Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Man of Steel Thread

Just came back from Man of Steel. I figure other movies have threads, why not this one?

First impressions? Really good movie. Really, really good. Is it a masterpiece? is it a 10\10? No. But I don't think it had to be.

This is mainly going to be random thoughts. I'll try to add spoilery stuff in tags, but my version of spoilery may be different than others.

I understand the mixed reviews, but I think they have more to do with hype and expectations. I haven't read many of the reviews, but what I don't understand is the common criticisms. Almost every critic complained about the never ending final act. I couldn't disagree more, I thought it was perfect. The fight with Zod got a little ridiculous at times, but it was still entertaining as hell.

If someone were to ask if Henry Cavill is about to be a huge star, my answer is maybe. Its kind of hard to explain, the way the movie is shot does not lend itself to superstar acting performances. What I will say is that he is perfect as Superman\Kal El. Light years ahead of Routh. He conveys everything that he needs to.

I don't know what the complaints are about Lois Lane. I thought that was the pleasant surprise of the movie. Amy Adams was great as Lois, and her role was excellent, maybe the best written role of the movie, the critics who say they missed the classic Clark Kent\Superman\Lois Lane stuff, needs to get their heads out of their asses, it was exactly what it needed to be.

Shannon as Zod was excellent as well. Probably the best actor in the movie, but like I said, the way the movie is shot it doesn't really lend itself to that. He is great in what he gets to do.

Russel Crowe was also a pleasant surprise as Jor El as well. Also a well written role.

The story was not groundbreaking, it didn't have to be and it wasn't supposed to be. It served its purpose and served it well.

The angst\heart of the film I thought was quite well done and it's something we havent really seen before from the character.

Apologies if this is spoilery, but to me the last 5 mins of the film perfectly sums up exactly what this film was supposed to do.

In scale and epicness this is a polar opposite from Batman Begins, but in everything else it is exactly Batman Begins. This is a reboot\origin 100% it just had that fell to it. We haven't seen that before, aside from a low budget television series, this part of the character hasn't really been explored before. Those people missing the charm and "lightness" of the donner films can go pound sand, they are looking in the wrong place. But I do believe that part of the character is coming, and there is tidbits in this film.

My general criticism is of the pacing of the movie. It jumps around a lot, it kind of slows down when you don't want it to and when you want it to slow down it picks it up. I think it needed some longer one shot, one angle scenes with dialogue to let the actors act. It just kept jumping and jumping, moving and moving. Second criticism is the lack of the Kents. I think the script's intent was to convey the importance of both the Kents and Jor El in who Clark would one day become, but it seems like they skimmed the Kents a bit. I could have done with less deadliest catch\Busboy and a bit more of the Kents. But that could be a result of my next point.

This is just a wild guess based on a shoddy memory, but I think the way they shot the "Earth Origin" may have something to do with the lawsuit between the Seigals and Shusters and DC comics\WB. I think DC may have lost the rights to certain parts of the origin story. I could be wrong though. I found it to be an interesting creative choice anyways.

I think I'll give it a solid 8.5\10. Not without its faults and some filming annoyances don't really detract from a very well thought out reboot. This is a fresh new take on Superman, but not too completely different.

This is probably ridiculous to say, but I don't think you can really judge just what they have done with the character until Man of Steel 2 comes out. I think the next one will define this generation of big screen Superman much like TDK defines Batman.

Random Spoiler thoughts:

Spoiler!

Last edited by sa226; 06-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

I thought it was a good movie, there are obviously some plot holes but tell me a movie that doesn't have a plot hole, it had a lot to cover in what was a long movie. For the first time for a 2.5 hour movie I actually didn't think it was too long of a movie for the content.

The fight scenes were really well done, great to watch. For the pacing, I'm the type of guy who actually likes flashbacks for the most part, I don't think I would of got the same affect if they did the flashbacks in a linear fashion and then just jumped to the scenes that triggered the flashback, I found them to be good tie-ins to the flashback.

Spoiler!

I really liked it, I agree with the 8-9/10 score on the movie, not perfect.. but it's exactly what I was looking for.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really disappointed. Had high expectations so that played a part, but I just left thinking "meh."

The emotional scenes, the scenes that were supposed to show a new kind of Superman movie didn't do anything for me. It felt forced and riddled with cliche dialogue. The performances also didn't help and that's on Snyder. He got very little out of Cavill and Amy Adam's talent was wasted. Even Michael Shannon who I like a lot, was real hit or miss.

Visually awesome, but I'm tired of reviewing a movie and only having great visuals to hold it up with.

A generous 6/10.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Guest1

Haven't seen the movie, but I went to school with the girl that has a cameo as the singer in the "cabaret"

Cool story sistah...
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't really think spoiler tags are needed now, since the movie is out. I purposely didn't talk any specifics in the general movie thread for that reason.

If you haven't seen it and come looking into this thread, really it's your own fault at this point.

I gave this movie a generous 6.5/10. I find my ranking are usually very close to Vanflamesfan, so I don't feel like a jerk for giving it that.

I hate how they handled his powers in this movie. They purposely go out and explain how his powers work, to give you a framework. As a baby he had a hard time breathing. He couldn't breath properly on the Kryptonian ship. But he can fly around and fight in space, no problem. It was things like that that bugged me through the movie.

They could have done some amazing never before done stuff with the fight scenes. But they were overdone, way too long, and the same thing over and over. Punch through building, repeat 10 times. End fight scene. The ending with the negative zone hole that took out all the Kryptonian's also felt pretty cheap and anti-climatic.

The camera work was problematic at times as well. Doing the running shake camera with 3D certainly doesn't add very much to the film. And they were really copying the Star Trek feel of having a wide shot, doing a quick zoom in, and then wobbling the camera a little bit. This movie really didn't need to be in 3D, and it feels like it was more of a money grab than anything. I wish Christopher Nolan took a stand on this like he did with the Batman trilogy.

Man of Steel producer Deborah Snyder stated that that the reason for not including the post credits scene is that the movie's makers felt that the short clips are just commercials that detract from the actual film. They certainly didn't have an issue selling every available ad spot in the film. What a bunch of hypocrites. All they were missing was Superman flying around wearing Ray Ban's and sipping a Coke. They had 98 corporate sponsors at the end of the day.

That's my rant for now...

2 more things:

I understood at the end that they were trying to make heros out of regular humans as well, as show that Superman wasn't the only hero. But with the whole Daily Planet drama of trying to rescue the intern, they barely showed Perry White or any of the other staffers other than Lois. I truely couldn't have cared if they lived or died at the end, there was no connection to those characters, they felt like throw ins.

And it was my understanding that Superman was so strong because he'd been soaking up our suns radiation for 30+ years. So how do other Kryptonians show up and after 1 day they are stronger than him?

/rant

Last edited by mac_82; 06-14-2013 at 03:25 PM.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I loved it, 9/10. Amy Adams is really good in this. Applause at the end from the audience.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Spoiler tags are needed until we see the word spoiler in the thread title.

I thought it was great, 9.5/10. I was very impressed with every aspect of the film. Couple cheesey parts but hey, Superman is kind of a cheese ball.

Spoiler!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
I loved it, 9/10. Amy Adams is really good in this. Applause at the end from the audience.
No problem with her acting but I wish they dyed her hair or something , she looks too much like a Lana Lang to me , so I had trouble seeing her as a Lois.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just got back from seeing it, and I'd give it about a 6. It felt more like a highlights package than an actual story. Here's Superman on Deadliest Catch, here he is as a busboy, here he is as a kid for 30 seconds, it just felt so disjointed. And holy Michael Bay Batman, explosions everywhere! I like big action sequences as much as the next guy, but by the end I was completely desensitized to buildings falling over and Superman smashing through stuff. It had a lot of potential, Michael Shannon as Zod was great and I like Henry Cavill, but Zack Snyder just has no clue how to tell a proper story
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The last 45 minutes of the movie was a huge dissapointment. All the action and things getting blown up went on too long. You don't need 45 minutes to do an ending for the movie. It took away from the first hour of the movie that was great. I'd give it 2 thumbs down.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was good. It was a bit on the lengthy side, but overall for what the movie is, I guess that's to be expected. Satisfied since it's better than Superman Returns.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The last 45 minutes of the movie was a huge dissapointment. All the action and things getting blown up went on too long. You don't need 45 minutes to do an ending for the movie. It took away from the first hour of the movie that was great. I'd give it 2 thumbs down.
This!!!

I did not like this movie, and I feel like I wasted $47......pretty soon these movies wil morph into 10 minutes of lead in/ background and then the ending scene will be two hours.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Warner Bros is marketing the movie to pastors on the similarities to the story of Christ:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...you/?hpt=hp_t1
Quote:
“There was an actual push to say `We’re putting out something that speaks to your group,' ” said Scott, one of the pastors of Shiloh Christian Community Church in Baltimore.
At first, Scott said, he didn’t buy the religious pitch. Then he decided to attend a free midweek screening in Baltimore.
“When I sat and listened to the movie I actually saw it was the story of Christ, and the love of God was weaved into the story," said the pastor.
"It was something I was very excited about that with the consultation of our senior pastor, we could use in our congregation.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^^^^
Oh great.....so much for this thread.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Warner Bros is marketing the movie to pastors on the similarities to the story of Christ:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...you/?hpt=hp_t1
This will not end well......
Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Saw it. Very good movie. My problems though:

Spoiler!

And a few other things i can't think of right now. Henry Cavill was good as Superman. He certainly looked the part. Looking forward to what the plan to do next.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
This!!!

I did not like this movie, and I feel like I wasted $47......pretty soon these movies wil morph into 10 minutes of lead in/ background and then the ending scene will be two hours.
With many being made in 3D alot of the production money is spent on trying to wow the audiences with all the special effects that are built into the action scenes. A good storyline and development of the characters is being pushed aside. I saw much the same thing in the latest Star Trek movie and it's not a trend I like.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zod and his gang did not have the same amount of powers that Superman did, since they were only on Earth for a short while and had only been absorbing the suns energy for a matter of hours. So Superman was more powerful, and obviously as the movie showed he was able to fully control his powers. Zod began finding about some of his powers during the battle, and was always at a disadvantage. He was willing to kill though, so that's the only thing he held over Superman... until the end obviously.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
With many being made in 3D alot of the production money is spent on trying to wow the audiences with all the special effects that are built into the action scenes. A good storyline and development of the characters is being pushed aside. I saw much the same thing in the latest Star Trek movie and it's not a trend I like.

While I agree, and get it, I felt with MOS that the action ws too frenetic that the camera angles moved so much and so quickly it was hard to appreciate the CGI.

Also hated how the regular scenes seemed like they were shot by the same guys that filmed Blair witch project.......
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Saw it last night, and came out thinking it was a solid 2 Mehs, or 5.5/10 on the more conventional scale.

My issues mirror some of the other thoughts here. Fight scenes went on way too long (OK, I got the point after the first 9 buildings you threw him through), characters were one-dimensional and the story was weak. Amy Adams just didn't fit as Lois Lane, and Michael Shannon's talent was wasted. And not to channel my Dad, but that was the loudest movie I've ever heard.

I think part of my personal issues with the movie were simply that my expectations were too high. With Christopher Nolan's name attached, comparisons to the Batman trilogy are inevitable, and Man of Steel pales in comparison. And compared to Avengers last summer, not even close.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote