Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #1961
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Would you have traded Tkachuk for Dubois?
I don't think so, mainly because I don't think Dubois is that clear #1 that we need. The point I was making though was that other teams have executed a big deal, so to use "that it's difficult to trade right now" is just weak.

I'm of the belief there is no perfect trade here. We're not going to nail a Matt Duchene style return for Monahan, for example. One, Sakic is just a flat out better GM than Treliving is, and two - Monahan's value is likely plummeting because of how bad this team is with Geoff Ward as the head coach.

So, what are the options? I don't think there's some perfect trade out there. So do we just stand still, stay mediocre, stay in the middle? Or do we realize we aren't going to win every trade, and then show the damn patience to properly construct a roster for the first time in decades.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #1962
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He is an idiot though...you can't trade every NHLer on your team. Trading Lindholm is the hill he is gonna die on?
Yeah trade Lindholm, you may as well trade Markstrom etc.
Cowtownred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #1963
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownred View Post
I dont really like Nault either, but you have to agree, he has been spot on about the Flames for the last year or so? He has been the only guy saying the team are not very good, totally going against the other guys.
It’s not necessarily what he says it’s the simplistic smug way how he says it.

He epitomizes the quote:

Quote:
“Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.”
I’m not saying he needs to be a jackass or a skilled carpenter, but at least take some time to investigate the process better than Sylvia on Overtime.

After all, this is what he’s paid to do. It wouldn’t surprise me if the details of topics about the Flames disinterests him or interfere with his fantasy football research.

His position is constantly a patently easy take. Lots of fans have realized they’ve been a mentally weak team for years and need change.

However, it’s pretty easy to take the team that exists and make it worse only because you think it isn’t good enough and need change.

There’s complexity and randomization to the process of asset acquisition and team building that they all gloss over.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #1964
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don't think so, mainly because I don't think Dubois is that clear #1 that we need. The point I was making though was that other teams have executed a big deal, so to use "that it's difficult to trade right now" is just weak.

I'm of the belief there is no perfect trade here. We're not going to nail a Matt Duchene style return for Monahan, for example. One, Sakic is just a flat out better GM than Treliving is, and two - Monahan's value is likely plummeting because of how bad this team is with Geoff Ward as the head coach.

So, what are the options? I don't think there's some perfect trade out there. So do we just stand still, stay mediocre, stay in the middle? Or do we realize we aren't going to win every trade, and then show the damn patience to properly construct a roster for the first time in decades.
What's the rush for a bad trade now? Wait for the deadline or off season.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #1965
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What's the rush for a bad trade now? Wait for the deadline or off season.
Yup, I'd rather Treliving do nothing and let the new GM in the offseason try it.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #1966
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like he is just a fed up, frustrated fan of the Flames.
He did say about being 30 years old, and seeing the same organizational problems over that time.
Hey Will. Thanks for joining the convo. I thought media weren’t fans?
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #1967
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

The Winnipeg and CBJ deal was unique in that both teams had disgruntled players looking to move.
I don't get the pressure to make an in-season deal and doing so risks it being to save the season.
I certainly would be looking to see what the market is for Johnny, Monahan, etc, but not at the expense of not extracting appropriate value.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #1968
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like he is just a fed up, frustrated fan of the Flames.
He did say about being 30 years old, and seeing the same organizational problems over that time.
Be that as it may, I still don't think theres a place for raising voices and getting into full blow arguments on a professional radio station. He can have a different opinion and stand by it, no problem, but what I listened to today sounded like two friends having an argument after a night at the bar.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #1969
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd deem Jack Eichel appropriate value.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #1970
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any calm, calculated GM like some posters here will never see it as an ideal time to trade a top player/s. It takes a certain amount of risk and boldness to pull the trigger, and no matter what moving a big name will appear rash to a portion of the crowd. But the alternative of sitting back and putting it off to down the road when "the time is better" is the team and core goes stale like it has here.

Some people said it wasn't the right time after the underwhelming bubble exit, some people are saying the same now while the team is struggling. So when is it, when there is no definite end to COVID conditions that we can pin point yet, while these players run closer to the ends of their current contracts?

If you want meaningful change and a new direction sometimes you have to allow your knee to be jerked. Otherwise you run out of time and your trade chips walk away without any or minimal return for asset management.

The GM, like the reserved posters here have to realize that we need to get up off our rocker and move from contemplation to action if we want to see anything get done. Change isn't comfortable or totally safe and there's no way to make it be.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #1971
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

lmao, new segment on the Fan called "Who is the ###hole?" and they're debating Nault vs Steinberg from the other day
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #1972
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
lmao, new segment on the Fan called "Who is the ###hole?" and they're debating Nault vs Steinberg from the other day
Yeah Boomer s**t stirring. Love it
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #1973
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thankfully it evolved into a complete segment where they took on other people's issues but for a bit I was worried it was going to be a witch hunt which would have been funny, but ultimately pretty mean.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #1974
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Thankfully it evolved into a complete segment where they took on other people's issues but for a bit I was worried it was going to be a witch hunt which would have been funny, but ultimately pretty mean.
When boomer mentioned a thread on the internet, I immediately thought he was referring to this one!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowtownred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #1975
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
When boomer mentioned a thread on the internet, I immediately thought he was referring to this one!

There was an AITA thread on CP, I believe. Don’t recall where, probably OT forum. Maybe that’s what he was taking about
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #1976
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, I can sympathize that Nault is going through some personal stuff with the loss of a family member, but it does come across pretty uncomfortable to listen to when he's so combative with everyone. You can tell Steinberg tries to constantly calm him down out of consideration, but it gets to the point sometimes where I honestly just switch radio stations rather than listen to Nault get all mean and defensive. It's like he's looking for any excuse to lash out at the other person.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #1977
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nails makes some good points. But I don't think he works well for radio.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #1978
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The boys aren't pulling punches this morning.
Boomer just asked if "Bennett is the dumbest player in the NHL?"
Rhett labeled Backlund as "soooooooooffffftttt".
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #1979
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post

I'm not in Calgary but sounds like trash radio. There has to be a level of professionalism. Rhett comes across as a fratboy who never left his home town on these broadcasts. He's not informative and has an opinion over everything, which seems to always be an off-take. I don't understand why anyone would want him as one of the faces of your station, but whatever.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #1980
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
They aren’t too far off
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post: