Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default For fun, rate your slashers

I thought it would be fun leading up to Halloween to rate your favorite movie slashers or serial killers.

I have three rules

1) The slashers have to be human
2) There has to be a mass body count in each movie
3) Things like home invasion or crime killers don't count, these slashers are driven by mysterious reasons, or revenge, or a curse or whatever.

Ok Here's mine

1) Michael Myers - Lets be honest about it, that first movie in 1978 was perfect, and Michael Myers was creepy. We know he was human we saw him as a young boy. His reasons for the killing in the first and second movie were really unknown. He was known by the great name, The Shape. Silent, remorseless, and we had that one moment when he was unmasked and again all too human. Unfortunately they almost went out of their way to ruin him in later movies with Celtic curses and tried to find a way to make us understand why he was killing.

Favorite kill - They were all good but simple. But I have to go with his first kill which we saw from behind a childs clown mask, and then his attempt to flee.

2) Jason Vorhees - Its amazing to think that in that whole first movie Jason wasn't the killer, but his deranged mother obsessed with revenge against horny camp counselors. Jason was a simpleton, he had simple tastes and he was that unstoppable remorseless killing machine. Everything from the back ground music to his extremely creative methods of killing made him one of the greatest slashers of all time. Again as they went on they basically did their best to ruin him as they went for more blood and gore, and even frankly that he was an intergalactic earth worm.

Favorite Kill - The sleeping bag kill, where he trapped a girl in a sleeping bag and then beat her to a pulp by swinging her into anything around him.

3) Leatherface Sawyer - Its funny because the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a masterpiece of slasher movies. Its sequels and reboots couldn't compare. The opening of the movie and the last site of Leatherface doing the chainsaw dance bookended an excellent movie. Leatherface was a simple minded man child who was doing what his family told him to do, which is um put food on the table. But the addition of the human mask to hide his disfigurements upped the creep factor. I believe that Leatherface is the least evil of the slashers, as he acts out of fear and obedience to his family.

Favorite Kill - Hanging his victim on meathooks in the basement until he has time to prepare them.

4) Hannibal Lector - The thinking man's serial killer. This was the first real exposure to a true psychopath, and Anthony Hopkins portrayed it so well. Hannibal was ruthless and manipulative and we didn't understand what he was until he killed the guards in his cell to classical music before making his escape.

Favorite Kill - When he's killing the prison guards with no expression on his face, it was incredibly creepy.

5) Chucky - This could have been higher, the concept of an evil doll is right up there with evil clowns for me. But what bought it down was he became so watered down in the end as they kept trying to make him more of a wise cracker. But in that first movie when you heard those little feet scurrying in the shadows your heart lept into your chest.

Favorite Kill - One that he didn't kill, but his reputation made a Teenager run into the path of a speeding semi truck.

6) Freddy Krueger - Unbelievable debut, as a vengeful spirit out to kill teenagers. The first movie was above creepy, and Freddy was an interesting character because in that first movie you wondered if he was a little bit justified. Unfortunately after that first movie to me it was downhill for Fredddy, as they made him less dimensional and more of a wise cracker with over the top theatrics.

Favorite Kill - Sucking Johnny Depp into a bed was pretty cool.

7) Billy Chapman - I loved Silent Night, Deadly Night, mainly because it took place at Christmas and the Killer was wearing a Santa Suit. You can really feel sorry for Billy, he witnessed his parents murdered by a criminal wearing a Santa Outfit, is abused by a Nun who tells him that punishment is good. He tries to have a normal life but snaps at the company christmas party. In Billy's mind he was doing good and punishing the naughty.

Favorite Kill - Impales one of his victims on deer antlers.

8) Ghostface - From the Scream Franchise. Its great because its a different killer each time with different reasons, and that's what makes it work. There was a joy to Ghostface kills and in this list he and Chucky and Freddy are really the only ones that kill for the joy of killing.

Favorite Kill - So many but its weird but the two people playing Ghostface in the first movie literally killing each other to create an alibi

9) Death - From the Final Destination movie. There was no masked killer, it was just the natural order of things killing people. Invisible, without emotion or possible remorse.

Favorite Kill - Any open scene from the race track to the bridge to the Ferris Wheel Kills.

10) Norman Bates - Incredibly damaged, and insane. He kept his momma in the attic and killed for her. He was the original slasher, but his movies would be tame by today's standards

Favorite Kill - The shower scene was so incredibly artful.

HM - Candyman, Bateman from American Psycho, Lt Frank Drebin,

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always loved Pinhead from Hellraiser

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The king of slashers has to be Michael Myers. Just when you think he's dead....

Last edited by Dion; 10-25-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Myers had the incredible theme music, which helps put him at #1. I mean where would the Hulkster be without Real American.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd say that his theme isn't only iconic in horror movies, but overall in movies

This sounds like a future list by the way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought it would be fun leading up to Halloween to rate your favorite movie slashers or serial killers.

I have three rules

1) The slashers have to be human

5) Chucky - This could have been higher, the concept of an evil doll is right up there with evil clowns for me.

6) Freddy Krueger - Unbelievable debut, as a vengeful spirit out to kill teenagers.

9) Death - From the Final Destination movie. There was no masked killer, it was just the natural order of things killing people. Invisible, without emotion or possible remorse.
Congratulations, you played yourself.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah you're right a moronic moment by me.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where does Jigsaw rate ?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #10
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default For fun, rate your slashers

Okay, not human... but I vote for Xenomorph from Alien. Chest-burst for the win.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Where does Jigsaw rate ?

He was tough for me to rate, and he's one that I bounced back and forth. But what made it tough was the whole master apprentice thing where others were killing and setting traps in his name.

I would say that he was a great influencer.

Now Amanda was a pure slasher.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot the greatest which has a marathon on AMC right now !

I’m the Leprechaun!!!!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #13
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Michael Myers had the incredible theme music, which helps put him at #1. I mean where would the Hulkster be without Real American.
John Carpenter composed his own music and they were incredibly influential in the UK on bands like Human League and Depeche Mode, my personal favorite

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 10-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #14
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

You had me at Leatherface. The only movie on this list that I watched multiple times.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:28 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I’m the Leprechaun!!!!

Yup, when you can't sleep nothing beats Leprechaun back 2 the hood.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m the Leprechaun!!!!
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I mean where would the Hulkster be without Real American.
Back to his original piano medley probably angry at Legion of Doom for not passing up on the Rick Derringer classic of whom ‘Real American’ was originally intended for if I remember correct. I have no idea why I know this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_6pnBs1N2c
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post: