Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Star Trek Discovery

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

Quote:
CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Last edited by KTrain; 10-11-2017 at 10:29 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

###### ya! That's great news!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, bring it on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any details on this at least? It's not the adventures of Worf idea people were floating around before right?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am ecstatic! Movie in the summer, new TV series in the winter. This is awesome.

I hope this streaming format works for the show. I know I will soon be an enthusiastic subscriber.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Admiral Chekov is in it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm guessing that the series will take place in the new 2.0 universe the reboot movies created, which sucks. I really wanted a new series post-DS9
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm guessing that the series will take place in the new 2.0 universe the reboot movies created, which sucks. I really wanted a new series post-DS9
Was hoping for a militaristic post-war post DS9 series... probably around the collapse of the Romulan empire and maybe some new enemy that comes in. Something with at least a lot darker tones and not so much tied into something existing.

Problem is with prequels (even 2.0 universe) is you are tied too much with canon in terms of characters, races, etc. You end up with your hands tied during things like Enterprise, having your hands tied and eventually falling back to things that 'work' in previous series or much worse, pissing off people who watched the original shows and you break continuity one way or another.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the over/under on 'Time Travel?'

Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #11
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.
Fail. Star Trek isn't a strong enough property today to require people to register with a service to view it. We're not talking about Game of Thrones here.

I mean if they can MAKE Star Trek that strong, awesome, but I'm really skeptical. I think instead the show will die because no one wants to subscribe to a new service just to see it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
While I did enjoy the latest Star Trek movies, I agree that the series should have similar feel to TNG and DS9. Starting after DS9 would be a good idea.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd prefer to see a Mirror Universe series, that showed the rise and fall of the Empire.

It was the only really good arc in Enterprise.

How refreshing would it be to see a bunch of thugs and brutes in federation uniforms conquering the galaxy.

Space the Final Frontier
These are the voyages of the Battleship Enterprise
To boldly go forth in the name of the Emperor
To seek out and subjugate all species
To boldly conquer and exterminate what no man has done before

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

DS9 ended 16 years ago, you've got nearly a generation of TV watchers that would have no idea what it was, I don't think you could do that if you're launching a new series. Or at least you can't tightly tie it to DS9.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

the new series will be based on the Federation's mission to seek out and reunite all of the children that Kirk fathered during the Enterprise's original five year mission.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The end of the press release gives hope to those wanting it about something other than the 2.0 universe.

Quote:
The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There's too much canon/continuity from original Trek to continue it on. I love TOS (my favorite series) but even I have to admit that when they went back to the 23rd century in Enterprise, it's pretty hokey to force the idea that technology just happened to look like the 1960s set design inside the canon of the show.

TNG itself is horribly cheesy for the most part, if viewed today. Voyager is the worst of the lot. DS9 was a triumph of 90s television and was the only one to build a strong universe that I would want to see a continuation of.

CBS looks like it's trying to use Star Trek as an anchor franchise (they probably have a few more planned) to be the tent poles of their new streaming service as they see the writing on the wall. The problem is that there are going to be too many streaming services to subscribe to if you want a specific awesome show. Netflix for their original content (Marvel TV Universe), HBO (Game of Thrones), Amazon (Top Gear), and now CBS (Star Trek), etc. that it will add up pretty quickly and people are just going to pirate even more.

The only thing I don't want is Abrams universe ship-design. Those are ugly space-tubs, designed by the same guy who made the garbage from the Star Wars prequels.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-02-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's too much canon/continuity from original Trek to continue it on. I love TOS (my favorite series) but even I have to admit that when they went back to the 23rd century in Enterprise, it's pretty hokey to force the idea that technology just happened to look like the 1960s set design inside the canon of the show.

TNG itself is horribly cheesy for the most part, if viewed today. Voyager is the worst of the lot. DS9 was a triumph of 90s television and was the only one to build a strong universe that I would want to see a continuation of.

CBS looks like it's trying to use Star Trek as an anchor franchise (they probably have a few more planned) to be the tent poles of their new streaming service as they see the writing on the wall. The problem is that there are going to be too many streaming services to subscribe to if you want a specific awesome show. Netflix for their original content (Marvel TV Universe), HBO (Game of Thrones), Amazon (Top Gear), and now CBS (Star Trek), etc. that it will add up pretty quickly and people are just going to pirate even more.

The only thing I don't want is Abrams universe ship-design. Those are ugly space-tubs, designed by the same guy who made the garbage from the Star Wars prequels.
My biggest worry with a reboot is the potential for lazy writing. Just take the best parts of the old universe and just redo them, but "edgier".

I'd prefer the new series to be set in the original universe. As long, as the plot wasn't overly dependent on the original series, it could work. Given the amount of time, that's passed since the previous series, that wouldn't be too hard to pull off. They could even do what TNG and TOS did and have it start 100 years after the previous series. This allows you to keep the other shows as cannon but essentially create a new universe.

But yeah, I think it's going to be entirely a reboot. I just hope they don't continuously pull in TNG actors in for cameos via some extra-dimensional transport.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Fail. Star Trek isn't a strong enough property today to require people to register with a service to view it. We're not talking about Game of Thrones here.

I mean if they can MAKE Star Trek that strong, awesome, but I'm really skeptical. I think instead the show will die because no one wants to subscribe to a new service just to see it.
Now that would be fun. Once Game of Thrones is done they take on Star Trek.

No budget, no censorship, just Star Trek done Game of Thrones style. I could get into that.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
TNG itself is horribly cheesy for the most part, if viewed today.
Having watched all of TNG in the last 2 years, I'd say the majority of it is still watchable. I'd have no issue returning to that time period, post DS9, though as some mentioned it could be a tough sell for those unfamiliar with the continuity.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote