Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #341
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Besides the obvious of course
nope, it is that easy.

Turned ours on for the first time this year on Saturday.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #342
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Has anyone shopped around this year for a new AC unit?
Ive requested a couple of quotes and reading online, people point to costco but then others say that costco really has nothing to do with it after the fact and you pay a premium while not receiving the costco support.

Also, are you able to get a smaller unit if you have dual zones (upper as 1 and main/basement as the other). I am assuming you are only requesting ac to one zone at a time but could be wrong on this.
The Costco programs are a joke, The vendors they sub to basically just bump their prices to cover the Costco cash card you get back, so it's really no cheaper. I had this confirmed last year when I did the AC install after I went through Costco, they basically told me that because I was refereed through Costco I Wasnt eligible for their normal pricing, and again when I booked my flooring install.

I ended up going through Action Furnace. I'm quite happy with the unit - When it comes to AC, It's a Goodman unit, and no issues so far (knock on wood)
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #343
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Has anyone shopped around this year for a new AC unit?
Ive requested a couple of quotes and reading online, people point to costco but then others say that costco really has nothing to do with it after the fact and you pay a premium while not receiving the costco support.

Also, are you able to get a smaller unit if you have dual zones (upper as 1 and main/basement as the other). I am assuming you are only requesting ac to one zone at a time but could be wrong on this.
My wife just coordinated an AC install at their office. They work out of a small house so it's essentially a residential install. She started with Costco and was stunned by how high the estimate was and how inflexible the guy was. He basically said here's the price - with no description of what they were getting etc. She called another place who ended up being about 30% cheaper and they were thorough on all the options they had. Unit size, how the install could go etc. Not impressed with the Costco quote at all.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #344
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there anything special I should do to my unit prior to firing it up for the first time of the year? We moved in in the winter and haven't had a stand alone AC unit prior to this.
I usually use garden hose with a good pressure nozzle and rinse out the condenser fins from the outside. let it dry and then go!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #345
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put a cover on mine a couple years ago and have found it's made a big difference in keeping the unit clean and all debris out
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #346
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump, looking at getting some quotes for AC install and probably a hot water heater. Any recommendations?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #347
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Had this guy out 2 weeks ago: gavinrairie@hotmail.com

Did a great job, quote was really reasonable and did a couple friend's houses before mine (hence me going with him).
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #348
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Bump, looking at getting some quotes for AC install and probably a hot water heater. Any recommendations?
Correll Heating and Cooling just did mine. Very happy with the unit and the install overall. My unit is actually on his site and FB page
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #349
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think I am going to go with Daiken 13 seer unit 2.5 ton. Anyone have any feedback on this company's AC units? It's parent company to Goodman/Amana and only $200 more for 2 extra years of warranty than Goodman. After getting 3 quotes, about $2000 difference between same seer units.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #350
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We’ve had the Daiken 13 seer 3 tonne for two summers now and no issues from us, other than a buck completely destroyed our first unit, so we had to get it replaced through insurance. It’s hard to compare it much to our first house and AC unit as we were in a two story and are now in a bungalow. It’s apples to oranges, but I expected our bills to be worse in the new house with the AC, but it has not been the case. And yes, they have the best warranty in the business that I have seen. But, it does not cover back damage, which seems fair.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #351
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
I think I am going to go with Daiken 13 seer unit 2.5 ton. Anyone have any feedback on this company's AC units? It's parent company to Goodman/Amana and only $200 more for 2 extra years of warranty than Goodman. After getting 3 quotes, about $2000 difference between same seer units.
Who did you get quotes from?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #352
Flames-FanAttic
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested in getting a quote for there AC,or if you have any questions regarding an AC, please feel free to PM me. I have had my own small company now since 2013 and have been working in the industry since 2005. I would be happy to help. I deal mostly with the Goodman products which is actually a subsidiary company of Dakine. I can also get Trane products as well, they do however cost a bit more then Goodman products.
Flames-FanAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames-FanAttic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #353
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I called Action Furnace (highest quote with cheaper units), Fagnan (only deals with Carrier brand and decently priced), Justin Time (they called twice to cancel quote requests so I didn't bother to book them for the third time as I see it as poor customer service to cancel multiple times last minute), and lastly, Shift Air. I would have gone with either Fagnan or Shift Air, but felt Daikin was better choice/value.

I went with Shift Air as their prices were very competitive and found it nice that the owner came out himself to give quote and took time to give explanations with all my questions. And not pushy at all promoting extra services they have like wireless thermostat, annual cleaning, furnace upgrade, etc. I have to wait three weeks for the install to happen, but I suppose, they have small crew doing quality job at a time, rather than how larger firms do it with subcontracting out and getting the quickly.

Called Arpi to get a quote, but the wait time to get a quote was pretty far out so I didn't bother.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #354
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bought a 160 sq foot portable AC for the bedroom. Have yet to test it out. May be annoying to set it up in the window (ie having blinds open will be bright), but I'm hoping to just kick it on for a few hours before bedtime and turn it off since falling asleep is usually the issue, not staying asleep. $350.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #355
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a pricing anecdote for those of you who are shopping around....

I bought a 1.5 ton 13 SEER Lennox unit in 2016 for the same price as I just paid for a 2 ton 16 SEER Goodman unit.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #356
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
We’ve had the Daiken 13 seer 3 tonne for two summers now and no issues from us, other than a buck completely destroyed our first unit, so we had to get it replaced through insurance. It’s hard to compare it much to our first house and AC unit as we were in a two story and are now in a bungalow. It’s apples to oranges, but I expected our bills to be worse in the new house with the AC, but it has not been the case. And yes, they have the best warranty in the business that I have seen. But, it does not cover back damage, which seems fair.
There has to be a story here
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #357
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bump - Has anyone gone with a ComfortAire side discharge unit? 14 seer 2.5 tonne is what we are looking at.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #358
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the hot weather this week still so glad I bit the bullet and got central AC installed a couple years ago. Would highly recommend for anyone with small kids as it makes the temperatures over the night so much more comfortable
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:47 PM   #359
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ I was anti-AC until kids. Opening the window at 7pm does dick all, and they don't recover as well from the ignorant motorcycles driving by as loudly as possible throughout the summer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #360
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Here's a pricing anecdote for those of you who are shopping around....

I bought a 1.5 ton 13 SEER Lennox unit in 2016 for the same price as I just paid for a 2 ton 16 SEER Goodman unit.
Goodman is always a lot cheaper than Lennox.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: