Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #3901
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Crashing' on HBO has been great. I think the season is over now though, after just 8 episodes. Funny stuff
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #3902
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

the wife and i tried bloodlines, but she got bored of it within the first half of the season.... so we stopped.

Now we are in the middle of season 2 of "the killing" which we are really enjoying.

I am also watching Love on netflix, which is not the greatest of shows, but i think i have a crush on the girl playing the main female role on the show (Gillian Jacobs from Commnity) so have been watching and am into season II. Wife didn't make it thru the 10 mins of the first episode before turning it off....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #3903
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Saw the first episode of Neil Gaiman's American Gods tonight. I would recommend. I have a feeling this is going to be a really good adaptation of his book.
Melted. My. Face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #3904
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
the wife and i tried bloodlines, but she got bored of it within the first half of the season.... so we stopped.

Now we are in the middle of season 2 of "the killing" which we are really enjoying.

I am also watching Love on netflix, which is not the greatest of shows, but i think i have a crush on the girl playing the main female role on the show (Gillian Jacobs from Commnity) so have been watching and am into season II. Wife didn't make it thru the 10 mins of the first episode before turning it off....
Holy cow- bored of Bloodline? I can't imagine. I couldn't stop watching it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #3905
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the problem with 13 Reasons Why is that every character is just completely unlikeable -- including the characters we are supposed to sympathize with (yes, including Hannah). They're all either nasty or annoying or moody or deceptive, almost to the point of parody. There's no one to cheer for. Well, the parents aren't bad, but obviously they aren't the focus of the show. Maybe I'm just too old for it.

Looking to sell your old iPhone or get a great deal buying a new one? Check out Orchard
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #3906
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I thought the first half of season 1 of bloodline was also boring but I heard that going in. Do yourself a favour and stick with it. It's totally worth it. So excited for season 3.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #3907
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Holy cow- bored of Bloodline? I can't imagine. I couldn't stop watching it.
I watched the first 3, got bored and stopped. About 7 months later, I said, what the hell, let's see if it gets better and I was hooked. I finished Season 2 in 2 sittings. Can't wait for Season 3 to come out.

Special thanks to Dion for making my new sig.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #3908
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think the problem with 13 Reasons Why is that every character is just completely unlikeable -- including the characters we are supposed to sympathize with (yes, including Hannah). They're all either nasty or annoying or moody or deceptive, almost to the point of parody. There's no one to cheer for. Well, the parents aren't bad, but obviously they aren't the focus of the show. Maybe I'm just too old for it.
So you mean it's realistic? Every person on the planet is unlikeable for various reasons.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #3909
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been contemplating Bloodlines, looks like it would be a good choice to start.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #3910
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Third and final season of The Leftovers premieres April 16. A teaser (no spoilers) is below.

A few episodes and I'm really liking the new season. The last, Kevin Sr. focused episode was great.

Fingers crossed they have a strong vision for where all of this is leading.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #3911
Strange Brew
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I've been contemplating Bloodlines, looks like it would be a good choice to start.
Really enjoyed season 1, just about to start season 2. It's a show where the setting really contributes to the overall feel of the show so if you find the Keys interesting you'll like it that much more IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #3912
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Now that Tax Season is over I've been catching up on some stuff I've got recorded.

If you arent watching Into The Badlands Season 2 you should be. Nick Frost in a stylistic Martial Arts themed TV show? Yes please!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #3913
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Really enjoyed season 1, just about to start season 2. It's a show where the setting really contributes to the overall feel of the show so if you find the Keys interesting you'll like it that much more IMO.
I agree. Added to the overall enjoyment of the show.

Apparently it is really tough to film there and almost made them cancel the filming of season 3. Thankfully they did not!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #3914
FireGilbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Netflix has announced they are producing and developing new series based on The Witcher fantasy novels which became well known through the epic video games. This has the potential to be very good:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/1...flix-announced
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #3915
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Just watched the first episode of 13 Reasons Why .... I don't understand the hype, I thought it was pretentious crap and just another teenage "woe is me" tale that's been done a million times before. pass.
Episode 1: Watched it and thought it was crap
Episode 2-3: Gave it another go since people kept talking about it. Got into it a bit and kept watching
Episodes 4-7: Pretty bored of it but too far in to stop now. Want to see how it plays out, but don't actually enjoy watching 90% of it.

