Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #881
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we should have a general Star Trek thread instead, and, a Discovery thread? I don't give a #### about this show but I am very interested in the movies and Picard.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #882
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You're being too mean to TMP.

Directed by Robert Wise, who edited Citizen Kane. It doesn't really happen anymore where movies give entire 5+ minute scenes to showcase their music. Jerry Goldsmith is on the Mount Rushmore of film composers. And the visuals in this sequence are still absolutely gorgeous.

Get good and high this October and watch TMP. It doesn't belong with those other, ahem, efforts.
I loved that scene. Its a shame the rest of the movie was hot garbage.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #883
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I did like the last 5 minutes, the effect of V'ger evolving, the Enterprise coming out of the light over the earth was amazing, the banter of the bridge crew with Kirk's last command

Heading sir?

Out there . . . that away.

Its almost like in the last 5 minutes they realized what makes Trek good.

Its just like Undiscovered Country with the "Second star to the left and straight on til morning" I always get a lump in my throat when I see that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #884
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Whenever a wiz bang shaky cam action scene comes up in a movie these days, I don't enjoy them. I know what the outcome is, becuase the stories are dull and predictable, so I suffer through 5 minutes, not giving a crap about what is going on, waiting for them to get to the point.
I tend to fall asleep in big action scenes these days. Sustained kinetic action exploding on the screen lulls me into a doze.

The problem is tentpole movies today make much of their money from overseas tickets. And drama and dialogue don't translate as well across cultures as action.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #885
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I did like the last 5 minutes, the effect of V'ger evolving, the Enterprise coming out of the light over the earth was amazing, the banter of the bridge crew with Kirk's last command

Heading sir?

Its just like Undiscovered Country with the "Second star to the left and straight on til morning" I always get a lump in my throat when I see that.
I love that scene from Undiscovered Country too even though never quite understood the Neverland parallel. Is Kirk the boy who would never grow up?

Whatever, it sounded cool and nostalgic.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #886
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also loved the final scene in Voyage Home when they're on the bridge of the newly built Enterprise A, and Kirk says "alright Mr. Sulu, let's see what she's got."

I remember seeing that movie the first week it was out when I was a kid, and the entire theatre cheered and clapped during that scene.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #887
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wrath of Kahn had this incredible ending because it summed up the entire the entire of theme of the movie which there were really two. First aging and feeling that inevitable pull of it and realizing that you aren't young anymore. And sacrifice, they used the book the tale of two cities and explored sacrifice vs loss.

Then after everything, Spocks death and funeral, the ravages of Kahn, they're standing on the bridge watching the Genesis planet being born in front of their eyes.

Quote:
McCoy: He's not really dead. As long as we remember him.
Kirk: It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. A far better resting place that I go to than I have ever known.
Carol Marcus: Is that a poem?
Kirk: No. Something Spock was trying to tell me. On my birthday.
McCoy: You okay, Jim? How do you feel?
Kirk: Young. I feel young.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #888
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I also loved the final scene in Voyage Home when they're on the bridge of the newly built Enterprise A, and Kirk says "alright Mr. Sulu, let's see what she's got."

I remember seeing that movie the first week it was out when I was a kid, and the entire theatre cheered and clapped during that scene.

They physical motion of Kirk leaning forward like a kid going on his first plane ride was awesome.

For all of Shatner's scenary chewing cheese at times, we tend to forget how gifted he could b.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #889
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, the reaction to his son's murder was really well done. Terrific acting from Shatner in that scene, specifically the way he stumbles backwards from the shock, and the emotional delivery of the dialogue. I wonder how many takes they did of that scene before they managed to capture that perfect one.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #890
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If you read his book the stumble and fall happened by accident. He tripped during a take and they loved if

Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #891
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Maybe we should have a general Star Trek thread instead, and, a Discovery thread? I don't give a #### about this show but I am very interested in the movies and Picard.
Go ahead and start one then. Why did you open and read a thread for a show you don't care about?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #892
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Heading sir?

Go to Hell
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #893
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Voyage Home a lot more than Search for Spock. The only cool thing about Search for Spock was the Enterprise self-destruct. Otherwise it wasn’t great. Should be inbetween the good and bad, like in some kind of neutral zone. Didn’t like Kirstey Alley being recast either.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #894
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I liked Voyage Home a lot more than Search for Spock. The only cool thing about Search for Spock was the Enterprise self-destruct. Otherwise it wasn’t great. Should be inbetween the good and bad, like in some kind of neutral zone. Didn’t like Kirstey Alley being recast either.

Other cool moments from Search for Spock:

Scotty sabotaging the Excelsior. ("The more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.")

Sulu kickin' ass ("don't call me tiny.")

Stealing the Enterprise

As mentioned above, David's death and Kirk's heartbreaking reaction

Spock regaining his katra from McCoy and reuniting with his crewmates. ("Jim. Your name is Jim.")
Old 08-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #895
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Go ahead and start one then. Why did you open and read a thread for a show you don't care about?
Because there's a lot of talk about other Star Trek in here? The seems like an unusual hostile response
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #896
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think Beyond didn’t perform because Into Darkness was such a letdown. It was bad for fans and mainstream audiences alike. I can’t believe it has a fresh rating. It was momentously stupid. And made worse by the great trailers that didn’t deliver.

Beyond had very little buzz but was quite a bit more Star Trek like and was fun and entertaining.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #897
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yea, the reaction to his son's murder was really well done. Terrific acting from Shatner in that scene, specifically the way he stumbles backwards from the shock, and the emotional delivery of the dialogue. I wonder how many takes they did of that scene before they managed to capture that perfect one.

I thought the line could've been altered slightly for accuracy:

Spoiler!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #898
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m one of the only Final Frontier apologists out there. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think is top tier, but it gets way more hate than it deserves. Actually a really interesting cerebral story with some solid performances. The special effects are bad, but the themes are solid and remain topical more than ever today. People just never watch it because it’s “lol the bad one”.

There’s only one truly bad Trek movie I never watch and that’s Nemesis. I tried to watch it again a few years back and it’s truly terrible.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #899
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

There’s only one truly bad Trek movie I never watch and that’s Nemesis. I tried to watch it again a few years back and it’s truly terrible.
I agree, Nemesis is a disaster on every level. The TNG crew deserved so much better. I was hoping they were gonna do at least one more movie with that cast just so they could do it the right way and go out on a high note.

Perhaps the new Picard series will help right some of those wrongs.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #900
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nemesis is the only Trek movie I skipped watching in the theater. (Aside from The Motion Picture, I was 3 when it came out.) I've only ever seen Nemesis once and it is the only Trek movie that I will never watch again.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote