Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #21
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished Season 1 on the plane home the other day.

I've GOT to find the first few episodes of season 2 (shouldn't be too difficult).

Cow - is torrent the issue, or is it your linespeed (or both)? I'm wondering if a private FTP might bypass your issue?

As an aside, is anyone looking forward to the Firefly followup movie "Serenity" as much as I am?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #22
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson+Aug 19 2005, 10:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowperson @ Aug 19 2005, 10:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wookie@Aug 19 2005, 04:07 AM
Weird,

my brother dropped of the mini series about 2 months ago, didn't think much of it and let it sit in my CD wallet.

Was bored, watched episodes 1 - 9 of the 4400 in a night and still wanted more, so I popped in this mini series. I thought it was adromedra or something else, had never heard of it, remembered this thread and thought hey, I'll give it a try. Wow what a mistake, sooo good!! I finished the mini-series and went straight to my favorite torrent site and have since caught up to #5 season 2. So many wasted but enjoyed hours

Great Show,

#
Unfortunately, it appears I can't do the bit torrent thing at the office or at home (way too slow on the rural phone lines) so I'm hooped.

UK and Australia are also waiting into 2006 to see season two as well with a lot of

And model 6 is sooo hot!!!

Model 6 is actually a farm girl from Donalda, Alberta believe it or not. . . . .

Cowperson [/b][/quote]
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...770&catid=10561

Buy a DVD player that plays divx What is DivX??, and just find a freind who can use bittorrent to send you the shows. I mail to my mother in Toronto 24, lost, the 4400 and soon will be sending Battlestar, she jsut puts the disc in and watches whatever I send her

Then you just push in the DVD with the videos on it and they play, in nice quality, on your TV..

No commercials

Wow, an Alberta girl? So maybe I've got a shot then?

Got season 1 of house Md.. it looks good too
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #23
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobblehead@Aug 19 2005, 12:20 PM
I just finished Season 1 on the plane home the other day.

I've GOT to find the first few episodes of season 2 (shouldn't be too difficult).

Cow - is torrent the issue, or is it your linespeed (or both)? I'm wondering if a private FTP might bypass your issue?

As an aside, is anyone looking forward to the Firefly followup movie "Serenity" as much as I am?
Yes, I can't wait for Serentiy! I have been working hard to stay away from trailers, simply because I want EVERYTHING to be a suprise.

BSG is the best show on TV right now - sci fi or otherwise IMO. I just can't get enough. I am fortunate enough to live in Tex, so I am watching season 2. Of course the downside is that you have to live in Texas - so do not envy me!

As far as the mini-series goes, I was hooked as soon as I saw it. I highly recommend watching a second time with the directors commentary on. They have 3 guys - Producer, director, and art director I think - it is really well done.

Just as an example the guy sitting in the diplomatic station at the very beginning was supposed to be a series of officers gradually getting older to show time had passed. The version in the miniseries only shows the LAST of the officers - which is why he has makeup making him look a little aged.

Yes, number 6 is an Alberta girl. Just like Eliza Cuthbert from 24! We got all the hotties! Also - you know she is a Cylon because she's Canadian. If Eliza ever shows up on BSG you know what it means...

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #24
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Bit torrent is out of the question at my high speed office and also impractical at my slower than slow rural dial-up at home. I've thought of maybe looking at StarChoice's internet on my satellite so maybe that happens. We'll see.

I'll also see what my DVD player/recorder at home is capable of and maybe look at Wookie's suggestion.

The other problem is that I'm nowhere near being a techno-nerd.

I'll probably end up waiting through to January 2006 with foot tapping.

Model 6 profile under characters at Battlestar's sci-fi site - she's from the Stettler area:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Cowperson
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #25
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
I'll also see what my DVD player/recorder at home is capable of and maybe look at Wookie's suggestion.

The other problem is that I'm nowhere near being a techno-nerd.
Yeah that's the benefit of that DVD player, if you have a nice good one already that doesn't play DivX files then why spend a lot on a new one, hence the cheapest model listed. As well re: techno-nerd with the DVD player you don't need to be, just pop it in. That's why I got it for my mom, she could have always watched them on her PC but it ruins the show to have to sit at a desk and a small monitor, or watch it by yourself. As well then you need to make sure you have the proper codec installed to play it on your PC.

Definitely look up the formats your present DVD player can play..
Old 08-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #26
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Wow, episode 6 was grreat
Old 08-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #27
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those wanting to catch up on season 1 and aren't willing to wait/pay for the DVDs (or BitTorrent them ), I found this convenient site: Television Without Pity.

It provides detailed, and often humorous, episode recaps.

Edit: Might be minor episode spoilers on linked page.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #28
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie@Aug 22 2005, 12:09 AM
Wow, episode 6 was grreat
bas**rd!!! :angry:

I checked last night and Dvix is persona non grata on my DVD machine so January it is for me!!

Cowperson
Old 08-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #29
Flashpoint

Exp:

Well, at least the 1st season comes out on DVD next month (Sept 20th). If you watch 1 episode every 10 days or so, it should almost get you to January! What with all the extras and such, I think it's purchase is a certainty for me.

I must confess, the past 2 episodes haven't done as much for me as previous ones in the series. Not that I can talk about it yet - I am no spoiler. Don't get me wrong, they are still really good, just not mind blowing for me.

DAMN January 2006 Canadian release date.

-Bax
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #30
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 22 2005, 06:31 AM
I checked last night and Dvix is persona non grata on my DVD machine so January it is for me!!
Cow, if you're willing to get someone to send you the DivX copies, is there some reason you can't just watch them on your computer?

DivX is a free download so you shoud have no problems if you choose that route.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #31
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F+Aug 22 2005, 03:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike F @ Aug 22 2005, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Aug 22 2005, 06:31 AM
Cow, if you're willing to get someone to send you the DivX copies, is there some reason you can't just watch them on your computer?

DivX is a free download so you shoud have no problems if you choose that route. [/b][/quote]
I guess I could go that route.

Now if only I had friends.

Cowperson
Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #32
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

BSG is by far one of the top 3 Sci Fi shows around.

I cant believe I have to wait that long for it to air on space. Thank the lords of CP I have access to 1.2 TB of storage and Bit Torrent.

See, this is what companies dont see, while I download the episodes I will most definately buy it when it comes out on DVD and watch the reruns on space. If the product is good, pirating is a non issue.

Another really good Sci Fi show is a show called 4400. It airs on USA so BT is the only method of transportation for us in Canada. Again its shot in Vancouver - reminds me a bit like X Files onlf the femininas are hotter.

MYK
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #33
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Just sharing a momentary diversion . . . . . I don't think there are any spoilers for those who haven't seen season 2 - including me so far - in the links below.

Lucy Lawless of Xena fame will be on board in Season 2.

An interview with Lawless about the role:

http://www.lucylawless.info/articles...tcom220805.htm

And some official photo's showing her character:

http://www.lucylawless.info/battlestar-gal...1&spgmFilters=t

Cowperson
Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #34
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie@Aug 18 2005, 09:07 PM

Great Show,

And model 6 is sooo hot!!!
Well, look at the cookie I found for the Wookie . . . . anyone see any beautiful Cylons trooping around Banff this summer? I can't believe my brother didn't phone this in from the Icefields.

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish....icles&s=leisure

An addendum: This link has other Galactica story links at the bottom as well:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/649/649729p1.html

An interesting article here . . . a mild spoiler in this one near the end if you haven't seen any of season 2:

http://www.syfyportal.com/features.php?id=149

Cowperson
Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #35
GrinderMac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Awesone series. I have to rate it as probably my favorite at this time. Great acting, plots, and special effects. I have seen some of the new episodes for this season and they are up to their usual high standards.
GrinderMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #36
Flashpoint

Exp:

No spoilers in this post (although it is about a season 2 episode).

Just caught the season 2 episode with Lawless in it last night (borrowed the DVD burn from a friend). I actually didn't recognize her at first - had to wait for the opening credits. She did a really nice job. There was a nice throwback to the original series as well so something to look forward to if you watched it all those years ago.

-Bax
Old 09-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #37
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Recently, I took my husband (Los Angeles entertainment lawyer Jonathan Marshall, who is from New Orleans) and his parents to Jasper to show them the Icefields. He loves Alberta!

What makes Alberta special when I travel the world?

My husband and I are building a vacation house in Alberta on a bluff overlooking the coulee right by my parents' farm. This summer, we'll rent an RV and park it on the bluff, though we probably won't break ground for two years.
Hmmm, a little to much husband talk in the article
Old 09-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #38
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Hmmm . . . . a pretty funny update.

Universal is going to release the first ten episodes of season 2 on DVD in time for Christmas . . . . and BEFORE those episodes air in Canada, Australia and the UK in January. It looks like a tactic to take advantage of the delayed schedule in foreign markets.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4203

Cowperson
Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #39
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the first 10 episodes...

I was really on the fence with this show through the first 9 episodes of season 2, but episode 10 was really, really good, and the mini-cliff hanger at the end has me looking forward to the post-Christmas resumption (don't worry -- no spoilers from me ).

Of course the best part of the show is the emerging storyline of a spunky young pilot who takes delight in getting under Starbuck's skin.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #40
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

FYI: Battlestar Galactica named one of the 10 Best Television shows of 2005 by the American Film Institute.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/...eut/index.html

Cowperson