Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #2261
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
She probably still thinks the Hound is dead.
Further to that, 'the hound' may be crossed off her list already.

Sandor Clegane is a different character now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #2262
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
She probably still thinks the Hound is dead.
Beric and Thoros, who are the Hounds new posse, are on the list too. That could result in an inadvertent run-in.

The Hound/Arya reunion will be good. Although I could see her killing the Hound impulsively before having the chance to see he's changed his evil ways.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #2263
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Was thinking about the priceless gift that Euron promised Cersei and while most people are theorizing that he will attempt to nab one of Cersei's most hated persons like Tyrion or Sansa, I think it might be something more simpler.

Jamie pointed out that the Tyrells had the food that the Lannister army needed to wage war. What if Euron, being the pirate that he is, manages to steal/capture the food from the Tyrells.

Jamie also pointed out the Ironborn steal whatever they can't grow or build themselves.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #2264
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

New trailer shown at Comic-Con...

Spoiler!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #2265
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
New trailer shown at Comic-Con...
Could probably spoiler tag that, dude. There are likely some people who would rather not know that ahead of time.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #2266
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, a bit of forward movement in that episode, but, at risk of seeming like a hater (which I'm not; I love this show!), it was some of the most ham-fisted forward movement:
  1. Jon is moving towards Dany, but one Evite has him running off alone to meet up with an unknown entity?
  2. Euron has his gift, and the first big shot of the new war is fired, but an experienced fleet gets completely blindsided in the night with no warning, and Euron sails right up to the command boat unopposed?
  3. Jorah finds his cure (presumably), but it takes Sam just a few hours search to discover the cure, and (again presumably) pulls it off despite it being too dangerous for even the most senior maesters to attempt?

I really hope the need to speed up the plot doesn't cause a big drop in the quality of the story that has existed thus far.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #2267
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-25-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #2268
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're obviously more forgiving than I am. This show has been great because it's taken time to build context, character motivation, etc., before making big moves. If it's now just big moves bang, bang, bang with none of the usual context and motivation building, it will be a lesser show, IMO.

Jon wanting to meet with Dany was understandable, but running off on his own just like that?? And no, in a massive naval battle, it's not inevitable that the command ship is overridden and the entire command crew slaughtered or captured. This was a really lazy way to move through that plot point.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-23-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #2269
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I agree the whole episode felt a little awkward... I liked episode one better.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #2270
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, while I enjoy the fact that we don't have to wait an entire season for the big players to move across the map, it seems like everything is on fast forward now and they're almost conveniently forcing main characters together for the sake of fan hurrah moments and taking a lot of shortcuts that are easy to see coming, this after the dominoes were very carefully and meticulously set up over the first number of seasons. I'd have preferred 10 episodes if anything so that we don't have things like Sam figuring out (and carrying out) the cure to a rarely treated disease within half of an episode. Jorah being in Oldtown is perfectly understandable, but at least make Sam work at it for a few eps before fast tracking that subplot lazily. Despite being fiction, it's a little out of the realm of belief given that these maesters have studied these things for years like Sam's mentor pointed out.

The surprise attack was also a bit out of left field, after the first 2/3 of the episode. Felt like action for the sake of action, to spice up the episode just to appease the action junkies. But I suppose it advanced that arc a little bit with the Martell and Greyjoy women being held captive now. I felt like we could've used a bit of context there. Show them departing, show us who was part of the fleet. Was it just the Martells and (loyal) Greyjoys on the way to Dorne to rally the Dornish army? We're just left to assume these things. The jumps in time are a little confusing and unlike GOT which tends to thoroughly educate the viewer as to what's going on.

All that said, I can't deny that I've been thoroughly entertained so far this season and have to pause every so often at the numerous moments of pure awesomeness to contain my fanboying.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #2271
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The surprise attack was also a bit out of left field
Would you say it was... surprising?
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #2272
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've also found it somewhat jarring how many stupid moves Littlefinger has made since the end of last season. He has been established as intelligent enough over the course of the show to know how Sansa and Jon would react to the way he approached them.

Unless his plan is to irritate Sansa into submission and make Jon want to kill him? I could see him gaining pity or a value/purpose to Sansa in Jon's absence with some charade, then make Jon lose it upon his return (fulfilling his threat), to have Sansa come to his aid in an attempt to increase the rift between them? (ala Palpatine with Anakin/the Jedi)

Been used to seeing Baelish as a true player in the game but I don't feel like he's much of a threat so long as Sansa doesn't encounter brain damage. I suppose he will linger in the shadows patiently for his moment to do (or more likely-say) something.

But then I fully expect Arya to outright execute him upon her arrival, so he doesn't have that much time to gain some kind of favour or leverage with the Starks/Sansa.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-23-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #2273
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Jeez. Tough crowd.

I thought it was an excellent episode. We see how much all the houses distrust each other due to years of backstabbing and how both Jon and Dany struggle to deal with it. We see the beginnings of civil war and houses picking sides. They've already spent a ton of time establishing the Maesters at the Citadel are smart but close minded, full of themselves and not open to new ideas and it is no surprise Sam found a cure given the resources.

I thought the Euron battle was great. Eleria is a logical gift since she murdered Myrcella.

Arya in the pub was great. She's like a grizzled war vet. The fact Nymeria recognized it was her but didn't want to join her was interesting. Because Arya has changed so much? Because she didn't keep loyalty and pushed her away back in S1?

What's Jorah gonna get up to? Will Sam get kicked out of the Citadel for being a free thinker and they'll meet up with Jon and Dany?

How will Dany take the Seven Kingdoms without spilling blood? What's she gonna do without the fleet sailing to King's Landing?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-23-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #2274
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Jeez. Tough crowd.

I thought it was an excellent episode. We see how much all the houses distrust each other due to years of backstabbing and how both Jon and Dany struggle to deal with it. We see the beginnings of civil war and houses picking sides. They've already spent a ton of time establishing the Maesters at the Citadel are smart but close minded, full of themselves and not open to new ideas and it is no surprise Sam found a cure given the resources.

I thought the Euron battle was great. Eleria is a logical gift since she murdered Myrcella.

Arya in the pub was great. She's like a grizzled war vet. The fact Nymeria recognized it was her but didn't want to join her was interesting. Because Arya has changed so much? Because she didn't keep loyalty and pushed her away back in S1?

What's Jorah gonna get up to? Will Sam get kicked out of the Citadel for being a free thinker and they'll meet up with Jon and Dany?

How will Dany take the Seven Kingdoms without spilling blood? What's she gonna do without the fleet sailing to King's Landing?
To be fair I thought the recounting of the Mad King and bits of history between the houses as well as the dragon skulls scene were riveting. There were highlights for sure. The war council in Dragonstone and Winterfell were interesting to see the dynamic/clashing between characters we're used to seeing apart from one another. Even if Sansa's whining/protesting annoys me greatly (ever since S1...)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #2275
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought it was another brilliant and compelling episode. Arya heading north gave me the shivers and the battle scene was bloody brilliant. Euron's entrance was the most bad ass thing ever and visually the scene was stunning. The sparks flying everyone popped off the screen.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #2276
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I have been able to avoid 99% of spoilers and just started watching GOT about a weeks ago. Am sitting mid-way thru season 2 and plan on trying to catch up in time for the new season.

Unreal show, can't believe I'm just starting it.
I posted this on June 23, watched S7E1 last night just in time to be caught up for tonight's episode. What an amazing show the only 2 things I knew starting the series was that
Spoiler!

The fire Euron battle was playing perfectly with the lightning lighting up my living room as the fire flew. Great episode.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #2277
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just one question is Euron part cyborg? I like the episode, but dude took a half dozen solid stab wounds and kept going. Thought that was the worst part.

Overall great episode.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #2278
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it's been implied that Euron is magically augmented, which could explain his durability and looking almost the same age as his nephew. Could also explain how he effortlessly built a thousand ships from a few tiny ass islands of mostly rock, and surprised Yara's fleet with them.

Looks like they're going to go the anti-Smaug route with the dragons. Is it bad to cry when a nonexistent CGI animal bites the dust?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #2279
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked that Arya quip about making a few pies lately.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rayne008 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #2280
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they flew Arya up to Calgary for that 30 second scene?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote