Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #1021
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But even when the last bitcoin has been produced, miners will likely continue to actively and competitively participate and validate new transactions. The reason is that every bitcoin transaction has a transaction fee attached to it.
These fees, while today representing a few hundred dollars per block, could potentially rise to many thousands of dollars per block, especially as the number of transactions on the blockchain grows and as the price of a bitcoin rises. Ultimately, it will function like a closed economy, where transaction fees are assessed much like taxes.
https://www.investopedia.com/tech/wh...million-mined/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #1022
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsnixon View Post
From my basic understanding of PoS it will effectively make electricity use inconsequential.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/...-by-99-percent

This article states a 99% reduction of electricity demand for ETH's switch to PoS.
So this article is from January 2019 and is interesting. Has anything happened in the 2 years since?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #1023
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

isnt bitcoins point it is uncontrolled, if so then how do the fees get raised like taxes unless its already built into the system?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #1024
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I bought some ADA yesterday with this method which worked well, but then I wanted to take it out of Binance and put it into my Daedalus wallet so I could stake it. But they've disabled ADA withdrawals for "maintenance" that's been going on for more than 24 hours now, not impressed at all with them. I think I'll use Kraken for any future ADA purchases

I think it is because of the recent hard fork. They are updating software to allow the withdrawal. I am waiting for the same thing.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #1025
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So this article is from January 2019 and is interesting. Has anything happened in the 2 years since?
In early December, Ethereum 2.0, POS/Staking launched. You can now earn interest on Ethereum.

https://launchpad.ethereum.org/

However, mining is still ongoing and there's still no hard date on when POS will takeover completely (if ever).

Last edited by accord1999; 03-03-2021 at 02:18 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #1026
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
isnt bitcoins point it is uncontrolled, if so then how do the fees get raised like taxes unless its already built into the system?
Fees are paid per transaction, the goal is that by the time block rewards end, the number of transactions and their fees are high enough to incentivize miners to keep mining. At the moment, total transaction fees per day usually exceed 100 BTC:

https://btc.com/stats/fee
Old 03-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #1027
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Fees are paid per transaction, the goal is that by the time block rewards end, the number of transactions and their fees are high enough to incentivize miners to keep mining. At the moment, total transaction fees per day usually exceed 100 BTC:

https://btc.com/stats/fee
I get that an increase in the number of transactions would increase the amount of fees paid, I dont understand how the actual fee itself would get raised, isnt the amount built into the system already?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #1028
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
In early December, Ethereum 2.0, POS/Staking launched. You can now earn interest on Ethereum.

https://launchpad.ethereum.org/

However, mining is still ongoing and there's still no hard date on when POS will takeover completely (if ever).
Thanks. What I just learned while trying to answer my own question is that if crypto currency mining was a country it would be in the top 30 for energy usage. Unreal.

Where are all the environmentalist celebrities' outcries on this!?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #1029
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that an increase in the number of transactions would increase the amount of fees paid, I dont understand how the actual fee itself would get raised, isnt the amount built into the system already?
You pay a transaction fee for every transaction. So if you sell 1 BTC, you pay and addition 0.0001BTC(number made up) that goes to the miners/verifiers. I believe that's how it works. So it's like a CC transaction fee, not like cash.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #1030
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because the number of transactions are capped in each block, sometimes during high transaction demand periods you need to bid a higher fee in order for your transaction to be processed faster. If your bid is too low, you could end up waiting for a long time. There's a website that shows this in a pretty cool graphical manner:

Old 03-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #1031
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the number of transactions are capped in each block, sometimes during high transaction demand periods you need to bid a higher fee in order for your transaction to be processed faster. If your bid is too low, you could end up waiting for a long time. There's a website that shows this in a pretty cool graphical manner:

that makes sense and is an elegant solution, thanks
Old 03-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #1032
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

would I also be right in assuming that if more bitcoins are being transacted more often then the amount of power needed to allow that goes up proportionally?
Old 03-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #1033
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
would I also be right in assuming that if more bitcoins are being transacted more often then the amount of power needed to allow that goes up proportionally?
It's not quite the direct connection; if every miner chose not to buy new equipment to increase their own hash rate, then the amount of power used remains the same.

But it's human nature that if the fiscal rewards are increasing (especially if its in terms of fiat) then many miners are going to invest in more equipment (and new ones start up) to try to catch that increase, resulting in a new increase of power used, up till the point where it reaches equilibrium of where it's only modestly profitable after accounting for electricity and capital costs.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #1034
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not quite the direct connection; if every miner chose not to buy new equipment to increase their own hash rate, then the amount of power used remains the same.

But it's human nature that if the fiscal rewards are increasing (especially if its in terms of fiat) then many miners are going to invest in more equipment (and new ones start up) to try to catch that increase, resulting in a new increase of power used, up till the point where it reaches equilibrium of where it's only modestly profitable after accounting for electricity and capital costs.
so really it would be a good thing if the money went down and less people were mining, it being hard to see how to justify using the power consumption of Norway in perpetuity in order to enable the function of a simple currency
Old 03-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #1035
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Demand for gold is driven by fear of inflation.
I meant why was he asking.

Not why has it increased in value.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #1036
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

If you are mining using Phoenix miner they are recommending stopping immediately... although it seems they were suspicious a month ago on NiceHash

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/s...er-immediately
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #1037
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

McAfee in the news again - indicted on fraud and money laundering charges by the DOJ for the old pump-and-dump.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/john...tter-1.5336608

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 03-07-2021 at 12:41 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #1038
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi All - I'm new to the crypto game but have just started dipping in the last couple of weeks. I'm wondering if anyone could provide any insight on wallets? Right now all of my coins reside in Binance - are they secure there, or do I need to buy a wallet (hardware wallet)? Any information or recommendations are much appreciated - thanks!
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 PM   #1039
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ethereum seems like the biggest bull on this bull cycle for me, I think its about to really take off
Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #1040
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368928265176571907

We are still early.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum