Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #1801
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

when you play "be a pro" you can say "pass it" and they will pass you the ball.

then when you wear a headset like me you look like a ratard because you're yelling at a video game to pass you the ball.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #1802
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
this may come off as a nearly psycho question... but for people who've held both ps3/ps4 and xbox 360/one controllers... do you notice the thumb stick and the distance from it to the face buttons? one reason i never played the ps3 was the controller was so small when my finger was resting on the face buttons (triangle square etc) it would be just so slightly rubbing against the right analog stick.

The ps4 controller looks a lot bigger and it seems there's a lot of room between the right analog stick and the face buttons. is this true of both xbone and ps4?
I never really had a problem with the PS3 controller, but the PS4 controller is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Everything about it just feels "right"
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #1803
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
this may come off as a nearly psycho question... but for people who've held both ps3/ps4 and xbox 360/one controllers... do you notice the thumb stick and the distance from it to the face buttons? one reason i never played the ps3 was the controller was so small when my finger was resting on the face buttons (triangle square etc) it would be just so slightly rubbing against the right analog stick.

The ps4 controller looks a lot bigger and it seems there's a lot of room between the right analog stick and the face buttons. is this true of both xbone and ps4?
The DS4 controller is markedly improved over the DS3 which was somewhat outdated. That said the XB1 controller is also improved and if you preferred the 360 controller over the DS3 you will still prefer the XB1 controller over the DS4 and vice versa. IMO the XB1 is a solid upgrade over the 360 controller which was the greatest controller to date. Sony has closed the gap but the placement of the sticks are still not as friendly for FPS as the XB1 sticks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #1804
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I read an interesting review of FIFA for Xbox One, you can use the Kinect voice controls to make substitutions, change tactics and change formations, all while playing the game. No need to hit pause and scroll through menus. That is a pretty fantastic feature. Is this something that Xbox One games will have an advantage over PS4 for the entire generation, or will PS4 have voice commands too eventually? That seems like it could be a big advantage, especially in sports games.
ps4 has a camera with voice commands too, not sure how well it will be used on ps4 games as the camera is not included (may be down the road)
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #1805
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
ps4 has a camera with voice commands too, not sure how well it will be used on ps4 games as the camera is not included (may be down the road)
One would think if cross-platform devs go to the trouble to include Kinnect compatibility, they'll do it for the PS4 camera as well
Old 12-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #1806
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of the 15 minutes spent with Playroom, I probably wouldn't have gotten the PS4 camera other than my sister using it for Just Dance.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #1807
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The DS4 controller is markedly improved over the DS3 which was somewhat outdated. That said the XB1 controller is also improved and if you preferred the 360 controller over the DS3 you will still prefer the XB1 controller over the DS4 and vice versa. IMO the XB1 is a solid upgrade over the 360 controller which was the greatest controller to date. Sony has closed the gap but the placement of the sticks are still not as friendly for FPS as the XB1 sticks.
Well really, for me, I loved the ps3 and ps2 contollers I felt the design is overall better. The only reason I liked the xbox controllers better was that the analog sticks were further away from the face buttons. From eagle eyeing it, it looks like the ps4 controller is actually more spaced out than the xb1.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #1808
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the XB1 has launched, it seems M$FT may have flipped the switch the 24hr checkin DRM on again momentarily even after claiming to shut it off previously. Whether this is widespread or not isn't known right now but this is not an isolated incident. Incident as well as reports of others were caught during a live Killer Instinct tournament.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...ent-61114.html

Since this issue is still happening on updated XB1 Microsoft definitely did not remove the DRM code as promised instead just disabled it likely to flip the switch on en mass when people become complacent and there is a large enough installed base that bad press no longer affects their bottom line and population growth projections.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1809
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought you had to have the disc in the system to play it anyways?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #1810
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Apparently the FBI has had the ability to monitor PC webcams with no user notification for years

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/new...-report-457483

Anyone honestly believe that the Kinect won't be a target?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #1811
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I thought you had to have the disc in the system to play it anyways?
There was a physical Killer Instinct disk release?

Anyhow, I'd imagine that is still Microsoft's vision/desire at some point down the line. They've talked publicly about how their vision of a fully digital online system is probably right but that it was just the wrong timing - that the "public simply wasn't ready for their vision of a fully digital system".

Some guy on Neogaf created this gif. If you know anything about what it references . . . could you imagine the crapstorm it would have caused? To have missed what Diago did in that instant - oh the humanity!

Last edited by chemgear; 12-17-2013 at 09:38 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #1812
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
or if you have a headset on voice commands should work but you still feel like a d-bad talking to your tv but maybe thats just me
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #1813
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Apparently the FBI has had the ability to monitor PC webcams with no user notification for years

Woopie doo...

they wont see anything worth while, maybe me being naked and masturbating will get them to shut it off? That is unless they're penn state alums or Catholic
Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #1814
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Now that the XB1 has launched, it seems M$FT may have flipped the switch the 24hr checkin DRM on again momentarily even after claiming to shut it off previously. Whether this is widespread or not isn't known right now but this is not an isolated incident. Incident as well as reports of others were caught during a live Killer Instinct tournament.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...ent-61114.html

Since this issue is still happening on updated XB1 Microsoft definitely did not remove the DRM code as promised instead just disabled it likely to flip the switch on en mass when people become complacent and there is a large enough installed base that bad press no longer affects their bottom line and population growth projections.
it was well known that the removal of the DRM was the day one patch, it shipped with the DRM and the 1st patch removed it...

so it's obviously a switch and could be brought back, one reason I went ps4
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #1815
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Well do you really think the FBI is going to be monitoring the average Joe? If you are running a drug cartel yeah you may want to turn off Kinect but honestly what would the average person be worried about? Every laptop, iMac, etc. these days comes with a built-in camera so I chalk this up as nothing PS fanboy fearmongering.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #1816
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it was well known that the removal of the DRM was the day one patch, it shipped with the DRM and the 1st patch removed it...

so it's obviously a switch and could be brought back, one reason I went ps4
I recently got $40 for trading in Dead Rising 3. Can you tell me what exactly am I supposed to be worried about?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #1817
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I was advise differently by some in this thread I was able to get a PS4 today. I made the decision largely because that was all that was available at the store today. While the Xbox might be the better choice for my gaming lifestyle I think I will be quite happy with the playstation.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1818
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both systems are great, you made a good choice
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #1819
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #1820
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So does all the media center stuff on Xbox One work in Canada? I know that's a huge reason why it's struggled so much in Europe compared to the PS4, since all the TV-centric stuff doesn't work over there