Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nemesis almost killed Hardy's career before it started. It was such a dreadful movie.

The worst part was yeah Stewart was exceptionally good in a bad movie, with worse writing. but every other cast member looked like they read the script, said, its a pay check and zombied through it.

Trek fans point to this movie killing the TNG movies, but forget that it followed an equally bad Insurrection.
See, I didnt really mind Insurrection.

It wasnt a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it felt like a really long TNG Episode. Which is something I'm pretty okay with.

Granted the standards for a movie should be a lot higher but hey, it was no Star Trek 1. With a 10 minute scene of Spock gradually penetrating the Universe's anus.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #342
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Insurrection was so awkward for me, and when they rolled out the Emergency combat joystick I pretty much cringed. I just thought it was weak, and as much as we laugh at Spock Penatrating the universe, having the whole scene where Worf talking about his zits, while Riker eye pounds Troi while talking about his shaving was equally cringeworthy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #343
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Caught a bit of the ST marathon on the Sci-fi channel over the weekend, and I ended up watching both TMP and Nemesis for the first time in years. TMP is still too long and quite boring in parts, but I still enjoy the chemistry between the characters/actors and the overall story is actually pretty cool. If they had shortened it to TV length, it would have made for a great episode of the series.

Nemesis is just an awful movie in almost every aspect. Solid performance by Tom Hardy though. I always forget that was one of his first major film roles. Other than Patrick Stewart who always seems to bring his best no matter what the circumstances, the rest of the main cast look like they're sleepwalking their way through the film.

It was pretty much supposed to be the first couple of episodes of Star Trek: Series II!

Personally I really enjoy TMP as it had the feeling of true Trek - the wonder of humanity, personal relationships and a reflection of ourselves today.

I don't think Trek needs to revert to big space battles to be good.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #344
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Here comes another animated Trek with Kate Mulgrew reprising her role as Capt. Janeway. This time without the catty fights with Jeri Ryan

https://trekmovie.com/2020/10/08/bre...-trek-prodigy/

Alex Kurtzman needs to be hit by a bus.

Also...Kate Mulgrew is a legit Crazy Person.

So this might be good....?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #345
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but Redlettermedia actually does sport some of the more knowledgeable Trek nerds on the planet. The dude on the right is a Canadian set dec artist who has won an Emmy or too, for a little Can-Con, if that's important.

I agree with most of what they say, I think because I'm older now, and my brain function has simplified to a dull roar.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #346
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The worst part was yeah Stewart was exceptionally good in a bad movie, with worse writing. but every other cast member looked like they read the script, said, its a pay check and zombied through it.
Patrick was happy because they let him drive a dune buggy, which is one of his real life hobbies. that was obviously worth creating the stupidest most impractical vehicle in the Star Trek universe.

I do like the Scimitar because I'm a sucker for OP ships that can be used in endless VS debates, even though its very existence is equally as stupid as a Federation dune buggy (Halloween goblins with mining shovels create the most advanced warship in the quadrant). the only lasting negative is that I think it started the cinematic trend of watching the Enterprise get its ass handed to it by a bigger/badder enemy. speaking of which, Kelvin storylines:

Star Trek 2009 - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.

Star Trek Into Darkness - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.

Star Trek Beyond - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #347
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I never thought of that in terms of the plot lines of the Kelvin Trek.

I remember being in the theatre laughing at the description of The Scimitar. It was hilarious and so bizarre, and then I really laughed that they had the deadly flesh melting radiation flowing nakedly through the bridge.

Ship design in sci fi is like the worst. From no hand rails and a blatant disregard for safety in Star Wars, to ship killing one button dilemmas to clearly having no anti-virus firewalls on the borg to radiation flowing through naked columns on the bridge.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #348
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

Star Trek 2009 - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.

Star Trek Into Darkness - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.

Star Trek Beyond - A madman from a different time period uses advanced ship technology to maim the Enterprise. Kirk struggles to adjust to his role in Starfleet. Spock gets emotional and has relationship issues.
This actually made me laugh out loud, well done! And on point, even though I like all those movies.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #349
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

With Crave, got to watch through Lower Decks and I must say what a fun little series.

It felt more like Star Trek than Picard or Discovery, even with its animated and light nature.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #350
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I thought Lower Decks episode 1 was abysmal but I’ve watched 2 and 3 now since I saw people raving about it here and they were already better. Apparently it just gets better too, looking forward to it.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #351
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've recently re-watched TNG and DS9. Now I'm currently trying to watch Voyager for the first time and I've just got to say this series is straight trash.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:40 PM   #352
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I've recently re-watched TNG and DS9. Now I'm currently trying to watch Voyager for the first time and I've just got to say this series is straight trash.

How did you get through DS9? Drugs, alcohol, other distractions?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #353
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

DS9 is great. If I'm honest, it's the best Star Trek series, but TNG is the one I watched when I was little, so it's my favourite. The Dominion War honestly falls a bit flat, but it also doesn't have Wesley Crusher.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #354
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
DS9 is great. If I'm honest, it's the best Star Trek series, but TNG is the one I watched when I was little, so it's my favourite. The Dominion War honestly falls a bit flat, but it also doesn't have Wesley Crusher.
Yeah, I agree with this 100%. TNG probably has more good individual episodes but DS9 has a better overall story arc and character development.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #355
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

DS9 takes a little getting used to and hasn’t aged as well since it can’t be upgraded to HD but is overall quite strong.

I still prefer TNG but they’re neck and neck.

When DS9 first came out, I hated it. Took until about 4 or 5 years ago for me to watch it start to finish. Which I’ve now done twice.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #356
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always like DS9 because it basically casts doubt into Roddenberry's whole in the future the galaxy and mankind will over come their averice and war will become a thing of the past, and we'll peacefully explore and create releationships with other species.

The galaxy is a dirty place, that will never change, and more then ever DS9 really exposed the flaws in humanity. They were greedy and scared, and War simply couldn't be ignored.

To me that was brilliant, in the end Peace came at the point of a phaser.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #357
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The message of DS9 is fine, but it could have been more entertaining to watch. I admit, I have never felt invested in any of the characters and O’Brien / Worf weren’t especially compelling in TNG.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #358
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

More quality Star Trek talk from Mike and Rich.

This one's a cliffhanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Ok, I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but Redlettermedia actually does sport some of the more knowledgeable Trek nerds on the planet. The dude on the right is a Canadian set dec artist who has won an Emmy or too, for a little Can-Con, if that's important.

I agree with most of what they say, I think because I'm older now, and my brain function has simplified to a dull roar.
Star Trek The Motion Picture is bloody brilliant, and it's a shame a movie like that cannot be made ever again. They make a point in the review that it's one of the sexiest movies ever made, and after rewatching it, they're right.

This movie's hot, and not just because of Shatner's hairy arms.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-23-2020 at 08:19 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 02:04 AM   #359
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Im currently watching voyager again from the beginning. It has a few decent episodes in the first 3 seasons, but lots of stinkers. A bunch of episodes in there are nearly unwatchable.

It gets somewhat better starting in season 4 when it starts focusing on 7of9 and the Doctor a bit more.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #360
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voyager has some weird ones toward the end too. Lots of singing. I know Robert Picardo is a trained opera singer but they didn't need to lean in to that quite so much.