Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #301
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
If we had Bishop in net instead of Smith, would it have made a lick of difference in the outcome of the series?
I don't know, but at least we'd have a Vezina quality goaltender with the ability to carry us deep into the playoffs.

Too many people said the Flames dodged a bullet when we missed out on him because he was over rated. Just wanted to point out that those people were dead wrong. Thats all.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #302
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So weird how the Stars always look explosive offensively when they play the Flames but every-time I watch them play other teams the look like the old Devils. I actually was fully expecting them to win as usually when one team is dominating the other and can't score it usually ends up with the other team scoring on one of their few chances. Good to see the better team win.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #303
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't know, but at least we'd have a Vezina quality goaltender with the ability to carry us deep into the playoffs.

Too many people said the Flames dodged a bullet when we missed out on him because he was over rated. Just wanted to point out that those people were dead wrong. Thats all.
Its true. I was one who thought he wasn't worth his contract, but $4.9M isn't so steep in retrospect and the term isn't long enough that he will be an anchor (at least for 4/6 years).
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #304
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Its true. I was one who thought he wasn't worth his contract, but $4.9M isn't so steep in retrospect and the term isn't long enough that he will be an anchor (at least for 4/6 years).
It's actually turned into one of the best contracts in the NHL. Koskinen is making $4.5 million for the next three seasons. One guy is Vezina caliber, the other is Oiler caliber.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #305
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like Maroon and am glad he's doing so well in the playoffs.

I feel bad that he and his agent overestimated his value and he ended up signing for scraps.

How awesome for him though, to be doing this in his home town and with his son there.
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/l...oal-for-blues/
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #306
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I remember the rumours that we were going to sign Maroon. He would have been a great add. Hindsight, am I right?!?!
I thought there were discussions and the flames had interest but couldn't quite free up cap space. I could be remembering wrong, though.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #307
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I thought there were discussions and the flames had interest but couldn't quite free up cap space. I could be remembering wrong, though.
Maybe at the time Maroon was asking more than the cap space would allow but he ended up making $1.75M. Creatively they probably could have made room for that little. Don't sign Czarnik and it's done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #308
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maroon is a guy that does well in the playoffs...not so much in the regular season

but even he admitted that he had a terrible year and it only turned around with the help of his linemates...

i thought Maroon took a substantial discount to sign at home
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #309
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Maroon is a guy that does well in the playoffs...not so much in the regular season

but even he admitted that he had a terrible year and it only turned around with the help of his linemates...

i thought Maroon took a substantial discount to sign at home
I had thought the story was that Maroon was thinking he'd get a raise and the offers just didn't come in. He was a fairly late UFA signing. He probably wishes he'd been a UFA after his first year in Edmonton when he scored 27, and not after dropping the next year.

He is making about $250K less now than with Anaheim/Edmonton/NJ.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #310
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
We need him and Rene Bourque back. That will right the ship.

Along with Jaybo and Craig Berube, OBC. Stanley Cup here we come!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #311
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I had thought the story was that Maroon was thinking he'd get a raise and the offers just didn't come in. He was a fairly late UFA signing. He probably wishes he'd been a UFA after his first year in Edmonton when he scored 27, and not after dropping the next year.

He is making about $250K less now than with Anaheim/Edmonton/NJ.
I'm sure that's what it was. I remember a couple of interviews where he admitted it.
at the end he ended up just taking what St. Louis was offering as he didn't have many choices and he really wanted to play at home.

what's funny is how Maroon is another example that not making a move can often be the best move.

when looking for an article about his signing, there were a lot of "Trade Maroon" articles in December and January of this past season. combination of poor play and the Blues needing assets to make up for the fact they're going to miss the playoffs.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/01...atrick-maroon/

Barring a miracle, the Blues are not going to make the playoffs for the second straight year. This is even more disappointing after acquiring the forwards over the offseason that were supposed to be the missing pieces.

The Blues need to try to obtain players that will make the Blues better consistently in the future and Maroon just is not that guy. He has been that guy in the past with other teams. Maroon might be worth taking a chance on, but ultimately the Blues do not have much room to take chances.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019...be-traded.html

The Blues have little reason not to shop him ahead of the deadline and sell him off to the highest bidder. Expect just that to happen by February 26th.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #312
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maroon is a likable guy and good story but I would stay clear in free agency as he's the classic free agency mistake teams make based on overvaluing a playoff performance. He's been trending down for a few years now and while he looks good in the playoffs where there's not the free wheeling of the regular season, and the officials put the whistles away letting everything go, he's going to underwhelm in the regular season.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #313
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maroon is a likable guy and good story but I would stay clear in free agency as he's the classic free agency mistake teams make based on overvaluing a playoff performance. He's been trending down for a few years now and while he looks good in the playoffs where there's not the free wheeling of the regular season, and the officials put the whistles away letting everything go, he's going to underwhelm in the regular season.
He really has had only one year where his stats were worthy of over $2M, and that was stuffing in rebounds on the McDavid line. Which to be fair, he is decent at (see last night).

I think he's in for another disappointing off season unless there's a really foolish GM out there.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #314
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He really has had only one year where his stats were worthy of over $2M, and that was stuffing in rebounds on the McDavid line. Which to be fair, he is decent at (see last night).

I think he's in for another disappointing off season unless there's a really foolish GM out there.
Unless? You question that, LOL.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #315
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The game really changes in the playoffs, and will continue to change a lot more because the NHL punted a referee crew that enforced the rules. You really need regular season team and a playoff team. Maroon is a good example of one of those players and it’s tough for a GM to balance the need for such players in light of cap limitations.

It reminds me of an old James Cann movie; “Rollerball”, they kept removing rules until the final game was a deathmatch with no rules.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #316
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Unless? You question that, LOL.
Edmonton can't afford $2M.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #317
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Apparently this is Maroons son after the game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1126095427454078976
Old 05-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #318
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Apparently this is Maroons son after the game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1126095427454078976
That is very special.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #319
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That is very special.
Maroon wanted to be close to his son, so he signed for less money than what he could of...iirc... not like he had a ton of offers, but i don't think StL was the highest bidder

that's a memory you can't buy... very touching to see... hard not to root for the guy

https://twitter.com/user/status/1125980508247220224

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/patric...lues-ot-game-7

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-08-2019 at 07:05 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #320
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Maroon's never-ending smile after scoring that goal is the best thing in these playoffs.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote