Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #2061
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Only one barometer of measurement that's ever mattered to me: the games. PS2 was a behemoth of exclusive games, no question. Almost every Xbox exclusive I picked up disappointed me. PS3 has a great library of exclusive games, and the line-up of mostly sequels and shooter on 360 bored me. At this point Xbox One isn't even on my radar - after two generations of nothing but disappointing games (to me), I have no interest at all. I don't have time or money to waste on things I might not like.

Perhaps a bit fanboy-ish but I'm a Nintendo supporter too, have owned every Nintendo console and handheld and really love a lot of their games. MS has simply never had any exclusive games I give a damn about while Nintendo and Sony have piles.

I know what I like and I know what I will like. Don't really care if it makes me a fanboy or whatever else.
at the start of last gen I preferred the xbox but they really left owners hanging in the last couple years. Compare the sony vs. microsoft exclusives over the last two years...its shocking how microsoft abandoned their hardware while sony put out some of the best games of the generation. The last of us is the most innovative thing that has happened to gaming in recent years because of story telling not waving your hands around you your living room and talking to your game system.

my opinion
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #2062
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm goolging like an idiot over here. Any reliable sources as to when we can expect 3D blu ray support for the Xbox One?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #2063
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
at the start of last gen I preferred the xbox but they really left owners hanging in the last couple years. Compare the sony vs. microsoft exclusives over the last two years...its shocking how microsoft abandoned their hardware while sony put out some of the best games of the generation. The last of us is the most innovative thing that has happened to gaming in recent years because of story telling not waving your hands around you your living room and talking to your game system.

my opinion
I get the impression (not fully researched) that Sony has more and better supported internal/3rd party studios than Microsoft. But Microsoft will probably moneyhat and buy out exclusivity in the short term as games begin to finish up like Titanfall.

And of course, you have the actual historical game releases for each platform. Apparently some people really like to wave their hands and yell at electronics. Spoiler for size.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #2064
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
I'm goolging like an idiot over here. Any reliable sources as to when we can expect 3D blu ray support for the Xbox One?
I haven't seen anything, here is the latest Microsoft update they posted themselves I believe - no mention of it I am afraid:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-on...getting-better

Xbox One Keeps Getting Better – Product Updates Coming

On February 11, the first update will be delivered to customers who sign into their Xbox One.

- The ability to see and manage your storage space. With this update, you will find it easy to find how much space your content takes up and better manage your content. You can also control your install lineup and more easily manage your download queue. We’ve separated My Games and My Apps into separate lists, so you can easily create separate queues for both. Now you can pick the order in which you want your content to load and we’ve added a boot progress indicator so you can better track updates while they load
- The battery power indicator is back! You can see it right on the home screen, so you can easily track how much battery life is left on your controller.
- And, you will be able to use your USB keyboard with your Xbox One.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #2065
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I get the impression (not fully researched) that Sony has more and better supported internal/3rd party studios than Microsoft. But Microsoft will probably moneyhat and buy out exclusivity in the short term as games begin to finish up like Titanfall.

And of course, you have the actual historical game releases for each platform. Apparently some people really like to wave their hands and yell at electronics. Spoiler for size.
That's a nice cherry picked list lol. The PS3 sure did have a lot of (####ty) games over the past 3 years. It's great if you love JRPGs though.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #2066
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are PS fanboys on the internet such an overly aggressive bunch? Reminds me of Canucks fans with their level of insecurity.

Anyway back to constructive discussion if you have a PS+ membership you need to download Outlast as it's free this month. Very creepy horror, survival game and has some genuine scares.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #2067
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
That's a nice cherry picked list lol. The PS3 sure did have a lot of (####ty) games over the past 3 years. It's great if you love JRPGs though.
It's not my list just something that I've seen around on gaming forums. I didn't realize that it might be "cherry picked", is it missing a bunch of exclusive retail games for one or the other?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #2068
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why are PS fanboys on the internet such an overly aggressive bunch? Reminds me of Canucks fans with their level of insecurity.

Anyway back to constructive discussion if you have a PS+ membership you need to download Outlast as it's free this month. Very creepy horror, survival game and has some genuine scares.
Enjoy your PC port console peasants. lol

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-05-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #2069
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^ Enjoy your PC port console peasants. lol
Actually, I'm afraid of the other way around to be honest.

Seems like we're getting some poor/lazy ports coming the other way to PC. Kinda like how the PS4 Tomb Raider can seem to push resolutions and frame rates near as well as the poor PC port edition could with a Titan (albeit with caveats and as a separate edition).

Or the locked resolution of Dark Souls, though at least Durante was able to fix that for us. Still, it shouldn't be such a hassle - looking forward to viable 4k PC gaming though.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #2070
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not my list just something that I've seen around on gaming forums. I didn't realize that it might be "cherry picked", is it missing a bunch of exclusive retail games for one or the other?
I would consider any game released on one console to be an exclusive even if it is also on PC. For the masses, a PC version of game is irrelevant.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #2071
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I'm afraid of the other way around to be honest.

Seems like we're getting some poor/lazy ports coming the other way to PC. Kinda like how the PS4 Tomb Raider can seem to push resolutions and frame rates near as well as the poor PC port edition could with a Titan (albeit with caveats and as a separate edition).

Or the locked resolution of Dark Souls, though at least Durante was able to fix that for us. Still, it shouldn't be such a hassle - looking forward to viable 4k PC gaming though.
What are you even talking about man? Outlast was developed for PC first and then ported. I fail to see how a developer's first time porting a game to PC back in Aug of 2012 and a year old game that was superior in every way to the 360/PS3 equivalent demonstrates "recent" bad PC ports. I mean you're comparing a year old PC version of Tomb Raider to a reworked version that just came out. No #### it looks/performs better.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #2072
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:

You must have a short memory.

It's the exact same way the majority of xbox360 fanboys carried themselves during the last generation, and that's not even debatable.

I'm glad the Xbone is consistently getting sh*t on lately when being compared to PS4.

Xbone isn't on my radar - I have no stake in it. I have a PS4, and I'll get a WiiU and build a high end gaming PC before I even consider getting an Xbone. But you can be sure I'm enjoying all the hate and trolling you xbone fanboys are being subjected too right now.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2073
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

I see the myth of the reasonable fanboy persists.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #2074
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are you even talking about man? Outlast was developed for PC first and then ported. I fail to see how a developer's first time porting a game to PC back in Aug of 2012 and a year old game that was superior in every way to the 360/PS3 equivalent demonstrates "recent" bad PC ports. I mean you're comparing a year old PC version of Tomb Raider to a reworked version that just came out. No #### it looks/performs better.
Ahhh, I think there is a misunderstanding. I did not realize your "^^" was in reference to Outlast (my post hopped in between that post). I wasn't talking about it at all and frankly my choice of Tomb Raider was a poor example.

My concern is that PC games (ports or otherwise) aren't being fully optimized or modified to make full use of the platform. The frame rate lock and poor textures of Dark Souls is a better example of this. As well as the recent Need for Speed Rivals PC version frame rate silliness (locked at 30 fps but if you unlock it behind the scenes - the game speed increases to match).
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #2075
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ahhh, I think there is a misunderstanding. I did not realize your "^^" was in reference to Outlast (my post hopped in between that post). I wasn't talking about it at all and frankly my choice of Tomb Raider was a poor example.

My concern is that PC games (ports or otherwise) aren't being fully optimized or modified to make full use of the platform. The frame rate lock and poor textures of Dark Souls is a better example of this. As well as the recent Need for Speed Rivals PC version frame rate silliness (locked at 30 fps but if you unlock it behind the scenes - the game speed increases to match).
Ah my bad. I was wondering where the heck that was coming from based off my post lol. Even still I wouldn't say either of those games are representative of PC ports. I mean, Need for Speed was just a terrible game regardless of what platform you played it on. There are lots of recent examples of good PC ports like DMC4, BL2 and Metal Gear Rising.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-05-2014 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #2076
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah my bad. I was wondering where the heck that was coming from based off my post lol. Even still I wouldn't say either of those games are representative of PC ports. I mean, Need for Speed was just a terrible game regardless of what platform you played it on. There are lots of recent examples of good PC ports like DMC4, BL2 and Metal Gear Rising.
No worries, sorry for creating any confusion on my side. Here is to hoping for more of the later (good games) and less of the former (crappy games/ports).
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #2077
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Awww, look at master race getting along!
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #2078
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
Awww, look at master race getting along!
I should just repost that monkey knife fight picture.

Edit:

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-05-2014 at 11:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #2079
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just read an article that said the Xbox1 was responsible for the recent civil unrest in Thailand.

If that's the case then PS4 is the way to go with all its 1080P's and high frames to rate.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #2080
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Just read an article that said the Xbox1 was responsible for the recent civil unrest in Thailand.

If that's the case then PS4 is the way to go with all its 1080P's and high frames to rate.
Agreed. I have both systems and try to be neutral but it's hard to support XB1 when Microsoft is the main contributor to global warming and PS4's have been know to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: