Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #1961
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
LOL, six minute mark:

Yah ahaha, Conan cracks me up. His GTA V review was all sorts of epic as well.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1962
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Can't be a great sign for Microsoft. Never want to see that much excess supply within 3 months of a product launch.

PS4 continues to sell out. Chapters released some online today and they were gone almost instantly.
Could this have something to do with all of the things that the Xb360 can do, like streaming video from your pc etc., that the XBone can't yet? I know that his is one of the things holding me back from getting the XB1.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #1963
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Could this have something to do with all of the things that the Xb360 can do, like streaming video from your pc etc., that the XBone can't yet? I know that his is one of the things holding me back from getting the XB1.
I think it is several factors:
  • MS built bad PR out of gate when they said that the new console won't support used games and then had to do a 180. Never fully recovered from that.
  • The console costs $100 more and they have been incapable of convincing people that the Kinect and all-in-one home entertainment capabilities are worth the price difference.
  • PS4 ended up with slightly better hardware and also got features that gamers care about (i.e. streaming to twitch) working out of gate. I think this is significant as usually the early adopters are the hardcore gamer.
  • MS did a better job of exclusives at launch, unfortunately, none of them are really console sellers. They really needed Titanfall ready at launch - Dead Rising 3, though a great game, I don't think is enough to move a $500 console. I guess they had Forza 5 as well which has quite a following, but is that enough?

Last edited by CubicleGeek; 01-24-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Forza 5
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #1964
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only really want the xbox one for the pip function. Is there a receiver that can do the same thing?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #1965
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I only really want the xbox one for the pip function. Is there a receiver that can do the same thing?
Some Denon and Onkyo receivers do this. The tech is called "InstaPrevue".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #1966
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Some Denon and Onkyo receivers do this. The tech is called "InstaPrevue".
'True enough. My Onkyo 818 does this and i can even select the size and location. Super handy when I feel like playing battlefield during intermissions or when duck dynasty is on.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #1967
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Holy ####, that's graphic. Was not expecting to see that, even I cringed a little.
There was several discussions when it first came out about whether it crossed some lines with how gory some of the death scenes are. It's a surprisingly dark game.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #1968
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I thought the gruesome death scenes weren't really necessary and didn't really add anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #1969
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

So starting to experience a bit of the extreme weardown that was apparent with the new DS4 controllers. Considering how I only played FIFA maybe 4 hours a week since the middle of December, seeing the left stick starting to fall apart is a little disheartening.

Looks like there hasn't been any official response from Sony. Might just have to find some rubber pads from Amazon to put over it.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #1970
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some of the PS4 demos I've seen around town have fairly beat up controllers, with entire portions of the rubber on the left stick cracked and/or missing. One or two also had what seemed like jammed or sticky shoulder buttons.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #1971
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm making me interested in the new version, maybe worth a double dib?

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4...x-o-1508613136

​Tomb Raider On PS4 Is More 'Definitive' Than On Xbox One

And… could it be? Is this console game running at 60 frames per second?
The PS4 sadly doesn't offer any app like FRAPS to tell me what frame rate my games are running, and my retail PS4 has copy protection so I can't capture video on my own. But over the last few years I've become something of a frame-rate obsessive, and I was all but certain that the game was running at 60fps, or at least close to it.

Shortly thereafter, the Xbox One version was halfway downloaded, enough to fire up the game and start comparing the two. I started it and… wait a minute. It still looked great, still had all the visual bells and whistles I'd seen on the PS4 version… but it was not running at 60fps. It was noticeably more sluggish, closer to 30fps.

My frame-rate obsession borders on unhealthy, so this stuff makes a difference to me. Will it matter to you? Well, it depends on how much you care about frame rate. I've already outlined why it matters to me that Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts all run at higher resolution on PS4 than on Xbox One. Jason's also weighed in on why talking about this kind of stuff is important. And hey, from our unscientific poll, it sounds like more of you guys care about frame rate than resolution. But your individual mileage may vary.
The Xbox One version certainly doesn't stink or anything. If I only had an Xbox One and played that version, I'd think it looked fine. But the difference is there, and it's evident when you put the games side by side. The PS4 version is noticeably smoother and as a result feels better to play.

Also interesting: both next-gen versions look better than last year's PC version in some respects. A couple of weeks ago, when we ran that IGN video detailing the new features in the Definitive Edition, a bunch of readers were quick to say "So, it's basically just the PC version on ultra settings, ported to consoles." Ah, but that's not the case.

Putting the two versions side by side, there are a number of differences. Most immediately noticeable is how much more alive the environments feel in the new version: Howling winds and low-hanging clouds blow through most areas, where in the PC version there was only open air and the occasional bit of fog. Trees in the Definitive Edition blow in the wind where on PC they stand still. In some places in the Definitive Edition, flocks of birds circle in the air, while on PC the air is empty.

The definitive edition also has much more high-contrast, dramatic lighting, and everything looks somehow heightened—every time I'd switch back to see a similar scene on PC things would look flat and less active.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #1972
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
So starting to experience a bit of the extreme weardown that was apparent with the new DS4 controllers. Considering how I only played FIFA maybe 4 hours a week since the middle of December, seeing the left stick starting to fall apart is a little disheartening.

Looks like there hasn't been any official response from Sony. Might just have to find some rubber pads from Amazon to put over it.
I've read about this happening too...but I've played the crap out of my PS4 (and my dualshock 4 controllers, as I use one for PC gaming) and have yet to encounter it.

...I can only assume the people running into this problem have some sort of stone-glazed thumbs or their sweat is a mild acid of sorts.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #1973
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granted it's a small sample size but neither me or my 4 friends have any issues with our controllers.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #1974
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

MS Bumping GPU Performance at the Expense of Kinect

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-p...inect-1583185/

Quote:
A less capable GPU does put the Xbox One at a disadvantage, but Microsoft has made the problem worse because of Kinect. The motion sensor reserves about 10 percent of GPU performance for itself, which breaks down to 8 percent for Kinect video, and 2 percent for Kinect voice. So you can understand why developers are struggling to deliver the same performance in the same game across Xbox One and PS4.
Wow, 10% dedicated to Kinect...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #1975
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Digital Foundry on Tomb Raider (not so?) Definitive Edition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis

CUTSCENE
Xbox One
Average FPS: 29.98fps

PS4
Average FPS: 53.36fps

GAMEPLAY
Xbox One
Average FPS: 29.84fps

PS4
Average FPS: 50.98fps
Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #1976
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not exactly stellar performance on either console for a port. I really liked the game (best Tomb Raider game to date IMO) and despite the lack of games available for both consoles at the present time I will probably pass on paying full retail just to play it again at a higher resolution.

Can't wait for some games that were developed primarily for the new consoles as I've been playing Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 and while it's a decent game the graphics are pretty average as these upscaled last gen games don't scream next gen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #1977
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
MS Bumping GPU Performance at the Expense of Kinect

Wow, 10% dedicated to Kinect...
Yeah, that 10% was debated a lot on the gaming forums back when it was leaked. There as a lot of talk about how "the Microsoft Cloud" computing mumbo jumbo would somehow compensate. Albert Penello (lead planner) from Microsoft then posted silly stuff on Neogaf and people mocked him for it:

"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their [hardware] skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious."

He hasn't posted again on Neogaf in a long time.

Interestingly, the rumor about them freeing up the Kinect resources seems tied to removing snap functionality (or making it optional so developers could get those few percentage points back). All rumors at this point, but we'll have to see what they try to do to close the gap. 8-10% helps a little but it isn't all that much considering the apparent difference at this stage - but it is certainly a start.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #1978
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's just the fact that it's posted on YouTube and the compression doesn't lend itself well to seeing the difference but...

... well, I don't see the difference. Yeah, the PS4 runs at a higher (albeit more unstable) frame-rate versus the steady 30FPS of the Xbox One, but I'm looking at the quality of the scenes and you don't really get the feeling one is better than the other.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #1979
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Picked up a vita today for $149.99 walking dead bundle. Not gonna lie, remote play is pretty sweet. Can't believe I didn't know about this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yup, Costco is indeed selling them for $150. Website and display shows $220 or $200 but rings up at the discounted price at the til.

GD me and my video game spending! Extra extra backup console? Why the not?
Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on this deal. Managed to grab one at Okotoks Costco last Friday and it's amazing. What a smoking deal, definite must-have if you have a PS+ membership, and the remote play for the PS4 is awesome. If anyone is still looking they had a ton of them available out there. Not sure about in town though.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1980
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not exactly stellar performance on either console for a port.
I never played it myself yet though I think I have it in my pile of Steam games to play. Interestingly, here are some benchmarks from back in the day. Note that the Xbone and PS4 have the Tressfx which is only available under "Ultimate Quality". Also the resolution doesn't line up perfectly for 1080p comparisons along with potential for other variations (texture quality, different AA, etc.)

Just some rough video card comparisons - but the consoles stack up a lot better than I would have thought to be honest. Maybe the whole "definitive edition/HD remake" will have some legs with this new console generation.