fit as according to the article he's driven to be one of the all-time statistical best QB's and Gruden's offense is pretty run first conservative and I think if the Raiders ever fielded a good defense his numbers would even decrease as Gruden is ultra conservative with a lead and would run the ball on 1st and 2nd down nearly exclusively. Also the Raiders best receiver is a TE and Wilson's doesn't utilize TE's as much as other QB's. Saints would be a no-brainer and the Cowboys would put him front and center in the league and they have a lot of tools on offense.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #489
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Too lazy to link, schefter says Wilson hasn’t requested a trade but “if you’re gonna trade me” he would like Dallas, Saints, Raiders, Bears.

That is an odd mix of teams.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #490
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Bears is a head scratcher to me. The defense is good but the organization has been a graveyard for QB's. I also don't see the Raiders fit as according to the article he's driven to be one of the all-time statistical best QB's and Gruden's offense is pretty run first conservative and I think if the Raiders ever fielded a good defense his numbers would even decrease as Gruden is ultra conservative with a lead and would run the ball on 1st and 2nd down nearly exclusively. Also the Raiders best receiver is a TE and Wilson's doesn't utilize TE's as much as other QB's. Saints would be a no-brainer and the Cowboys would put him front and center in the league and they have a lot of tools on offense.
He has the defense and the offense has weapons in Chicago, the coaching is the biggest question marks.

Honestly I cant picture a way that Chicago could possibly afford him. I'm sure it would be a 1st, another 1st, a mid round pick, and some salary going back, like Foles.

Either way, bring a ring to one of the NFLs oldest and largest markets and you'll be remembered forever... isn't that what this comes down to? His own legacy?

https://twitter.com/user/status/https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1365009592120451073

Last edited by DropIt; 02-27-2021 at 08:20 AM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #491
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366444958010413057
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #492
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woooh!!!

Go Cards!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #493
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna take the under on fewer games played (23) than millions guaranteed. Great player but that is a lot of guaranteed for a guy on the backside of his career who has missed 50% of his games the last five years.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #494
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm gonna take the under on fewer games played (23) than millions guaranteed. Great player but that is a lot of guaranteed for a guy on the backside of his career who has missed 50% of his games the last five years.
Meh, it’s only for 2 years. We now have Chandler and JJ up front.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #495
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean mostly good for JJ Watt, $23 million guaranteed when he's likely to miss 30-70% of those games is amazingly well done. Obviously wanting to be on a contender was a lie, it's always about the money, and he did much better than expected. Plus he can still gravy train a ring in two years for the league minimum. And he escaped Jesusland. Great job by Watt here.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #496
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s played 16 games 2 of last 3 years so I’ll take the over on playing 50% of their games. Only 5 sacks this year though.

There are very few guaranteed contenders outside of KC, so maybe Arizona surprises.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #497
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Cardinals probably have the cap space to fit him so it's not a bad signing providing they get better production than 5 sacks from him next season. He's a bit of a boom/bust player at this stage of his career.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #498
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cards had 11 mil in cap space, now theyre 5 over. Basically replacing a 26 year old hassan Reddick who PFF had as the best edge rusher in the entire NFL from week 10-17 last season for a 32 year old JJ Watt. Reddick is a UFA i doubt he makes 15 mil. Head scratcher by Arizona. I would have used that money on a lock down corner personally.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #499
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1366444807258845184
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #500
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

love it. Feared he'd sign with the Browns or another team I can't stand, but this is fun. Completely out of left field too. Easy team to root for now, with J.J., Nuke and others.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote