Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Advice from Whiskey drinkers?

Hi all, looking for some advice? Christmas is coming!

Trying to buy some good whiskey for two friends of mine. I am a beer drinker. As such I have no idea about whiskey. I don’t have a taste for whiskey. Yet my buddies love their whiskey.

I am not looking at spending $200 a bottle or $25, just a good whiskey at around $50 to $100 a bottle. Which happens to be the same amount I have in credit at a liquor store in Calgary. Beer credits earned! I drink too much lol! I am a Flames fan, it happens!

What are some good brands you guys can tell me about in that price range? Guys are not looking to get hammered, they just want to enjoy an evening drink. A quality one!

I would appreciate all input!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=62218

I'll throw you over here to get you started. If you have a couple that you have an eye on, myself or others can give you a thumbs up or thumbs down.

If you've tried a couple that you have liked, that would go a long way in figuring out the direction that you should head. A lot of flavor profiles in whiskey.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Er... what kind? The fact that you've decided to spell it with an "E" would suggest Irish is what you're after, but the fact that you have no knowledge about it suggests that maybe that detail is lost on you.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upper end Bowmore 15 year sherry cask darkest, while it is an Isley it isn't harsh and has a brandy ish vibe
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Upper end Bowmore 15 year sherry cask darkest, while it is an Isley it isn't harsh and has a brandy ish vibe
I love Bowmore, but that's probably one of my less preferred ones.

I'd check what is on sale at your store, and post it here. Often you can step up a grade or 2 by grabbing it on sale. Stuff in that price range sometimes is $20 off.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re not looking for scotch Basil Hayden and Blanton’s are excellent bourbons in that price range.

Otherwise Lagavulin or Springbank are good choices
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I love Bowmore, but that's probably one of my less preferred ones.

I'd check what is on sale at your store, and post it here. Often you can step up a grade or 2 by grabbing it on sale. Stuff in that price range sometimes is $20 off.
Its their least Isley'ish but for my non scotch drinking friends it always goes down well where as a laiphroag freaks them out
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glenrothes 12 is my favourite.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Not knowing what's available at the store where you have the credit:

• Nikka from the Barrel - classy small medicine bottle, with a great whisky that can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks or even in a classic Highball
  • Tamdhu - anything. Seriously underrated, get one before it goes popular (this is what I'm gifting everyone this year, the cask strength is a steal)
  • Glen Scotia double cask - just good, and available. It's a bit briny so it feels like you're drinking a scotch, if that makes sense (no peat)
  • Bourbon: if you can get a Blanton's or Rock hill farms for under 100 (sometimes at Willow park), do it all day, if not a Michters US *1 American is damn fine too. Can't go wrong with Four Roses single barrel
  • EH Taylor is great, but it's overpriced in Canada. That's a $30 bourbon in the states, and amazing down there at that price.
  • I love all things Springbank, but it takes a bit to get used to, not everyone gets it. (plus KWM has the Springbank Society and the really good stuff...so yeah)

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 11-26-2019 at 09:29 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guys this is all great stuff!

I am a beer drinker. I have a $150 credit at a liquor store willing to add to the pot for a couple of bottles of good whiskey for my buddies.

I need more input!

Thanks all for those that have replied! I appreciate it!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:45 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If bourbon is the choice, I have started drinking whistle pig lately. It’s pricey, so not something for everyday. But I believe you can get a 10 year aged Rye for under $100 US. Maybe not available everywhere though.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotch has varying flavor profiles based on the region, and particular approach of the distillery. Here are a few of my favorites:

Oban
Lagavulin
MacAllan
Ardberg
Balvenie
Dalmore
Bunnhabhain
Talisker

Bourbons are a little more uniform, but there are definitely varying levels of quality. My favorites are Michter's and Woodford Reserve. Always consistently tasty. Whistle Pig is good too, but I find it's overpriced as a bourbon.

Ryes are undervalued IMO. My favorites are Angel's Envy and Whistle Pig.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 11-27-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #13
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you should find out first what kind of whisky they're after. Most people here have been recommending scotch. While I personally like scotch, I'd also be pretty happy with a nice bourbon and it'll generally run you much less.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #14
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Scotch has varying flavor profiles based on the region, and particular approach of the distillery. Here are a few of my favorites:

Oban
Lagavulin
MacAllan
Ardberg
Balvenie
Dalmore
Bunnhabhain
Talisker

Bourbons are a little more uniform, but there are definitely varying levels of quality. My favorites are Michter's and Woodford Reserve. Always consistently tasty. Whistle Pig is good too, but I find it's overpriced as a bourbon.

Ryes are undervalued IMO. My favorites are Angel's Envy and Whistle Pig.

Dalmore 15 year is my go to scotch. Their 12 year is really good too and can be had for $80-90 a bottle. I am a big fan of Oban and Belvine (their 14 yr Caribbean cask is quite nice). Angels Envy rye is unreal. Is there anywhere in Calgary you can find that? I brought back a couple of bottles when I was working down in the States but haven't found it here.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Dalmore 15 year is my go to scotch. Their 12 year is really good too and can be had for $80-90 a bottle. I am a big fan of Oban and Belvine (their 14 yr Caribbean cask is quite nice). Angels Envy rye is unreal. Is there anywhere in Calgary you can find that? I brought back a couple of bottles when I was working down in the States but haven't found it here.
Shoot...honestly, I have no idea. I just assumed it would be available. It's commonly found in better liquor stores anywhere I go in the States, so I assumed it was found in Canada as well.

My apologies for getting your hopes up!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
If you ever have trouble finding something in Calgary, call Willow Park Liquor Store.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Shoot...honestly, I have no idea. I just assumed it would be available. It's commonly found in better liquor stores anywhere I go in the States, so I assumed it was found in Canada as well.

My apologies for getting your hopes up!
According to Liquor Connect, it's not, unless it is under a different name.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moderation is key.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As others have pointed out, "whiskey" can include so many different types. Some of my current favorites are...

Scotch: Glenfarclas 12 yo
Burbon: Basil Haydens, Russell's 10 yo
Rye: Pendelton 1910

Crowfoot Liquor has a large selection of all things whiskey, many of which you can sample in store.

Last edited by Insufficient Funds; 11-29-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #20
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with some of the sentiments here, in that if you want great bang for your buck, go with a bourbon. At $100 you get into some really nice stuff. But that's only if you like the sweeter side of whiskey. If you want peat or heavier smoke, your going to have to delve into Scotch a bit.

I found that buying rye for people can be a bit of a landmine. True rye has bite and a distinctive taste, but people associate the word with Crown and are shocked by the difference. Regular Crown hasn't been a rye for a long while.