Exp:

I turned the game off, nice line on Pearson though. Wow
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #3362
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe that'll give them a kick in the ass. Bichette laughing in the dugout every time the camera panned over didn't inspire much confidence that they're serious about winning though
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #3363
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

3 runs in 2 games won’t do.

Also clear Ryu was nursing some injury, which made the game one move make sense.

Oh well hopefully we sign another number 2 and we can go Pearson, Ryu, new guy at top of rotation next year.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #3364
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo saying there was nothing wrong with Ryu.

But he was throwing 85-88 today, vs 92-93 normally

Also, Montoyo's answer to every single question - the Rays are really good
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #3365
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great season but it seems like an abrupt finish after all the excitement last weekend. Hopefully the young core will learn from this and be more disciplined and hungry next year. I do think the team has a bright future.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #3366
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo saying Ryu was fine but the Rays had a really good approach against him.

You know what would have been nice, Charlie? The Jays having a good approach against the Rays pitchers.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #3367
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo seems like a great guy and as much as the Jays overachieved, I'm still not sold on him
Old 09-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #3368
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo all smiles on the presser. Would have thought he won it all. Wishing each reporter a “good offseason”. I don’t care for long faces just because but I’m not a fan of saying how great the other team is time and time again. Have some competitiveness and say they’re good but we want to beat them. He just felt so chummy in that presser.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #3369
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
3 runs in 2 games won’t do.

Also clear Ryu was nursing some injury, which made the game one move make sense.

Oh well hopefully we sign another number 2 and we can go Pearson, Ryu, new guy at top of rotation next year.
The only front end of the rotation starter they may have a chance to sign is James Paxton, even then he may not sign with the Jays after they cost him his final year of college eligibility, now that was a different management group mind you.

Between they way the Jays treated their starters this season, all the band boxes in the AL East, and convincing players to play in Canada, I can't see the Jays getting another big name starter unless they are willing to over pay again.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #3370
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
The only front end of the rotation starter they may have a chance to sign is James Paxton, even then he may not sign with the Jays after they cost him his final year of college eligibility, now that was a different management group mind you.

Between they way the Jays treated their starters this season, all the band boxes in the AL East, and convincing players to play in Canada, I can't see the Jays getting another big name starter unless they are willing to over pay again.
lol now that's gloomy

There really isn't much on the market for high end starting pitchers this off season anyways. Maybe the Jays will trade for a guy, or maybe they take the patient approach and keep building from within. They will have to score there way into the playoffs for a couple more years until the home grown starters catch up to the home grown position players but maybe that's just the way it'll have to be.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #3371
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a link to Nate's 1st inning where he struck out the side with 8 swing and miss strikes. Absolutely filthy, and lends me to believe that he may not have been 100% earlier this year when he first came up.

https://streamable.com/241q24
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #3372
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Montoyo all smiles on the presser. Would have thought he won it all. Wishing each reporter a “good offseason”. I don’t care for long faces just because but I’m not a fan of saying how great the other team is time and time again. Have some competitiveness and say they’re good but we want to beat them. He just felt so chummy in that presser.
One thing that I really hope doesn't come out of making the playoffs this season is management extending him after his contract is done. He might be a nice guy but he's not the guy to take them to the next level.

You don't want an ####### as a manager who the players hate but you don't want someone who gives off the impression that losing is acceptable either. And then there's all the terrible decisions he's made.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #3373
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jays likely always have to overpay so it doesn’t really matter. More likely correct that it’s not really a deep pitching market so they’ll probably have to settle for a 3. Hopefully some of the young guys can start pushing up.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #3374
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always sucks losing, but in the big picture this team won 67 games last year and had a 0.414 win %.

This year they jumped to a 0.533 win %. Over a full season that'd be roughly an 86-76 to an 87-75 record. Pretty nice big jump forward in the rebuild.

Teo looks like he might have figured it out
Tellez might actually be something
Vlad actually came on pretty good at the end
Got a look at Kirk and he looked good
Gurriel looks to be for real
Bo looks like a star in the making
Biggio certainly held his own as well

Lots of pitchers came out of the wood work this season too, mostly throwing high 90's heat with plus secondaries or even more in some cases.

If a couple of starters come out of the rubble for next year this team will easily compete for the playoffs again because there will be plenty left over for what should be a very high end bullpen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #3375
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
One thing that I really hope doesn't come out of making the playoffs this season is management extending him after his contract is done. He might be a nice guy but he's not the guy to take them to the next level.

You don't want an ####### as a manager who the players hate but you don't want someone who gives off the impression that losing is acceptable either. And then there's all the terrible decisions he's made.
Yeah. I have no doubt the guy is a good human. And maybe you need that for young potential stars and working with them. But they’re also athletes where they have to be taught consequences early on and I haven’t seen that. Perhaps it’s done behind closed doors but generally I don’t see it. Baseball is probably the easiest sport to coach once it’s game time. Charlie seems to make some puzzling decisions too often. I can maybe handle one more season of him. But he’s going to make some more obvious choices with his pitching.

As for getting a big name starter this off season, I still want to see more from the guys for one more season before getting a big guy. Too early to get too excited.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #3376
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Between they way the Jays treated their starters this season
Woul djust like to point out that the Jays were able to "treat" their starters that way because they had like a 16 man pitching staff this year. Next year if the season goes back to normal, there will be a 13 man limit for the staff and they'd have to let starters go longer.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #3377
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Here is a link to Nate's 1st inning where he struck out the side with 8 swing and miss strikes. Absolutely filthy, and lends me to believe that he may not have been 100% earlier this year when he first came up.

no one even came close to making contact, that was pretty impressive.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #3378
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

WHen he first came up he was starting an starters don't throw with 100% velocity because doing that for too long will just kill your arm. So when a guy moves to the pen, it's not at all unusual for them to add 2-3mph
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #3379
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
WHen he first came up he was starting an starters don't throw with 100% velocity because doing that for too long will just kill your arm. So when a guy moves to the pen, it's not at all unusual for them to add 2-3mph
I know that. I was talking more about the control issues he was having earlier in the year. Last night he was all over the zone early in counts which is more in line with how Pearson normally performs.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #3380
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya I am really not disappointed with this result at all. The Rays are a much better team and much further along in their competitive window relative to the Jays. I had no illusions regarding the Jays chances in a 3 game series. They still have a ton of work to be a WS contender, but I am very optimistic about this teams future. Sucked to see Bo make a pretty crucial error but Ryu just didn't have it yesterday unfortunately; Montoyo can say all he wants about not being injured but it's pretty obvious Ryu wasn't 100%.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote