Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
ruddstud
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Central air conditioning

Hey CP looking for advice...
We are interested in installing central air for our home. I got a few quotes so far with Sears being the best. We are looking at a 13 seer, 3 ton, 2 stage AC unit. Our home is 1850 sq ft. We got a quote for the Kenmore unit as $3800 installed. Is that reasonable?? This is with a $400 rebate already taken off the $3800. The reason I am sceptical is that she looked at a sheet of paper and gave me the $3800 price without me seeing the REGULAR price. I dont know if she took off the $400 or just made someting up in her head? Any advice would be great.... BTW she added on $149 after we agreed so we could have no interest for 3 years!! Seemed a little fishy after the fact.

Here was the price breakdown:
Unit - $1940
evaporator coil - $460
Disconnect switch - $30
20ft Tubing - $210
Condensing unit cover - $68
install - $1000
Low ambre and switch iso relay - $80
permits - $160

Last edited by ruddstud; 05-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.
ruddstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my house is about 1850 and when we had it installed (~6 yrs ago) i think the price was closer to $3k.

i beleive my unit is over 15 seer though - i wanted something more efficient and was willing to pay for that.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
ruddstud
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i thought that since we will rarely use it, the 13 seer rating would work...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #44
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddstud View Post
i thought that since we will rarely use it, the 13 seer rating would work...
We have A/C and I thought the same as you but you will use it more than you think. Get the more efficient model.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #45
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
my house is about 1850 and when we had it installed (~6 yrs ago) i think the price was closer to $3k.

i beleive my unit is over 15 seer though - i wanted something more efficient and was willing to pay for that.
That sounds incredibly cheap. Are you sure you have your numbers right? Is that from nothing to fully functioning?

The $3800 ruddstud was quoted seems reasonable. Have a look at the rest of the thread; I merged it with the previous thread on the topic.

I also find we use our A/C way more than the proverbial "10 days per year you need it in Calgary." Even used it a few times this past week when it was 13 outside but 24 on the main floor of the house. Previously we would have just opened windows and then woken up in the morning with it too cold inside. Now we just use the A/C with the programable thermostat and make the house the temperature we want. I'm OK with burning 50¢ in electricity to do that.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much does AC use in a new 1400 sq foot single detached house in calgary cost? is it a really huge expense?
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #47
ruddstud
Scoring Winger

Exp:

approx $75 a month in the summer
The Following User Says Thank You to ruddstud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #48
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddstud View Post
Hey CP looking for advice...
Seems pretty reasonable to low actually. I'm looking around 3k for a 2.5 ton unit, with everything all roughed in (rough-in was $700 at time of purchase).
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #49
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to save someone a lot of grief this spring, when you're deciding where to place your new ac unit there's a bylaw that says it needs to be on the side of your house that does not have clear walkthrough access. Contractors like arpi's or service experts either don't know this or don't tell you about it.

I almost placed mine on the side of the house with unimpeded walkthrough access which creates a real headache if you decide to sell your house.

If it's too late or for some reason you have to place it there, you will need to apply for a development permit which costs about $400 and takes four to eight weeks. The only other option is to have the air conditioning moved.

The by law was put in in 2008 and it's for clear access for the fire department.

Hopefully that saves someone a lot of problems.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #51
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best sleep of the year is the one immediately following that first hellish hot night when I crank the AC and pull out the duvet because its too cold inside.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #52
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was getting more and more disappointed as I scrolled through the thread. I had almost lost all hope before I saw Flash Walken's post from earlier today. Thank you sir.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #53
Wr3ck3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but looking for suggestions on who to get in for a quote for central air! Who did you use and were you happy with the service?
What is the best time to be making the purchase?

Thanks!
Wr3ck3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #54
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

No recommendations on who to use as a "guy" installed ours a bunch of years ago and I don't have his name anymore. These days I'd likely start with a place like Home Depot or lowes and go from there. My neighbour went with Home Depot and his house is cold when he turns it on.

As for timing, it depends - we had ours installed on Mother's Day and got lucky in that it was 30 ish out that week right after. If I was going to do it, it would be sometime in early May as you are then ready. If you. Wait until a hot spell, you may be in a queue.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #55
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do NOT go to Home Depot. *Their contractor of choice* had a deal with HD last year and we've had nothing but trouble since it was installed. Bad install job- terrible follow up. Still not meeting code after 3 visits from them!!

Last edited by REDVAN; 06-10-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Remove name of company.
REDVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #56
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We went with Costco 2 years ago. They sent out Service Experts; they were fast and did a good install. So far, two summers and no problems. And you get a 300 dollars Costco card per unit installed.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #57
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy had a really good experience with Action Furnance when they had their AC installed. He highly recommends them.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #58
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wr3ck3d View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but looking for suggestions on who to get in for a quote for central air! Who did you use and were you happy with the service?
What is the best time to be making the purchase?

Thanks!

I've had good experience with Arpi's, The best time if you want it for this summer is right now, if you wait much longer you'll be in the busy season which leads to less experienced install guys and no deals.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #59
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I've had good experience with Arpi's, The best time if you want it for this summer is right now, if you wait much longer you'll be in the busy season which leads to less experienced install guys and no deals.
Agreed. I had Arpi's install A/C last summer and don't have anything bad to say. Cost was around $3700 and my house is cold when it is hot outside so it appears to be working.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #60
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
We went with Costco 2 years ago. They sent out Service Experts; they were fast and did a good install. So far, two summers and no problems. And you get a 300 dollars Costco card per unit installed.
+1 for Costco and service experts. Install went perfectly and zero issues with the system after two summers.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote