Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2020, 04:56 AM   #21
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Interesting, so does that extend to memories? Can you picture people you've known or places that have had some meaning to you in your past (childhood home/neighbourhood or school)?
For myself, who also can't picture anything in my head;. People and memories are moreso descriptions, that I could write down in a paragraph. I honestly just learned in this thread that people actually see pictures in their minds eye. ####ing crazy. I assumed it was just a turn of phrase and that only extremely talented artists and the like had those gifts.

Edit for clarity : When I say a paragraph I could write down, I literally mean I only say descriptive words in my head. Reading Jack Reacher novels I know that he has brown hair, is 6'5", muscular and a little homely. I couldn't draw it, I don't see that person, but I sure know it isn't Tom Cruise.

Last edited by indes; 08-17-2020 at 04:59 AM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I have the same condition, I can't visualize anything. The best example I can think of is related to film adaptations of books - you'll hear people say "that character looks nothing like I pictured him", but since I have no mental image of any book character, that never made any sense to me until I realized people literally created images in their heads when reading.

Words are only sounds to me, not inextricably twined with pictures. I think it gives an advantage in some ways, but I certainly would make a very poor fighter pilot or sculptor.
Do you "see" scenes when you dream?

If someone asked me to picture Iginla in a red jersey, I can do it. I can picture a person or an object in color - any background is vague or impressionistic. It's not a vivid HD panoramic scene.

Last edited by troutman; 08-17-2020 at 08:20 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #23
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I learnt how to solder on a circuit board. Bought a good soldering iron and a modification kit for one of my guitar pedals and ended up replacing 15 components on the pedal's circuit board. Spent a bunch of time watching videos on soldering technique and looking at circuit diagrams trying to refresh my brain.

Took a long time (~3 hours research and experimenting, ~2 hours collecting materials, ~3 hours actually working on the circuit board), but I really started to get it towards the end and now I've gone mad with hubris and am looking for more circuit board projects.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #24
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Piggy-backing off this one: I had heard of people "seeing music" but when my daughter told me that letters were either boy or girl when she was in kindergarten, I thought she was koo-koo or just playing imaginary friend kind of games. But after testing her over a couple of days, she was telling the truth. Turns out she has: Ordinal-linguistic personification (OLP, or personification for short) is a form of synesthesia in which ordered sequences, such as ordinal numbers, days, months and letters are associated with personalities and/or genders. She doesn't have any other of the 80 other types of synesthesia (that I know of?) but 5 years later when I ask her, she is still adamant that letters are male or female.

i'm guessing that whoever came up with the french language also had this
i never did understand how anyone could know that your pants are masculine (le pantalon) and your socks are feminine (la chaussette) - i still don't get it!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i'm guessing that whoever came up with the french language also had this
i never did understand how anyone could know that your pants are masculine (le pantalon) and your socks are feminine (la chaussette) - i still don't get it!
A lot of languages do this (Spanish, Italian, German, Arabic).

For myself, being fluent in Arabic made learning French incredibly difficult and confusing while I was in school. I would say about 70% of the nouns had the same gender in both languages, but the other 30% were totally different. On top of that, in Arabic, you can tell just from the sound of the word whether it is masculine or feminine. If it ends in a vowel sound (-ah, -eh, -i), it is feminine. Everything else is masculine. In French, it's all arbitrary.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I learned that my bike rear derailleur actually is pretty easy to tune using the various tensioning screws on it...

Also learned that when everything else fails to fix a fiddly derailer adjustment to check that your cassette lock ring is actually still tight. Mine had backed off and so the 2-3mm of wobble was enough to p*ss me off.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #27
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird, but after a short survey of people I know...I’ve learned that most people brush their teeth using cool or cold water.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yesterday I learned that wasps are apparently attracted to brake cleaner. Was cleaning my fuel mixing jugs out on the deck and got swarmed by 8-10 wasps. Dirty buggers
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #29
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’ve been listening to Paradise by the Dashboard light, since I was a kid. I recently (last couple of years) just realized what the baseball part of the song was referring to. For
30 years I thought he was watching the game and she came in and turned it off and gave him an ultimatum.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #30
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Calgary has a bylaw that limits a household to two garage sales per year. Any more than that, and it's deemed that you are trying to run a business, and action may be taken.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #31
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Weird, but after a short survey of people I know...I’ve learned that most people brush their teeth using cool or cold water.
And what do you use, orange juice?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #32
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I’ve been listening to Paradise by the Dashboard light, since I was a kid. I recently (last couple of years) just realized what the baseball part of the song was referring to. For
30 years I thought he was watching the game and she came in and turned it off and gave him an ultimatum.
Ha! Finally somebody else I can admit my deep dark secret to. I came to the same realization about 10 years ago. I'm usually pretty good with interpretation of song lyrics, etc but this one completely passed me by. Let's stand together in solidarity, my equally oblivious brother!
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
Ha! Finally somebody else I can admit my deep dark secret to. I came to the same realization about 10 years ago. I'm usually pretty good with interpretation of song lyrics, etc but this one completely passed me by. Let's stand together in solidarity, my equally oblivious brother!
What's wrong with me that I knew what it was about at age 11 in 1977?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #34
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post

warm water to 'soften' the toothbrush before brushing then cold water to rinse. i have wimpy gums! ha! ha!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Do you "see" scenes when you dream?

If someone asked me to picture Iginla in a red jersey, I can do it. I can picture a person or an object in color - any background is vague or impressionistic. It's not a vivid HD panoramic scene.
This question would interest me the most. I have a very vivid imagination and memory. I can picture things very clearly. On the flip side... I have horrifying dreams. Always have. It’s the main reason I smoke a lot of weed, no more dreams for me. They are the furthest thing from enjoyable or relaxing for me, and have always impacted my sleep.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #36
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I have a very vivid imagination and memory. I can picture things very clearly.
This is something I didn't understand about folks for a long time. When I read, and especially if I am left alone and really get into the book, the world seems to fall away and it's more like a movie in my head. I am not conscious of reading the book or turning the pages. It just plays like a movie until something interrupts me.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #37
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
warm water to 'soften' the toothbrush before brushing then cold water to rinse. i have wimpy gums! ha! ha!
I use warm water for both...

My gums are wimpier than yours !!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #38
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

the iPhone has a PDF scanner/builder allowing for single page or multiple page PDFs.

>Scan a document
>Open a note or create a new note.
>Tap , then tap Scan Documents.
>Place your document in view of the camera on your device.
>If your device is in Auto mode, your document will be automatically scanned. If you need to manually capture a scan, tap or one of the Volume buttons.
>Drag the corners to adjust the scan to fit the page, then tap Keep Scan.
>You can add additional scans to the document or tap Save when you're done.

Wow, game changer for entering expenses.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #39
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Warm water to brush and rinse.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This question would interest me the most. I have a very vivid imagination and memory. I can picture things very clearly. On the flip side... I have horrifying dreams. Always have. It’s the main reason I smoke a lot of weed, no more dreams for me. They are the furthest thing from enjoyable or relaxing for me, and have always impacted my sleep.
That's interesting. I have as close to a pixel perfect imagination I can... well... imagine. Whether it's a memory or reading a book or just imagining whatever, I can paint the picture exactly, from people's facial expressions to what's sitting on the desk or what's written on a random piece of paper. It's not like I consciously/purposely imagine those things either, they just exist as part of whatever I'm thinking about. When I listen to music, I see the music being played or vividly imagine whatever story is being told. When I watch movies, my brain fills out more than what's on the screen.

But I very very rarely dream. When I do, they're just colours and shapes.

The brain is weird.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote