Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Reactionary Roster Management

A look at Treliving's off season and how things have changed in look from game 82 to playoff game 5.

Reactionaly Roster Management

How deep would you gut?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope adding Zucker or someone like him and some bottom 6 muscle can be accomplished by trading Brodie, Janko, etc rather than losing a 1st rounder.

I want this team to keep drafting as many Valimaki's and Dube's to step in.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Neal supposed to be a "Veteran Pissy Player"???

Tre better stay FAR FAR away from older "tough" players. He fails every single time when he lands one
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I agree with the idea that this team played differently in front of Smith and not for the better. He turned his game up, but he had too because of how the team played in front of him. A weird vicious circle I guess.

This team talks about needing to attack with speed. They stop skating when Smith plays the puck.

My point, I'd rather not see Smith back even as a backup. Time to move on.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

That’s a solid read. Thanks, Bingo.

As poorly as Hanifin played in the playoffs I would be shocked to see him moved. He has been in the League for so long that it is easy to forget that he is younger than Rasmus Andersson, but moreover, this was also his first taste of the Stanley Cup playoffs. He took a step this year, and I would bet that he continues to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I agree with the idea that this team played differently in front of Smith and not for the better. He turned his game up, but he had too because of how the team played in front of him. A weird vicious circle I guess.

This team talks about needing to attack with speed. They stop skating when Smith plays the puck.

My point, I'd rather not see Smith back even as a backup. Time to move on.
I am starting to think this is true, but I might still be okay with Smith back on a one-year deal as a backup. I don’t see that there are obviously better options at this point, but we shall see.

I for one was relieved to hear that Rittich was dealing with a nagging injury since NYE. Prior to that game he appeared to be an emerging starting goalie, and I feel more hopeful that he will make that transition next year with how this likely affected his performance in the second half. Rittich played more this year than he had at any point in his career, so it is unsurprising that it took a physical toll, but one that he likely can adjust to with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the great season, you can't just stand pat. You need a shakeup to get the winning formula just right. Tampa or Florida might be a great dance partners. Both teams had disappointed meeting expectations and they might feel like they need to move a big name or two to shake things up.

Of course, we would need to move a big name or two in exchange, but the change in scenery for the players might benefit all parties.

I'd be really, really scared to trade away centers but I'd look to trade Johnny + for Barkov and have Barkov and Monahan as the 1-2 center punch. Deploying Backs as a shutdown 3C and Ryan holding steady at 4C would be great.

It's almost sacrilege to mention, but we could sell high on Gio right now and bet big that Vali and Razzmatazz are ready to man the top pair duties. Gio could fetch a franchise G and some winger depth. Sometimes you have to remove the emotional attachment to guys.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You aren't getting barkov for anything. He's their captain and probably a top 5/10 center. They would never accept gaudreau for him imo. Even if that + was valimaki
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That’s a solid read. Thanks, Bingo.

As poorly as Hanifin played in the playoffs I would be shocked to see him moved. He has been in the League for so long that it is easy to forget that he is younger than Rasmus Andersson, but moreover, this was also his first taste of the Stanley Cup playoffs. He took a step this year, and I would bet that he continues to get better.
I'm good with where Hanifin is in his game and happy to keep him, but with Giordano a mainstay for three years and Valimaki coming hard it is a bit of a log jam for top four spots.

Is Valimaki ready to move up and play with Hamonic? If so it might be better for the cap and roster balance to move Hanifin now, rather than have one of he or Valimaki get considerably less ice.

That can be alleviated somewhat by having one guy on the PK and one on the PP as well though.

The other advantage of moving Hanifin is the ability to promote and use Kylington more effectively. If they see him as a 4-5 guy they probably don't want to lose him or have him sitting most nights.

I think the right side is handled by keeping Stone for a year, but they could upgrade that 6 spot as well.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think Kadri is the perfect target to upgrade your 6/7F guy.

Has skill, plays in the tough areas and obviously plays with some serious snarl. Yes one would have to hope he has finally learned where the line is, but worth the risk easily IMO. When you factor in his contract, he is a very appealing possibility.

Toronto is one team that HAS to make some deals and as such will have some vulnerability. If Treliving has laid some ground work with Dumbas already, he has the pieces to acquire him.

Goaltending though? BT cant bring back Smith can he? Just way too much risk there imo...though i fully expect a veteran of some sort to be here come September, but just cant see it being Mike Smith.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Great article!

The only thing I don't agree with is moving on from Hanifin given his contract's cost certainty. There could always be someone that comes along and blows you away with an offer, so I wouldn't say he's untouchable, but he's far down the list of roster changes I would be looking to make. I would much rather see if either he or Valimaki can play on the right side if Valimaki is ready for more minutes. I think Hanifin could play Brodie's role on the right with Gio (as he is also a great skater) while Valimaki moves up to play with Hamonic, leaving Andersson & Kylington as an offensive minded third pairing. Stone or if someone is interested for a mid-pick/B-prospect for him, perhaps a cheaper guy like Fantenberg would be the 7th.

Besides Zucker, what other snarly top 6 forwards would you guys hope the Flames are kicking tires on? Personally, I would like them to try to pry Mantha out of Detroit though I doubt they would move him as Detroit is typically patient with their player development. I just see him as primed for a Lindholm-like offensive jump next year (contract year on his bridge deal).
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CN10 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
Toonage

Exp:

I wouldn't deal Hanifin yet either, but I was far more impressed with what I saw from Kylington this year. Smaller sample size obviously, but he's one player I hope they don't deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Reactionary Roster Management

If I'm Treliving, I'm upping the speed of this team first and foremost. The direction of the team seems to be going the towards the speed and skilled side, but we're missing that relentless back pressure that suffocates the opposition like Vegas, Colorado and etc. Force more turnovers with faster forwards and defend as a 5 man unit. Would love it if every line on this team had at least one burner.

Get stronger up the middle: Personally, I don't think the Flames are good enough at center, so I'd go hard for Matt Duchene. He'd be a free asset, has exceptional wheels, can score as well as he dishes and was paramount in leading the Blue Jackets to a series win over the Lightning.

Trade James Neal: His was an utter disaster and so is his contract. I still think he can play somewhere in this league, but he's not a fit on this team. His play sticks out like a sore thumb and I'd rather trade for an equally bad contract in hopes for a mutually beneficial lateral trade.

Goaltending: I'd be ok with re-signing Mike Smith to a 1 year stop gap contract as his performance in the playoffs was outstanding. However, my personal preference would be to find an upgrade as I think the styles clash. Smith seems to be at his best when facing 40+ shots whereas he seems to be at his worst when facing fewer shots. Not sure if it's a concentration thing or what, but the Flames typically, are a low shots against team, so maybe a new goaltender is needed. But if it's a choice between Smith and spending another asset to acquire another option, I'd go with Smith.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Toonage

Exp:

If Carolina balks at paying Mrazek twice his current salary I'd like the Flames to jump in there. Greiss is around $3M too but would cost a pick + I'm guessing. Both options I'd like to see explored ahead of Smith. Mrazek in particular might be a good partner for Rittich.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene's contract scares me is the only thing. 9 million for a guy who is 29.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Duchene's contract scares me is the only thing. 9 million for a guy who is 29.
If Duchene signs a seven-year deal this summer, he will be 35 when it expires. As UFA contracts go, it's not close to being the worst possible idea.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If Carolina balks at paying Mrazek twice his current salary I'd like the Flames to jump in there. Greiss is around $3M too but would cost a pick + I'm guessing. Both options I'd like to see explored ahead of Smith. Mrazek in particular might be a good partner for Rittich.
Or just go get Lehner.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Or just go get Lehner.
I'm betting they lock him up. Such a great year for him and such a great fit with Mitch Korn resurrecting his career.

(Edit - I thought he was signed by the Isles later than he actually was)

He may not have been this good elsewhere but the potential was there and no one seemed to want him.

But yes, if they could get him I'd be all for it.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the only way Flames can go after Duchene, who would really address the top 6 dynamic of the team, they would have to find a way to offload the James Neal contract, and I find that incredibly unlikely to pull off. It would involve at least giving up the Flames first rounder, and I really don't like that since that'll be back-to-back drafts with not having a pick in the first round, and that prevents us from developing forwards within the system that the team desperately needs. If they're gonna do that, they would have to find a way to get it back for this draft at least. It has to be a priority to draft in the first round since they didn't last year.

If they can manage to get rid of Neal's contract, then it'll open enough cap space to back up the Brinks truck to Duchene, as well re-sign Thkauck and Bennett, with some cap room to work with if necessary.

I feel one thing that should definitely happen this offseason is try a Brodie/Kadri trade. I feel it would work for both teams, and Kadri would be a great addition that add more versatility to the top 9, and gives the edge, speed, and skill that the Flames need to add this offseason. If Flames could get both Duchene, and Kadri, that would be a dream scenario coming true.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #20
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyone giving serious consideration to conditioning? I see a very good, talented team that faded as the season went on. For Monahan, coming back after 4 off season surgeries, it’s unsurprising the season would take a cumulative physical toll. Johnny’s poor diet IS an issue. It’s a microcosm of his lack of professionalism and commitment to doing all he can to be the best he can be. He has all the talent in the world but does anyone believe he trains like Gio or Iggy in the offseason? Neal too has gotten a wake up call.

I’m sure many of you will scoff at these suggestions. But the best response for the players on this team is to look at themselves and as a collective, assess what they can do better and prepare to ensure a better outcome next year. For a number of our key guys, that has to start with better offseason conditioning. I’m not sure we need key additions so much as a few promotions from within and renewed commitment. I think this roster is capable of much more than they accomplished in these playoffs.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote