Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #201
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The music guy is just killing it on this show. So Star Treky.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #202
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The music really adds to it, I love the old time orchestra type of movie instead of the synthy poppy stuff that you get in most series. I'm not against using relevant classic rock music or regular rock either when the time is right, but there's just something regal about an orchestra that's more to me Star Wars then Star Trek.

Other things that have really surprised me.

The effects are really well done. From the thudding of the Quantum drive (Does anyone think its really star treky that the Quantum drive is ether out of alignment or outright destroyed in a lot of the episodes, kind of like the transporters failing.

I'm surprised at how well they've done the character development. for the most part they've had solid character episodes for most of the bridge crew except for Gordon. But Isaac has been really well done as has Alira, I am a little disappointing that they've kind of dropped the Bortas story line.

what I really like is that the humor hasn't been totally over the top and hasn't gotten in the way of the characters being characters, instead the quipping has made them seem more human then the Star Trek characters. But we don't have bridge crew members prat falling all over the place just to get comedy in. The whole pet discussion that ended with Isaac petting Gordon like he was a pet was so well done and at the same time just true to what a tremendously racist cybernetic life form would do.

Overall, this show to me is the surprise of the year and they had a daunting task going against a actual Star Trek series. Its a shame it was a short run first year, but at the same time, it doesn't allow us to become tired of it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #203
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying Orville but there are a few things that would make it better for next season.

- Improve some of the set. Like someone said previously, it looks like they went to Ikea for a lot of it.

- Get rid of the shoulder patches on the uniforms. They look terrible and it sometimes look like they are peeling off.

- Kill off Seth McFarlene's character and get someone new for the Captain spot. Seth is a terrible actor, especially when he tries to be serious. I know this is not going to happen, since he's the creator of the show, but it would improve it a lot. Not that he's available but I think Nathan Fillion would be great in the role.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #204
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I want an explanation of the Spiral Staircase, I actually really do, I think that's what makes me laugh the most and if that Starcase ever gets destroyed is the cast trapped on the command deck.

I like the job that McFarlene has done on the show, and killing him off kills the premise of the show to me, he's a everyman captain, and he's supposed to be awkward and a bit jarring at times. the biggest thing from the start of the show was that the fleet had about 3000 ships and they didn't have captains for all of them so they were basically scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get Captains. Why would you want to change that? That just ruins the premise of the show.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I think MacFarlane has been great, hes provided a good foil, the jokes arent forcefully coming from him, he just generates the atmosphere, I cant complain.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #206
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I'm fine with MacFarlane, I agree that Nathan Fillion would be absolute gold as a captain in the show. Maybe they could have a recurring role where Fillion is the cool-guy Union captain MacFarlane wishes he was.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #207
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fillion would be way better as a cool captain of the rebel fleet. I don't want to see him as a captain for the Union.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #208
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
While I'm fine with MacFarlane, I agree that Nathan Fillion would be absolute gold as a captain in the show. Maybe they could have a recurring role where Fillion is the cool-guy Union captain MacFarlane wishes he was.
This is literally all they have to do to make me want to watch this. Basically, Captain Hammer with a starship.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #209
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really liked the final episode of the season. Some great humor, a really interesting plot line, and a bit of a sad ending to it.

I have to admit that I loved when the Captain showed up at John's cabin and he was with the cute ensign who invited the Captain in for a drink. John's reaction was awesome.

Also playing the game with Bortas and his mate was excellent.

It was great that they really touched on the Prime Directive from Star Trek. In that show they always seemed to get away with interfering, but in this one because of the clever time travel of the planet we got an exceptional illustration of how a simple act of healing a child created a complete horror story.

I guess it was important that the last episode would focus on Ed and Kelly and continue their story.

I loved the hangover scenes and how it effected Kelly and the Captain as well.

Great first season for a show that everyone expected to fail.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #210
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This show is just flat out enjoyable. Not perfect by any means, I think the stand alone episode format hurts it somewhat especially the season ender which could have been expanded greatly.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #211
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent first season. Very sad it is over so quickly, but excited to see what they can do now that they have established themselves.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #212
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

December 30 premiere date for Season 2...

Old 07-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like its going to be great.

They really get the balance of being Trek while making fun of Trek right.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #214
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Someone got a budget increase.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #215
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks fine, but doesn't get me as excited as the Discovery trailer.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #216
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Someone got a budget increase.
I love that in spite of the obvious budget increase they left the interior of the ship as cheesy as it always was.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #217
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They need to highlight the spiral staircase more. In the 25th century you'd think that they'd have something more high tech.

I actually really love the interior design of the Orville, it seems like a fusion of the original series bridge, and the bridge from TNG which I actually really disliked because it looked like a hotel lobby

Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #218
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Looks fine, but doesn't get me as excited as the Discovery trailer.
I'm excited for both, one is a lighthearted but well-done tribute to the Star Trek universe, the other is a darker and different look at the ST universe.

Its like we are living in Trek heaven right now.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I'm excited for both, one is a lighthearted but well-done tribute to the Star Trek universe, the other is a darker and different look at the ST universe.

Its like we are living in Trek heaven right now.
Ditto, you dont have to pick one, you might like one better than the other for a variety of reasons, but we're fortunate to have both.

In the battle of Pilot Seasons I'd give the edge to The Orville, but again, thats because Discovery, as far as I can tell is trying to build something bigger and their trailer for Season 2 looks phenomenal.

But I still plan on watching both.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #220
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that Discovery is trying to address one of the biggest problems on the show by firing the writers from last year. So I'm interested in seeing if there's a tone change.

If they take the emphasis off of Burnhan because honestly Martin-Green is not at the same level of acting ability that the other actors are at on that show, she's frankly awful. Also if they keep Georgiou off the show because again Michelle Yeoh is terrible the show will be vastly improved.