That's where we're at now. Will finish at this point, but wish I never bothered in the first place.
I think the same people who love this show, are the kind of people who love listening to The Chainsmokers.
If that's not you, I don't recommend starting this show.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #3916
Makarov
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else watching Harlots? I was a bit skeptical going in but have really enjoyed it. Solid writing and acting all around. Interested to see where it goes.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #3917
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Episode 1: Watched it and thought it was crap
Episode 2-3: Gave it another go since people kept talking about it. Got into it a bit and kept watching
Episodes 4-7: Pretty bored of it but too far in to stop now. Want to see how it plays out, but don't actually enjoy watching 90% of it.

That's where we're at now. Will finish at this point, but wish I never bothered in the first place.
I think the same people who love this show, are the kind of people who love listening to The Chainsmokers.
If that's not you, I don't recommend starting this show.
Not a Chainsmokers fan, and didn't enjoy it per say, but I appreciated it. A good depiction of a difficult topic that is honestly portrayed is more impactful than some mindless fantasy show. Since there have been some apparent suicides following the release of this show, and schools are banning discussion of it, clearly it hits home with some. That sort of impression is what I look for in shows, more than just the same old mindless fluff sitcoms and such. At least it succeeded in that regard.

As for the mentions about characters being unlikeable - do people remember highschool? Who exactly was likeable in a hypothetical protagonist way. Kids are ####ed at that age. The fact that that held true in the show means it was accurate. I guess when some people turn on the tele they want to be transported to fantasyland where there is purely good/charismatic characters then morally corrupt, evil ones. Oft we forget that real life isn't that way. That's why I love shows where the characters are morally grey.

Some folks here sure love to sound against the grain, and make it known that they have some sort of hipster taste that (they believe) somehow puts them above everybody else, but why don't you try watching it without the popularity factor making it a preconceived write off, and instead going in with an open mind? Maybe that'll change in the last few eps. Helps to watch the whole thing before making conclusions. But seems like what other people say/think has a heavy influence on decisions you make and what you think. Congrats, you managed to lump people together and insult them, while setting yourself apart. Let it be known, you're one of the cool ones!

Want a cookie?

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-22-2017 at 04:05 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #3918
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Friend lent me the first two seasons of Game of Thrones. I knew I couldn't avoid it forever so I might as well jump on the hype train. I've already watched the first couple of episodes. It's pretty decent, but nothing has blown me away yet. I'll see where this goes.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 05-22-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #3919
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Some folks here sure love to sound against the grain, and make it known that they have some sort of hipster taste that (they believe) somehow puts them above everybody else, but why don't you try watching it without the popularity factor making it a preconceived write off, and instead going in with an open mind? Maybe that'll change in the last few eps. Helps to watch the whole thing before making conclusions. But seems like what other people say/think has a heavy influence on decisions you make and what you think. Congrats, you managed to lump people together and insult them, while setting yourself apart. Let it be known, you're one of the cool ones!

Want a cookie?
I went in not just with an open mind, but excited and expecting to like it. However, I'm in the camp of "gave it a try and gave up". For me the biggest problems were:

(a) In the episodes I watched (the first 3) the girl who killed herself was just off tonally in the tapes; she wasn't distraught, or in any way overly emotional beyond being snarky. The most jarring example of that was a throw-away line at the end of a rant where she says something like, "Oh, and ya, and don't forget: I'm still dead."

(b) None of the characters were interesting or fleshed out. They're all just one dimensional caricatures who exist solely of the traits needed to hurt the main girl, and I don't care about any of them, including the two main characters.

(c) 13 (essentially) 1 hour episodes. Because the tone was off and characters were uninteresting, I just didn't have it in me to force myself invest another 10 hours watching a show I had no interest in just in case it got good in the end. Life is too short, and there's too much other good TV out.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #3920
gasman
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default The Handmaid's Tale

Currently 2 episodes in on the The Handmaid's Tale. I wasn't sure at first, but after getting several recommendations I turned it on and it had me captivated from the first scene.

It is based on the Margret Atwood Book by the same name, I haven't read it, but the show so far is making me want to pick it up.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:

Tags
forged in fire