Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2023, 11:08 PM   #2021
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved it. My son wanted to watch it tonight but I was reluctant because we're only half way through Andor. I'm the type of guy who has to finish one book or tv series before starting a new one.

I enjoyed the 1st episode. Now I'm mad that we have to wait a week for the next episode.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:12 PM   #2022
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I loved it. My son wanted to watch it tonight but I was reluctant because we're only half way through Andor. I'm the type of guy who has to finish one book or tv series before starting a new one.

I enjoyed the 1st episode. Now I'm mad that we have to wait a week for the next episode.
They know they have us...so they're going to string us along mercilessly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 06:43 AM   #2023
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was okay with the “space pirates” just looking like they were ripped straight out of the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie until their leader was some very questionably bad prosthetic green algae beard guy. That looked like something out of Spaceballs, come on.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:54 AM   #2024
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I was okay with the “space pirates” just looking like they were ripped straight out of the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie until their leader was some very questionably bad prosthetic green algae beard guy. That looked like something out of Spaceballs, come on.
Haha now I wish their captain turned out to be Pizza The Hut
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #2025
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I dont know what the thinking there was.

I let the 'Pirates' who looked like Disneyland Cast members on their lunch break slide, but the head pirate? Oof...

The Pirate King or whatever was even an established actor, maybe they couldnt get him for the whole day so they dressed up a Christmas tree that they could shake around on set and then have the actor just ADR some lines in studio later?

Like I said, there were a few jarring moments with the effects which I'd only mention if they were...really out there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #2026
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The aliens in the OT were significantly worse looking than pirate tree. It's better than lucas-grade CGI

Since they're going back to the puppet aesthetic in this series (i.e. grogu and the babus) I don't have an issue with characters looking a bit prothetic-like.

The opening 10 minutes was weak, but the rest was pretty solid
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:07 AM   #2027
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall the episode felt like it was written by a bunch of 12-year old kids with ADHD.

We open with a flashback of the Mandalorian getting his first helmet and joining the creed, but wait! It's interrupted by a giant crocodile attack! It looks pretty grim for our Mandalorian friends and it looks like our main character is about to get eaten when suddenly in swoops the Mandalorian to save the day! I guess it wasn't a flashback after all so it was narratively pointless.

Then he re-iterates what we already know, that he has to go to Mandalore and take a bath in the mines water to be allowed back in to the creed. And Mandalore is all bombed and crystallized or something so it's dangerous to go there for reasons. So he decides that he needs to bring a droid along with him for no reason, but not just any droid, he will only accept the one that tried to kill Grogu many years ago. So he goes and re-activates that droid and it tries to kill Grogu. They are not able to fix him without a new memory chip which is very difficult to find.

So he sets out to find a new memory chip from somewhere? No, he doesn't, he just sets off to the Mandalorian system without the droid. But not before getting ambushed by cartoon-y space pirates (that even shout "avast!") -- uh-oh , they're in a target lock, how will he escape? He just flies away real fast, don't worry.

Now we are in the Mandalorian system, but not at Mandalore, he went to another place where Bo Katan sits and pouts on a random stone throne all day by herself cause her crew abandoned her. But I guess she knows how to get in to the mines on Mandalore, which is partly why we're here -- I'm guessing it's mostly to give a half-baked explanation on why she's written out the rest of the season.

This whole "on a quest to redeem myself in the mines of Mandalore" thing is just not very compelling, especially because the audience would see it as dumb and pointless. Hopefully it's not the focus of the whole season...
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #2028
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Really doesn't make any sense either, as these are space pirates, and in no way come into contact with significant amounts water or algae. It's like they had some leftover CGI and prosthetics from the cutting room floor of the latest PotC film and decided to throw it in to save on budget, despite the fact that it in no way actually fits the theme.

I love this show generally, but this is just dumb...and you know these pirates will come back for revenge at a really opportune time in the future and bust into a random scene - like the Kool-Aid man - and totally wreck whatever tension is there.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #2029
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

How would you guys design the space pirates, and would it be any less corny?
Old 03-02-2023, 02:25 PM   #2030
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I definitely would not lean so hard into the pirate theme. Star Wars has consistently done a good job of giving us scoundrel types without them being super corny.

Even the "Pirate King" title is corny. Not sure why we are getting another themed gang here. It was a pretty bad idea in Bobba Fett with the Vespa kids.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:25 PM   #2031
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The actor on the right is the Space Pirate Captain. Maybe give him an eye-patch?

Done.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #2032
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Overall the episode felt like it was written by a bunch of 12-year old kids with ADHD.

We open with a flashback of the Mandalorian getting his first helmet and joining the creed, but wait! It's interrupted by a giant crocodile attack! It looks pretty grim for our Mandalorian friends and it looks like our main character is about to get eaten when suddenly in swoops the Mandalorian to save the day! I guess it wasn't a flashback after all so it was narratively pointless.

Then he re-iterates what we already know, that he has to go to Mandalore and take a bath in the mines water to be allowed back in to the creed. And Mandalore is all bombed and crystallized or something so it's dangerous to go there for reasons. So he decides that he needs to bring a droid along with him for no reason, but not just any droid, he will only accept the one that tried to kill Grogu many years ago. So he goes and re-activates that droid and it tries to kill Grogu. They are not able to fix him without a new memory chip which is very difficult to find.

So he sets out to find a new memory chip from somewhere? No, he doesn't, he just sets off to the Mandalorian system without the droid. But not before getting ambushed by cartoon-y space pirates (that even shout "avast!") -- uh-oh , they're in a target lock, how will he escape? He just flies away real fast, don't worry.

Now we are in the Mandalorian system, but not at Mandalore, he went to another place where Bo Katan sits and pouts on a random stone throne all day by herself cause her crew abandoned her. But I guess she knows how to get in to the mines on Mandalore, which is partly why we're here -- I'm guessing it's mostly to give a half-baked explanation on why she's written out the rest of the season.

This whole "on a quest to redeem myself in the mines of Mandalore" thing is just not very compelling, especially because the audience would see it as dumb and pointless. Hopefully it's not the focus of the whole season...
Sometimes it's good to have a show where you just don't have to think hard, at all. And the exposition is spoon fed to you.

As long as it's better than the writing of BOBF we'll be alright

Bo Katan tapping out of the game to exile herself on an outpost and helping direct Mando feels odd

I smell an upcoming betrayal to try and claim the Saber from the fringe cult Mandalorian

The insistence on his "friend" Droid is odd. Did they think there was a fanclub for that Droid, and thet were doing fan service reviving him?
Old 03-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #2033
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I Googled "Star Wars space pirate" and this was one of the first results, literally from an official Star Wars comic that looks way cooler and less corny:

A lot better than whatever the hell they were going for here:

Spoiler!
Old 03-02-2023, 02:36 PM   #2034
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I Googled "Star Wars space pirate" and this was one of the first results, literally from an official Star Wars comic that looks way cooler and less corny:

Spoiler!
He looks like Oscar the Grouch after he finally snaps and decides to apply himself in life and take vengeance upon his enemies.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #2035
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
I'll admit, looking at a photo... it's pretty bad

A Knights of ren look would've been more suitable to this particular universe and show
Old 03-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #2036
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought the first episode was just okay. Didn't really get me too eager for next week's episode.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #2037
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Until she took off the helmet and revealed it was a teenage girl.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #2038
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
Maybe they just watched true detective S1?

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #2039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sounds like the Rogue Squadron movie is officially cancelled by Disney.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:15 PM   #2040
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sounds like the Rogue Squadron movie is officially cancelled by Disney.
Maybe Patty just didnt wish hard enough or Pedro was otherwise engaged.