Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:14 AM   #7561
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I was trying to stay out of this but I totally agree

Imagine wearing an $8000 hoodie when people literally freeze and starve to death. If you have that much money you don't know what to do with buy 160 $50 hoodies and donate 159 of them
Or maybe spend your own money any way you see fit, since, you know, it's yours and you've earned it.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #7562
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockfullofgoodness View Post
Or maybe spend your own money any way you see fit, since, you know, it's yours and you've earned it.
If you buy an $8000 hoodie you are a ####ing moron with more money than brains

Should I burn my money? I earned it
Old 10-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #7563
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Just wanted to give you props CPF for taking on the Alberta Energy gang. You made some solid points.

That;s really annoying. Why not just let everyone discuss topics instead of trying to label and diminish certain contributors like it's a schoolyard? We went back and forth and Cali explained his side and we came to an understanding. It's an emotional issue for us in Alberta, why belittle us like that?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #7564
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
https://financialpost.com/commoditie...-said-anything

This isn't QAnon stuff CaliFlamesfan, it is fully available info that the US under Obama held Canadian Oil up as the boogey man to stop Oil production and consumption and then went into overdrive to produce and supply the void.
Even more crazy, some of those pipelines are delivering oil to our Eastern provinces, while Alberta has a hard time getting its oil across the country.

The whole thing is a dupe.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #7565
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

eighteen year poster
sixteen were bland and boring
suddenly sad troll
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to haiku For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #7566
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I found the concept of an 8000 dollar hoodie as that's what it was really more obscene and immoral than the theft, granted he was boosting it to feed his drug habit, nothing particularly noble about that
You must remember that there is certain collective here that openly brag about spending $20+ for a single pair (why do they call it a pair?) of underwear. Blowing money on stuff like is crazy, but it's what some people like to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #7567
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Overall, Canadian LNG releases 25% less emissions compared to Chinese/India sourced LNG.
I was waiting for someone to jump all over this. Can you explain how the Canadian methane molecule is different from the Chinese or Indian methane molecule? Curious how it contributes to 25% less emissions when it is the same molecule?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #7568
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I was waiting for someone to jump all over this. Can you explain how the Canadian methane molecule is different from the Chinese or Indian methane molecule? Curious how it contributes to 25% less emissions when it is the same molecule?
Flaring regulations,

It’s the same as saying every barrel of oil doesn’t have the same total tailpipe emissions. I don’t know the veracity of the number itself but it isn’t about the molecule.

Also the power source used to compress the LNG (should be just gas but could be coal or in BC it could be grid hydro)

Last edited by GGG; 10-24-2020 at 08:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #7569
Mephisto
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even more crazy, some of those pipelines are delivering oil to our Eastern provinces, while Alberta has a hard time getting its oil across the country.

The whole thing is a dupe.
Just curious, which pipelines to E. Canada? They were built in the last 10 years?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #7570
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Flaring regulations,

It’s the same as saying every barrel of oil doesn’t have the same total tailpipe emissions. I don’t know the veracity of the number itself but it isn’t about the molecule.

Also the power source used to compress the LNG (should be just gas but could be coal or in BC it could be grid hydro)
There are multiple LNG plants coming online in BC, each with a subsequent lessor rate in C02 emissions per tonne of LNG produced.

The developments are fascinating, but apparently not widely known.

Quote:
Right out of the gate with the first major project, Canadian LNG operations will be well below the global emissions average of 0.26 to 0.35 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per tonne of LNG produced. LNG Canada, currently under construction at Kitimat, B.C., is being designed for 0.15 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per tonne per tonne of LNG.

The two projects that may follow over the next decade – Woodfibre LNG and Kitimat LNG – are designed for intensity of approximately 0.06 to 0.08 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per tonne of LNG.

“Not only will B.C. projects have the potential to reduce global emissions by displacing coal, they will also reduce global emissions if they replace LNG produced in other jurisdictions.”

LNG Canada says its low GHG footprint will be achieved through a combination of the lower-CO2 composition of Montney natural gas; widespread electrification of upstream operations like drilling and processing; the use of green power from B.C.’s hydro-driven electrical grid; and use of highly efficient gas turbines at the liquefaction plant.

“A B.C. LNG facility that uses gas-powered turbines will produce literally millions of tonnes less CO2 during its life cycle than a Gulf Coast plant of similar size,” Cox said.

“The greenhouse gas footprint, and the fuel loss through the value chain, is orders of magnitude lower than the Gulf Coast,” Eastwood said.

Electric-drive technology “would substantially reduce, but not completely eliminate, greenhouse gas emissions from the LNG facility at Kitimat,” said David Austin, a lawyer specializing in energy at Stirling Law.
https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/20...LNG%20produced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #7571
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
Just curious, which pipelines to E. Canada? They were built in the last 10 years?
Eastern Canada has imported an increasing amount of oil from the US & other countries the last 10 years, even despite Enbridge reversing one its major pipelines in Canada. At the same time the US has basically shut down Keystone development and ran propaganda efforts against Canadian produced oil, most notably that coming from Alberta.

From what I recall, there are also hundreds of thousands of barrels per day being brought to Eastern Canada via tankers from US & other oil producing countries.

So it actually isn't just the pipelines that have been built across the Eastern United States.

Irving has been pleading with the Canadian government to find a way to get more access to Canadian based oil. Not sure if anything has come of that though.

What the US has done to the Canadian oil industry is nothing short of a coup. Even worse, Canada as a country is too stupid to realize this and has refused to do anything about it. Even the CPC didn't act quickly enough.

Sad, because Canadian resources could make a significant difference to worldwide emissions if we were able to provide them to the world.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #7572
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
We are not "working from home" right now, we are "at home working". Meaning we are just trying to get by replicating the office environment at home. People who have been working at home for years and years aren't working like we are right now. They have a totally different working environment.

For example, working hours. For the last 6 months at home working, is your workplace still forcing your to keep core business hours? Meaning you MUST be online during your old office hours? If so that's at home working. People who work from home, have their own hours and working agreements.
Good podcast from HBR this week that connects with what you're saying here a bit.

https://hbr.org/podcast/2020/10/why-...s-here-to-stay

Quote:
Prithwiraj (Raj) Choudhury, associate professor at Harvard Business School, was studying the growing work-from-anywhere movement long before the Covid-19 pandemic forced many more of us into virtual work. He says that more and more organizations are adopting WFA as a business strategy, one that not only reduces real estate costs but also boosts employee engagement and productivity. He acknowledges that there are challenges to creating and maintaining all-remote workforces but outlines research-based best practices for overcoming them.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #7573
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do the vast majority of people want fossil fuels phased out?

Maybe we should ask the vast majority of Californians what they think about their 'green' state right now?

The argument is laughable at best right now, and I'm about as pro solar/wind/nuclear/EV/battery storage as anyone on here.
Biden didn’t say “phasing out fossil fuels” he said oil. You’re changing the argument from what Biden said.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #7574
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You must remember that there is certain collective here that openly brag about spending $20+ for a single pair (why do they call it a pair?) of underwear. Blowing money on stuff like is crazy, but it's what some people like to do.
This is unintentionally hilarious. Almost like you don’t know what underwear is.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #7575
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If you buy an $8000 hoodie you are a ####ing moron with more money than brains

Should I burn my money? I earned it
Who is buying an $8,000 hoodie?
Old 10-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #7576
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This is unintentionally hilarious. Almost like you don’t know what underwear is.
I've always been amazed at how underwear is something many people choose not to spend money on. Is there any item of clothing more important to your comfort?
Not that I wear Saxx or similar every day - but certainly having comfy undies is key.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #7577
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Who is buying an $8,000 hoodie?
No one, the discussion started about a theft of one.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #7578
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've always been amazed at how underwear is something many people choose not to spend money on. Is there any item of clothing more important to your comfort?
Not that I wear Saxx or similar every day - but certainly having comfy undies is key.
Not to mention every time I buy a value pack they have holes in them in a couple months. They cost more in the long run.

.... what thread is this!?
Old 10-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #7579
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the weird rant about the $300 hoodie, if you are buying something like that, it often means that it was produced by workers in a country with fair labour practices and with better materials - hence the price. Maybe you don’t want to spend that money on a hoodie - neither do I - but the price/quality ratio is likely pretty good.

People’s attitudes towards the clothes they wear always bewilders me. In an age where sustainability and wage equality are both becoming preeminent issues, why wouldn’t you consider that with the clothes you wear on your back? The global fast fashion industry is appallingly wasteful.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #7580
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Sam Seder nailed it yesterday, talking about how Clintons reputation and negative perception was cultivated by the right wing and fox news for years, if not a decade +. they simply didnt have the chance to slander biden that way, and its hurting them

you just know mayor pete and AOC will be mistakes they wont repeat. they will be slandered up and down the line. im a huge pete fan, him and AOC would be such an incredible ticket in 8 years
Why would AOC join a ticket with Pete? Pete is the exact type of corporate establishment Dem that The Squad despises.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread