Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #41
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

7 x 7.75 per
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #42
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Any possibilities of a bridge deal?
Really see where his career trajectory is really going and also the teams with its current core. I hate to commit so many dollars and term on a player who’s skating hasn’t improved and due to playing style wont likely get better in such a fast pace league now.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #43
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think short term (4-5 years) probably makes sense here BECAUSE they went short/cheap on JG/SM. Probably the window for this core is 3 more years. If you sign Tkachuk for less money on a shorter deal (and you should get a discount for 0 UFA years) then you have flexibility to add another piece.

That hurts you after the deal, but probably we're rebuilding then anyway.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #44
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I would guess his salary range should be $6.5 - 7. 0 x 6 to 8 years. His skating is not elite, and with his rough style I think he is vulnerable to injury.
This is a player that is trending up in all facets of the game. Tkachuk could be the teams captain in a few seasons and quite frankly has the ability to lead the team in scoring if he get's true first line minutes.

Personally, I can't see any scenario where his AAV is below $8M if the deal is in the 4-8 year term range. He draws penalties, creates on his own, has a knack for finishing and stirs the pot with the best of them. To say he's not worth more than a few hundred thousand in AAV compared to Monahan or even Guadreau is a pretty big reach considering the economics of the league since they signed their deals.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #45
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the way Tkachuk played in the playoffs I have to wonder about him. He had a good game one then disappeared for the next four games. I was expecting him to be a force like Bennett and he wasn’t even close. He’s slow and if he doesn’t have the drive that Giordano does then what is he? Certainly not captain material based on his apparent soft nature in the playoffs. His stock has dropped considerably in my eyes.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #46
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If your paying $8mm plus for tkatchuk i would have spent the money and signed Stone and traded Mathew to reap the assets and afford Stones contract. He doesn’t drive the bus, skates on his ankles. He has hockey smarts and a decent shot and goes to the tough places. Stone has size, speed , compete and can drive a line by himself
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #47
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

If he doesn’t want a bridge deal and only wants a 5 year big payoff then I quietly see what you can get for him. Point? Barzal? Etc
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #48
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Any possibilities of a bridge deal?
Really see where his career trajectory is really going and also the teams with its current core. I hate to commit so many dollars and term on a player who’s skating hasn’t improved and due to playing style wont likely get better in such a fast pace league now.
Almost zero chance

Flames went Bridge with Bennett but he had a big dip from 36-26pts after his elc expired.

Flames avoided bridge deals with Monahan, Gaudreau and trade acquisitions Hamilton and Hanifin (Lindholm was coming off his bridge deal with the Canes). Tkachuk has scored more goals and got more points every year he has been in the league. He is proven and will not be going bridge.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Eric Francis said there is no way its more than 5 years. I believe he guaranteed it. So I'll just mark 5 down in ink...
This makes me nervous or excited.

It could be 4 or 6, because based on Francis Inspector Gadget track record it won’t be 5.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #50
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Almost zero chance

Flames went Bridge with Bennett but he had a big dip from 36-26pts after his elc expired.

Flames avoided bridge deals with Monahan, Gaudreau and trade acquisitions Hamilton and Hanifin (Lindholm was coming off his bridge deal with the Canes). Tkachuk has scored more goals and got more points every year he has been in the league. He is proven and will not be going bridge.
If he doesn't budge on giving up at least one UFA year, the Flames may simply refuse to give him a 5-year deal. What's in it for them?

The other players all gave up at least one UFA year.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #51
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If he doesn't budge on giving up at least one UFA year, the Flames may simply refuse to give him a 5-year deal. What's in it for them?

A 5 year deal would cover 1 year of UFA...no?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #52
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Offer sheet for more money and term and make the Flames match or walk away? This isn’t a Gaudreau scenario where all he can do is sit out. Lots of talk that offer sheets could be a reality this summer.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Offer sheet for more money and term and make the Flames match or walk away? This isn’t a Gaudreau scenario where all he can do is sit out. Lots of talk that offer sheets could be a reality this summer.

More than....what?

Offer Sheet (AAV)............................................. Compensation

$1,339,575 or below.........................................None
Over $1,339,575 to $2,029,59...........................3rd
Over $2,029,59 to $4,059,322...........................2nd
Over $4,059,322 to $6,088,980.........................1st, 3rd
Over $6,088,980 to $8,118,641.........................1st, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302......................(2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Over $10,148,302....................................... ....(4) 1st

Where is the "walk away" point?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #54
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over $8.1m on that chart.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Over $8.1m on that chart.
So you would value 2 1st rd, a 2nd and a 3rd rd pick over Matthew Tkachuk making 8.2 M a year?

OK...fair enough.

I would say it is not enough for me to walk on a guy that has improved every single year in the league and hasnt even seen his 22nd birthday yet...all while coming in top 30 in league scoring.

I mean...maybe one of those picks comes close to producing what MT does...unlikely but possible (all based on draft position obviously).
Old 04-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #56
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thinking: a team desperate enough to sign an offer sheet is likely in bottom third of the league. Otherwise why do it?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #57
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also remember that to calculate the AAV for an offer sheet to figure out the compensation level, you have to divide the total contract amount by number of years of the contract up to 5 years at which point it maxes out increasing the compensation. So a offer sheet of 6x9M (54M), in terms of compensation for that chart, would be 5 yrs 54M. Now in that last tier.

I don't think an offer sheet will be used on the Flames as they have the cap space to match any offer.

Last edited by Robbob; 04-23-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #58
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
My thinking: a team desperate enough to sign an offer sheet is likely in bottom third of the league. Otherwise why do it?
He may be the exact type guy to put a team over the top......like any other signing he would be expected to make that team better.

Im not sure MT would sign an offer sheet at that $$ anyhow unless BT was lowballing hard....which is not really something we have seen from him.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #59
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He may be the exact type guy to put a team over the top......like any other signing he would be expected to make that team better.

Im not sure MT would sign an offer sheet at that $$ anyhow unless BT was lowballing hard....which is not really something we have seen from him.
The teams also need their picks. A lot of the teams at the top have traded their picks or have conditions on picks.

Out of the playoff teams you have the following teams that have their picks for this year:
COL, LV, CAR, PIT, NAS, TB, NYI, WAS, and BOS.

Looking at that list maybe Carolina, NYI, or Colorado could make a push, but the others are up against the cap or have their own RFA issues.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #60
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Also remember that to calculate the AAV for an offer sheet to figure out the compensation level, you have to divide the total contract amount by number of years of the contract up to 5 years at which point it maxes out increasing the compensation. So a offer sheet of 6x9M (54M), in terms of compensation for that chart, would be 5 yrs 54M. Now in that last tier.

I don't think an offer sheet will be used on the Flames as they have the cap space to match any offer.
Hasn't it been reported that he's looking for 5 years? Seems like a team doing an offer sheet might give that to him...

If I was the GM of another team, 8.1MM for 5 years plus a 1st 2nd and 3rd would look pretty attractive. If those picks are bottom half that would be way less than he's worth.

I think that also means that 8.1MMx5 might be the best possible outcome Tre can get...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote