Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #3001
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

as someone who didnt play the 1st one, this is a pretty cool thing.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #3002
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
We're less than two weeks out from The Last of Us Remastered. I'm in for a double dip on what a lot of people say is the "Game of a Generation".

Oh, and in before the posts of "it's just a port", "it's over priced" or the always hilarious "I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p".
Not to piss on anyone's parade, but I've always thought the game, while good, is overrated. Not sure it says a lot about gaming's narrative ability when a fairly straightforward post apocolyptic story (not to mention taking huge elements from "The Road") is heralded as some sort of masterpiece of the medium. I also found a lot of the settings and environments to be somewhat bland and repetetive. In my mind the Uncharted series is better because its not trying to take itself so seriously.

Anyhow, I'm sure the PS4 version will look great, certainly worth a play.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #3003
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannigans law View Post
as someone who didnt play the 1st one, this is an absolute must have.
fyp
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #3004
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Not to piss on anyone's parade, but I've always thought the game, while good, is overrated.
That's cool. Though I disagree, you're not the first person online I've seem who has said that. I'm not overly concerned with the designation but my own personal experience with the game has certainly been great and memorable.

I am looking forward to the new Uncharted with you as well. Though the teaser trailer looks a lot darker than the past games.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #3005
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this zoomed in background comparison.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #3006
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never played TLOU so this is gonna be a real treat for me
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #3007
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

would anyone be willing to do a high level summary of where we stand regarding xbone v ps4 now that its ~6 months post launch? obviously there was a price difference at launch that has been rectified, but was just looking for any up to date feature comparisons regarding price, online cost, exclusive games that have come out, etc.

i did some googling but didn't find much that had been updated since launch.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #3008
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much has happened since launch.

PS4 launched MLB 14 and Infamous as exclusives, XBOX released Titanfall.

XBox had price drops and removed the kinect. PS4 actually raised their price in Canada.

Both systems are still lacking games. There is enough to keep you occupied but no must haves that really sell the system.

For both systems you are looking at spending ~$50 for online access. Personally I feel that PS+ is much better value than XBox Live though, especially if you also own a PS3 or Vita.

I doubt any further price drops occur, but you may want to wait for the fall for new bundles, and when a new batch of games are supposed to release, before buying either system.

Personally I still prefer the PS4, but at this point in time neither system is getting much play time.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #3009
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lately my Xbox One has been getting more time powered on, only because it's compatible with a Harmony remote, and the PS4 is not.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #3010
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PS4 has been dormant for awhile. No real intriguing games to play that I haven't already.

The WiiU on the other hand is getting a load of play time. Zelda Windwaker HD, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D, and lots more. Plus it's a bit cheaper now.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #3011
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Seems about right for the numbers, I bet loads of people are holding off buying the Xbox One now because of the coming Kinect removal. Shows you it wasn't a very popular thing even among Xbox loyalists compared to price.

Sales line up with vgchartz numbers
Wow...I had no idea the Wii U was kicking the Xbone around so dramatically

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #3012
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Wow...I had no idea the Wii U was kicking the Xbone around so dramatically
I believe that was due to the new Mario Kart release, it's probably a lot closer now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #3013
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

after using the ps4 a lot, and then trying to use an xbox one in bestbuy and eb games i just cringe. how could Ms screw this up so badly? i loved the 360, hated the ps3. what a total flip. the ps4s controller is nice and big, comfortable to hold and use. the xbone controller seems much more cramped by comparison, even though i think its only a tiny bit smaller than the 360 controller. i really like how the ps is setup too once its on and how you browse around.\

picked up a dual charging station too, a must have really. it holds the controllers and looks nice, while also keeping them juiced. the ps4 controllers battery life is a bit woeful but not having to buy batteries and deal with a giant battery pack is nice
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #3014
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Xbone numbers doubled in June versus May with the debut of the Kinectless version. Surprised it wasn't more than that with the pent up demand after their announcement of them removing the Kinect and price cutting it.

I wonder if they pre-emptively timed it hit just before NPD numbers today. Could PS4 still outsell them even with that pent up demand?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...to-price-drop/

Microsoft's Xbox One more than doubled in sales for the month of June the company announced.

This comes one day before the release of NPD numbers for the video game industry.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #3015
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

While considering double still only puts them at ~110k that would still be half of what the PS4 sold in May, and behind the Wii U's May numbers as well.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #3016
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
would anyone be willing to do a high level summary of where we stand regarding xbone v ps4 now that its ~6 months post launch? obviously there was a price difference at launch that has been rectified, but was just looking for any up to date feature comparisons regarding price, online cost, exclusive games that have come out, etc.

i did some googling but didn't find much that had been updated since launch.
i'd love to see another poll set up a year after the initial launch to get a true gauge on the comparison.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #3017
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
While considering double still only puts them at ~110k that would still be half of what the PS4 sold in May, and behind the Wii U's May numbers as well.
Yeah NPD numbers are leaking out and it looks like the is PS4 leading the way again.

Removing kinect and dropping the price isn't doing anything to catch them up. Maybe the Halo collection might make a dent late in the year but I wonder how long before they drop the Xbone price again. $50 or even $100.

Interestingly, software sales for many of the top 10 games is higher for the 360 than the Xbone like Watch Dogs and FIFA.

Last edited by chemgear; 07-17-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: More numbers coming out
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #3018
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Interestingly, software sales for many of the top 10 games is higher for the 360 than the Xbone like Watch Dogs and FIFA.
Don't think that's surprising at all. The 360 has a large user base already and without any titles to convince majority of people to make the switch early, they might as well enjoy the available titles on their 360's
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #3019
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If I was Sony I would probably offer a model similar to Blockbuster rent a game for $5/week, and then a Netflix like subscription for something like $15 a month.
good thing you're not sony because Blockbuster's model sent them to bankruptcy

btw, when was the last time you rented a game from Blockbuster?
$5/week wasnt even close to what i rented my last game there
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #3020
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
good thing you're not sony because Blockbuster's model sent them to bankruptcy

btw, when was the last time you rented a game from Blockbuster?
$5/week wasnt even close to what i rented my last game there
Sweet month old reply, and with attitude to boot.

I believe the last time I rented a game from Blockbuster it was $8 for 5 days? I could be wrong but it was right around that.

Gamefly costs either $22.95 a month or $15.95 a month, so no I don't think the prices I listed were unrealistic. They may be a tad low but at least I gave some input and wasn't a bit of a jerk about it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote