Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #4821
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Technically non replaceable battery right? Wouldn't be right to sell the phone to someone, this battery is f'd. Currently at 89 minutes off of charger and 65% battery loss.

I suppose I could check those phone repair stores to see if anyone can crack it open and get a replacement battery but I am a spiteful man and will likely instead decide to make Samsung my nemesis.
I know it's a pain, but have you tried a factory reset of the phone? Batteries don't normally die after 18 months, more like 4 years. I would be speaking with Samsung about it as well. Maybe they can give you a replacement for cheap.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #4822
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
For me Greenify simply works better.

With aggressive doze on, apps like Chrome were still sucking battery life even though I only use it once a day.

With Greenify I know it is being turned off, and the apps I want to run in the background are allowed.
I have "Aggressive doze" and "close high power usage apps" turned on and it blanket closes apps much better. While something like chrome might still take some power I haven't had anything phantom usage power like I used to have pre-7.1. Hm...

You can also just whitelist apps from being claimed by aggressive doze/high battery usage apps. Everything except those gets hibernated and I usually only use about 20% charge through a whole workday on my Oneplus 3T
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #4823
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I know it's a pain, but have you tried a factory reset of the phone? Batteries don't normally die after 18 months, more like 4 years. I would be speaking with Samsung about it as well. Maybe they can give you a replacement for cheap.
Yeah, doing one as we speak. It was acting oddly a few weeks ago, said it was at about 20% battery and then shut down, wouldn't turn back on, and then said it was at zero when I plugged it in. We'll see.

Edit: and that's a negative on the factory reset fixing anything. This is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone. I declare jihad on Samsung.

Last edited by ResAlien; 05-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #4824
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

A bad battery screws up a lot of stuff with your phone.

Having a replaceable battery is huge for me. A new one is at most $50. Pop it in and you are good to go.

Most new phones aren't that different from phones from 2-3 years ago. Only thing really changing is your battery is going kaput on the old ones.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #4825
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I rescind my jihad on Samsung. Whilst TMobile swears I'm not under warranty Samsung says I am and they'll repair/replace for free.

Yay Samsung, boo TMobile, yay Android.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #4826
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The battery on my 6P has been terrible the past couple weeks. I recall reading on here other people were having issues. Any solutions?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #4827
Galakanokis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The battery on my 6P has been terrible the past couple weeks. I recall reading on here other people were having issues. Any solutions?
No, it just sucks on this phone. You might squeeze a little more juice out of it by rooting and under clocking the cpu or running something like Greenify but it won't be a huge difference.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #4828
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for some reason today my fast charger for my Galaxy 6 Edge ceased the ability to fast charge. It can normal charge, but now instead of charging in 1-1.5hrs, it takes 6-8hrs or more. For a phone that already dies in record fast time, that's a problem.

Anyone hear of this happening, or better yet know how to fix this? I notice it happened only about a week after its latest upgrade, not sure if it's related or not. I already checked in "battery" to ensure I had the "fast charging" option was turned on. Thanks a tonne if you can help!!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #4829
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang, it's still doing it this morning too. I was hoping it'd just be a temporary thing. So weird how the fast charger still has the ability to charge, but not fast charge. What the heck?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #4830
keratosis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like both Android pay and Netflix are unavailable to me because I have an unlocked bootloader. Going to have to decide if they are worth it to me to factory reset my phone.
Nexus 5x
Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #4831
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Speaking of Android Pay, this is available in Canada May 31st

Quote:
Android Pay is finally set to launch in Canada on May 31st, according to sources that have reached out to MobileSyrup.

There are still, however, a number of questions that need to be answered regarding the long-awaited mobile payment service, including specific bank partners and how setting up the payment platform with a Canadian debit and credit cards will work.

For example, Apple Pay launched in Canada with support only for American Express cards back in November 2015, before expanding to additional cards and Canadian financial institutions in May 2016.

We do know that Android Pay will work with “major credit and debit cards in Canada” and that it can be used “anywhere contactless is accepted.”
http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/24/an...bile-payments/
Old 05-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #4832
DoubleK
First Line Centre

Exp:

Android pay got pushed out to my device a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #4833
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Android pay got pushed out to my device a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet.
It won't work till later when the banks flip the on switch and start allowing you to add your credit cards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #4834
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I've been able to pay using my phone and RBC Wallet app for a while now. What's the difference?
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #4835
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I've been able to pay using my phone and RBC Wallet app for a while now. What's the difference?
One app to rule all Android contact-less payments from all different financial institutions that participate.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #4836
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you need a data plan to use it?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #4837
Galakanokis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you need a data plan to use it?
I would assume so, yes. There would need to be a way to get the data, bank transfer info from your device to the bank. The technology is NFC but that is only between your phone and the terminal.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #4838
Galakanokis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So for some reason today my fast charger for my Galaxy 6 Edge ceased the ability to fast charge. It can normal charge, but now instead of charging in 1-1.5hrs, it takes 6-8hrs or more. For a phone that already dies in record fast time, that's a problem.

Anyone hear of this happening, or better yet know how to fix this? I notice it happened only about a week after its latest upgrade, not sure if it's related or not. I already checked in "battery" to ensure I had the "fast charging" option was turned on. Thanks a tonne if you can help!!
As far as I know there is a sensor in your phone and the charger that requires the proper handshake between the two for proper fast charging. Lots of things can break it. If you can try another charger and see what you get. If it is still not fast charging factory resetting your phone might work. Or contact Ssmsung support, they are actually pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #4839
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I would assume so, yes. There would need to be a way to get the data, bank transfer info from your device to the bank. The technology is NFC but that is only between your phone and the terminal.
I thought it was maybe just subbing in for my card, which obviously doesn't need data. So the phone would store everything your card does.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #4840
Galakanokis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I thought it was maybe just subbing in for my card, which obviously doesn't need data. So the phone would store everything your card does.
Good point, wasn't looking at it that way. You are probably right.