Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #141
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Any video of this?
They work just fine, believe me. Only problem is that I don't think we have the necessary room on roads like 17th Avenue to afford a huge backup it will create.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #142
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They work just fine, believe me. Only problem is that I don't think we have the necessary room on roads like 17th Avenue to afford a huge backup it will create.
That's exactly it. Our city's ****ed by backlogs waiting to get onto deerfoot as it is.

Also, one of our major problems here is people not getting up to speed and then trying to merge at 50 - 70k. This would make things even worse, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #143
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The metering is all over Phoenix on the major freeways as well. The idea is it reduce the congestion and backups on the freeway by metering and evening out the inflow traffic. So while it causes a backup on the on ramp, it should help keep the main freeway moving better.

Don't know if it would work here, but it is something that has to have been, or should be looked at.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #144
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Any insight as to how much influence the Stampede board has over civic decision making (I've heard extreme rumour-mongering but curious about your opinion) and/or is the city involved in the new arena plans for the Flames?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #145
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Any insight as to how much influence the Stampede board has over civic decision making (I've heard extreme rumour-mongering but curious about your opinion) and/or is the city involved in the new arena plans for the Flames?
I'd imagine he'd be obligated to say they have zero influence, eh?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #146
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
On the LED Pilot - here's the report that went to the Committee on Transportation and Transit recently.

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...3074819772.PDF
I can imagine. Tell them to come to CITE in April. It's in Calgary this year. I, along with my counterpart at the CoE will be presenting on the LED retrofit in Edmonton.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #147
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Is there any ongoing talks with neighbouring municipalities about further annexation?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #148
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Is there any ongoing talks with neighbouring municipalities about further annexation?
The last annexation round was quite recent. The biggest intermunicipal issue right now is the Calgary Metropolitan Plan. Not sure where that's going to lead really.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #149
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I'd imagine he'd be obligated to say they have zero influence, eh?
unless he specifically had an OPINION on the matter... heheh

one could surmise that possible there could be that kind of potential or something or other
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #150
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, the Deerfoot is not municipally controlled? Why not? Bunk?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #151
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
No more influence than any other non-profit in the city. Haven't heard such rumours.

The Flames have had a few meetings with the Mayor over the past couple years, but have not yet presented a formal arena proposal.

http://blog.calgarymayor.ca/search/l...ccountability/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #152
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

How do we go about getting a once a week food truck convention in the belt line on say Wednesday nights? I've talked to food truck owners and they stated the city places limitations on such things.

I feel that it would greatly add to the vibrancy of the streets. Every Wednesday all year, my suggestion Rouvelle Sq on 17 Th ave and 1st.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #153
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Wait, the Deerfoot is not municipally controlled? Why not? Bunk?
I suppose it's simply considered a segment of the QE2, which is a provincial highway. No need for it to be different because it runs through the city. Freeways are very, very expensive to maintain - no one really wants it.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #154
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure when, but the road at some point was owned by the City before it was transferred to the province.

When I last lived in Calgary the plan was to transfer the freeway back to the City in 2013, but I think a lot of that was supposed to be linked to the completion of Stoney Trail, which has obviously not been completed.

Last edited by V; 01-02-2013 at 11:00 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #155
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, I don't know much about this - I'll look into it. I suspect it has to do with Ring Road access?
From what I heard, the idea was to limit traffic so that the developer could sell the land for more. This was straight out of Pootman's mouth. Even the developer uses this as a sales pitch on their website:

http://timberlineestates.ca/faq.bpsx

As far as I am concerned, this is simply wrong. They are taking away a major road. How often does the city simply cut off a road?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #156
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose it's simply considered a segment of the QE2, which is a provincial highway. No need for it to be different because it runs through the city. Freeways are very, very expensive to maintain - no one really wants it.
You sure? Towns are not responsible for highways, but when they get city status the highways become their responsibility. Why would the Deerfoot be different?

I'm not sure how this applies to the TransCanada.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #157
Cal
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm not sure when, but the road at some point was owned by the City before it was transferred to the province.

When I last lived in Calgary the plan was to transfer the freeway back to the City in 2013, but I think a lot of that was supposed to be linked to the completion of Stoney Trail, which has obviously not been completed.
Their link is broken, but I believe it pointed to here:

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

Quote:
The present Lower Springbank Road access to the area via the TUC (Glenmore Trail) will be eliminated in the future. Parcels directly accessing Lower Springbank Road will be required to use the internal road network upon redevelopment and perhaps sooner if the intersection of Lower Springbank Road and Glenmore Trail is eliminated. The present 69 Street / Glenmore Trail at-grade access will ultimately be a grade separated interchange. Lower Springbank Road will be eliminated from the TUC at the discretion of The Province of Alberta and will, in any case, be eliminated upon construction of Stoney Trail. Ultimately the connection of Slopeview Drive SW and 85 Street SW to Lower Springbank Road will be terminated.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #158
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You sure? Towns are not responsible for highways, but when they get city status the highways become their responsibility. Why would the Deerfoot be different?

I'm not sure how this applies to the TransCanada.
If my memory seerves regarding a conversation with Alberta Transportation, The Klein government took back Deerfoot as part of the developing the canamex route ( mexico to Alaska). This allowed the province to tackle the traffic lights at 130 AVE SE and McKenzie town and otehr issues.

The South deerfoot extention was also part of this plan but I cannot remember if that was before or after the province took back the road.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2766.htm

Now That the CANAMEX goal has been reached, the province wants to unload deerfoot
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #159
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I can't stand that line of thinking. Ultimately you as your own being of flesh, blood, and mind decides if you are going to drink and drive. And since the cab shortage is notoriously well known in Calgary I can argue it should actually force people to think about how they are getting home if they plan on having a few.
doesn't matter if you like it or not, having no available cabs on weekends is pretty much guaranteed to lead to an increase in drunk driving. if you have someone visiting the city, just moved here, or just plain forgot about the abysmal taxi service, do you want to take the chance on them making the right decision after they're 6 pints deep and wanting to head home? it's a situation that can be avoided entirely if the city just gets their #### together and solves this issue. i'm honestly surprised that groups like MADD haven't been pressuring Calgary on this
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #160
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
doesn't matter if you like it or not, having no available cabs on weekends is pretty much guaranteed to lead to an increase in drunk driving. if you have someone visiting the city, just moved here, or just plain forgot about the abysmal taxi service, do you want to take the chance on them making the right decision after they're 6 pints deep and wanting to head home? it's a situation that can be avoided entirely if the city just gets their #### together and solves this issue. i'm honestly surprised that groups like MADD haven't been pressuring Calgary on this
It's because MADD thinks along the same lines as Bigtime.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple