Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never even got the alarm (my wife did). Not sure if I should be concerned.

You can actually hear it go off in the middle of Rittich's post-game interview:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1106766368265760768
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

People use the dnd function for reasons other than sleep
The point is to alert as many people as possible
What a dumb thing to whine about
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
People use the dnd function for reasons other than sleep
The point is to alert as many people as possible
What a dumb thing to whine about
For someone who is apparently a moderator on this forum, I am glad you are encouraging conversation and people freely speak their mind lol Not everyone needs to agree with you.

Last edited by keenan87; 03-16-2019 at 11:56 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #44
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Waking up people in the middle of the night is useless and unnecessarily disruptive. Why not just be useless at that point? I'm not going to throw on my coat and start driving around. Should my kids hop on their bikes and start searching, too?

I think people should be allowed to disable these alerts during certain hours. Maybe everyone is allowed to pick 8 or 10 hours within a 24-hour period where they're allowed to be undisturbed.
Its not about actively going out and searching, you wouldn't do that during the daytime either.

Its about alerting as many as possible that could have seen this missing person, or could have valuable info that could lead to a safe return.

What if you happened to see this child a few hours ago, somewhere random. you don't think anything of it. go to bed. wake up to the alert, see the picture and then remember seeing the kid. your info could lead to saving a life.

that's more important than a restful sleep.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
For someone who is apparently a moderator on this forum, I am glad you are encouraging conversation and people freely speak their mind lol Not everyone needs to agree with you.
No they don’t
Never said they did
People can say what they want and people can also say those things are dumb
This isn’t a hockey debate. It’s about kids going missing
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My phone vibrated both times but didn’t make any noise.

The amber alert went off while I was driving and I have my phone linked to my car audio. Knowing about amber alerts I quickly turned down the volume, even though it made no noise. Made me wonder though, having that sound go off while behind the wheel could definitely freak someone out.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #47
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
He's expressing his opinion too, I think moderators are allowed to do that.

The moderation aspect has nothing to do with any of this.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #48
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought i was a bit of a problem with my phone, I hit dismiss right away to shut up the beeping at 12:00am. But it cleared the alert and I couldn't read it. seems like there should be a fast easy way to clear the beeping, without clearing the message.

First Message said mid afternoon in Edmonton didn't seem prudent for me to take much note. The second one offered a license plate number and said in Calgary, I thought I should at least be a little attentive, but I had to look it up to read it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #49
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The one weird thing. I have my android phone sync'd to my fitbit. I get emails and texts on my watch. But the Amber Alert doesn't notify to my watch. I had my phone charging in the other room when the alert came in, and yeah its loud. But syncing to a wrist device would be nice.

My Fitbit was vibrating and giving me the alert several times, even though my phone was upstairs and I was in the basement, and it is hit and miss for getting texts to my watch. Maybe depends on the model? I have a Versa.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #50
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Waking up people in the middle of the night is useless and unnecessarily disruptive. Why not just be useless at that point? I'm not going to throw on my coat and start driving around. Should my kids hop on their bikes and start searching, too?

I think people should be allowed to disable these alerts during certain hours. Maybe everyone is allowed to pick 8 or 10 hours within a 24-hour period where they're allowed to be undisturbed.
It’s not a call to arms dude. But it does provide the opportunity to dust off the rascal and grid search the best community in Calgary.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #51
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree. But you know you don't have to sleep with your phone beside you, right? If you're a light sleeper and these alerts will wake you up, just leave your phone in another room when you go to bed.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #52
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there differences between phones or something? My media volume was on zero and my phone was on silent and I did not receive the audible alert.

I don't agree with any of the crying about the alerts. If it was your kid you'd want anyone and everyone to hear it. Being scared or awoken is a pretty minor inconvenience when you compare it to a kid that was missing and reportedly in imminent danger.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #53
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What needs to be improved?
The fact that the alert didn't actually provide any content and you had to look up the information on a secondary source unless you have the app installed which is actually useful.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #54
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't disagree. But you know you don't have to sleep with your phone beside you, right? If you're a light sleeper and these alerts will wake you up, just leave your phone in another room when you go to bed.
Exactly. And certainly a sleeping 12 year old (as someone was complaining the alert woke up their kid) doesn’t need their phone right beside their head.

I’m glad they found the boy and I hope he’s ok.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #55
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was Amber Alert using the Emergency Alert System.

If something happen like in New Zealand and they had to let everyone know that there was a terrorist/mass murderers out there we'd all be pissed AF if it didn't go off because our devices were set to Do Not Disturb or on Mute.

I was at home watching the game and still up when the second one came. The first one also had a link to the description of the first car with that license plate. The second one had new details about the second car and plates. If I was out and about I would certainly be alerted to any type of situation and be more aware, whether Amber alert, terror, weather, you name it.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #56
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh my phone was on silent and the alert vibrates but didn’t make any noise. Maybe you should turn your phone to silent before you go to bed.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #57
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

In regards to the "This isn't relevant to me, I didn't need this alarm bothering me" I will simply say that I know from experience you can't/won't make everyone happy.

"I'm don't live near the river, I don't need to know about a flood."
"I live on a hill near the river, Why have you wasted my time telling me about this."

No matter what it's about, unless it immediately, directly affects someone, a portion of the population will kvetch about it. And even if it does affect people directly, some will STILL complain about it, too.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #58
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a very fair point. I think the system needs to be tweaked as well. I know for a fact my fast-asleep 12-year-old daughter wasn't going to hop out of bed and solve this crime, so we didn't need to wake her up. My phone was set to 'do not disturb', which this system was able to circumvent to disturb me, too.

Instantaneoulsy virtually deputising the entire population of Alberta to stop a kidnapper is awesome, but last night illuminated some flaws. Maybe if a phone hasn't been accessed for 60 minutes between 10pm and 7am the system would assume the person is sleeping or something? IDK, but there will be a solution I'm sure.
Authorities would be infringing on privacy rights if they were to ping, and then recognize a dormant device.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 03-16-2019 at 01:23 PM.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
In regards to the "This isn't relevant to me, I didn't need this alarm bothering me" I will simply say that I know from experience you can't/won't make everyone happy.

"I'm don't live near the river, I don't need to know about a flood."
"I live on a hill near the river, Why have you wasted my time telling me about this."

No matter what it's about, unless it immediately, directly affects someone, a portion of the population will kvetch about it. And even if it does affect people directly, some will STILL complain about it, too.
Well, let us know if anybody here is complaining about it. I haven't seen any of that. I said it's awesome that we can alert everyone and suggested some tweaks to make it better as I think it's important to constantly improve things instead of just dopely assuming a relatively new system was rolled out already perfect, but it looks like bit everyone shares that opinion.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Is it not as simple as turning your phone off while you sleep if you dont want to hear it?

I mean......you dont want to be disturbed, there is a way to make that happen in about 3 seconds.

I cannot believe the crap people complain about. Particularly when lives are at stake.