Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #921
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also wonder if Anaheim was one of the teams that was calling Tre on Bennett. If I remember correctly, it was also Friedman that noted that they were gushing over how much he impressed them in the playoffs.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #922
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bennett is in a bit of a weird spot. Im not worried about him, there's too much talent and drive there too plateau.

But he does seem like a guy in need of an opportunity..... like a 4 to 6 week injury to Monahan or Backlund. I think the "Bennett in need of a winger" is overblown, but not without merit.

There are many ways to put him in situations to succeed and I think he has earned that.

He pops up in trade chatter because he hasn't tracked like Draisaitel. But I would be surprised if the Flames have soured at all on Bennett.

The kid is a huge part of the Flames future.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #923
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Bennett is in a bit of a weird spot. Im not worried about him, there's too much talent and drive there too plateau.

But he does seem like a guy in need of an opportunity..... like a 4 to 6 week injury to Monahan or Backlund.
I think the "Bennett in need of a winger" is overblown, but not without merit.

There are many ways to put him in situations to succeed and I think he has earned that.

He pops up in trade chatter because he hasn't tracked like Draisaitel. But I would be surprised if the Flames have soured at all on Bennett.

The kid is a huge part of the Flames future.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Yes. I was going to mention the bolded above and forgot.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #924
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Nothing about Jankowski is looking like a career 13th forward at best. In fact he's looking like he's on track to be a top two centre.

Stupid comment
Will be 23 before season starts and has one NHL game under his belt. That does, and also you didn't read my comment properly.

Stupid reply.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #925
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
I agree. Plus, Engelland also defended his team mates. Emelin does everything he can to not fight. Even after borderline hits.

Not saying a player has to fight after a hit, just that Emelin is not engelland or what he provided.
Emelin can't fight, he has a rebuilt orbital bone (KHL fight years ago) that cannot take impact.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #926
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Will be 23 before season starts and has one NHL game under his belt. That does, and also you didn't read my comment properly.

Stupid reply.
A lot of posters do not like to hear it, but it bears repeating because I think there is a grain of truth: Jankowski's development is difficult to track because his path to the NHL has been so extremely unconventional to this point. At a glance, yes, he does appear like a middling forward who appears to be a high risk to meet his potential. But he started most things in hockey late—except for his college career which he started very early, but also made a massive leap from prep-school hockey to Div I. I think it is fair to withhold judgment at this point even though he is 23-years-old already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #927
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing about Jankowski is looking like a career 13th forward at best. In fact he's looking like he's on track to be a top two centre.

Stupid comment
Do you have any comparables for players who have taken a similar career path and become top2 centres for their teams?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #928
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Emelin can't fight, he has a rebuilt orbital bone (KHL fight years ago) that cannot take impact.
Yet he shows a lack of respect by throwing borderline and dirty hits.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #929
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Do you have any comparables for players who have taken a similar career path and become top2 centres for their teams?
No. But how much of that has to do with all those players who have followed the same career path but failed? Rather, might it have to do with the fact that Jankowski's career path has been so extremely unconventional?

I might be inclined to think it is the former had he not been so impressive in the AHL last year.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #930
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Stupid comment
He is hell of a lot closer to being a 13th forward than being a top 6 centre.
I love Jankowski, I think he's going to be a good NHL player, but let's not go overboard. If he tops out as a middle 6 C, it's a win.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #931
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couture and Pavelski on San Jose are centers who play wing due to depth. So why can't Bennett in the same scenario? Besides I love Bennett and I really do believe he's a better winger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #932
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Off the top of my head

Andy McDonald http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=26682

First AHL season at 23 years old 0.87 pts/g

Jankowski first AHL season at 22 years old 0.88 pts/g
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #933
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Off the top of my head

Andy McDonald http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=26682

First AHL season at 23 years old 0.87 pts/g

Jankowski first AHL season at 22 years old 0.88 pts/g
To tag onto this, Andy MacDonald was the Ducks #1C when they won the cup - not Getzlaf.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #934
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I wonder if Bennett might end up like Granlund in Minnesota. They tried to get him to play center, but once they finally just put him on the wing, his game went to another level. Should Jankowski prove to be viable as a 3rd line center, than moving Bennett back to wing could become an option. When he played with Backlund and Frolik he was scoring at like a 50 plus point pace. Put him with lesser line mates and in the middle and it does impact his production.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #935
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jankowski is going to be a good NHL player. The eye test alone tells you that much.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #936
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yet he shows a lack of respect by throwing borderline and dirty hits.
It's a pretty low percentage IMO. Some time ago, a decent hard hit suddenly became a fightable offense. I hate that change in hockey.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #937
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I wonder if Bennett might end up like Granlund in Minnesota. They tried to get him to play center, but once they finally just put him on the wing, his game went to another level. Should Jankowski prove to be viable as a 3rd line center, than moving Bennett back to wing could become an option. When he played with Backlund and Frolik he was scoring at like a 50 plus point pace. Put him with lesser line mates and in the middle and it does impact his production.
Yes, I could see this happening as well. But I tend to think that management and coaches are going to give Bennett every opportunity to work at centre ice. He is still so young that I don't think there is anything to be lost in his development if this is the plan for another season.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #938
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes, I could see this happening as well. But I tend to think that management and coaches are going to give Bennett every opportunity to work at centre ice. He is still so young that I don't think there is anything to be lost in his development if this is the plan for another season.
I think it will come down to how well other guys can play the position. Minnesota was able to make the move after they got Erik Staal to pair with Koivu. The Flames currently do have a pretty good pairing in Monahan and Backlund. To me Backlund has proven himself as a very good top 6 center, whereas even three years ago, many felt he was a good third line guy at best. There's only so much ice time and good line mates to go around.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #939
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy standing next to Jankowski below, was a selke caliber guy who had a 75 point season in the dead puck era, and was the first line center on a team that made it to game 7 of the SCF. He didn't make the NHL full time until his draft+7 season:

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #940
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman's 30 thoughts:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...st-round-pick/

Summary:
Leafs package for Hamonic included JVR, but Isles thought they had similar in Ladd and Lee already

Sens and LA had discussions at the draft. Speculates a Brown for Phaneuf trade could make sense for both sides

Doubtful Thornton leaves SJ but potential suitors include Columb,s LA, Montreal and Rangers

Sam Gagner makes a lot of sense for Chicago after Panarin trade

Isles and Oilers discussed a three way trade that involved Eberle and Strome, but not sure who 3rd team was

likely Galchenyuk stays now

lots of speculation that Ryan Miller will sign in Anaheim for $1 million and maybe additional bonuses

price for Alzner may be between $4 to $5 million

Low-key possibility for Duchene may be Pittsburgh. Could Mattaa + additional pieces get it done?

OEL is happy with all the recent moves with the coyotes - not going anywhere despite speculation

doesn't think it was close to happening, but at the draft Vegas tried to trade up to 3rd OA and then to 1st OA.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Closed Thread