Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #1661
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm guessing they're banana plugs. Do they look like this? They make plugging in speaker wires very easy.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #1662
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

For ceiling mounting a projector on a popcorn ceiling, what are some good tips?

I jumped on this projector: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran most of the calculations based on the link that Fuzz posted earlier.

The cast range is pretty darn close to a track light. My ceiling is a popcorn ceiling and I have no idea how to find a floor joist as the stud finder is just throwing weird info. I was thinking possibly going with toggle bolts over wall anchors, but unsure if there's a specific one or type that makes more sense?

I've used them for mounting a shower bar on a wall, but never ceiling. I'll use metal ones for sure (plastic snaps), but unsure if there are other things I need to be aware of screwing things into a ceiling.

-----

I also grabbed this ceiling mount, but after looking at it, it seems way too long at 13-15". Including the projector, it's basically going to stick out more than a foot and a half from my ceiling which feel a little low and perhaps only around 9-10 ft high. With It seems like a great mount, but I'm worried it's too long for my ceiling.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought this one as well which is supposed to stick out 9 inches or probably just over a foot.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My screen starts at around 3" from the ceiling and is 39" tall x 69" wide which is the maximum for the mantle (actual screen hardware width is 79.5"). Fuzz had mentioned that with a low profile mount, the results might not be great. I'm more concerned that with the regular profile mount (basically 2' from 5' away) that the projector might block the screen.

Is this an actual issue? Or is it negligible when sitting on the floor in the family room.

The other main reason I'm leaning towards the low profile is because my family room is connected to the kitchen, so I am assuming that if I want to see something while in the kitchen that if I'm standing up, the 2' regular mount with projector would block the screen slightly from that viewing perspective.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #1663
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For finding a ceiling joist, you mentioned a track light. There is a good chance the junction box is attached to the joist. If you can easily pull the light down and look in the box, you can find the joist and orientation. They should be spaced 16" apart.

I don't think the projector will be in the way unless you go with the long mount. I went with this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Universal...dp/B01013QA86/

I was able to remove one articulation section(it's not perfectly removable, but I did get it secure) to reduce the total length a bit because my ceilings are under 8 ft in the basement, and the extra articulation seemed pointless. They all have a bit off vertical offset.

Spoiler!

Also, if the top of the screen is only 3" below the ceiling, you will want your projector as close to the ceiling as possible. Yours looks to have 1" offset at that distance, so you really want the centre of your lens is 4" below the ceiling. Mine is about 6" even with that mount. So you will have to tilt the projector a bit and use keystone adjustment to keep your mage square. It's not ideal, because pixels get remapped, but it isn't a deal breaker. With the long mount it might even be beyond the range of adjustment.

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-02-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #1664
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at doing a new build - hoping to crowd source some ideas first.

Won't be developing the basement immediately, so I'll be losing my home theatre setup. The plan for now is to use the bonus room, with say a 65-85" TV, and then eventually do a full home theatre in the basement again. I would still like to wire it for at least 5.1.

Here's the floorplan for the area:

Wondering what the best option for audio is?
- rough-in conduit for wiring that I can fish cable through after and ceiling mount speakers?
- rough-in conduit for wall-mount (Rears are on an outside wall so I'm not sure I want to go that route). Could always have the speaker outlets near the electrical sockets then run wire up the wall or do freestanding or bookshelf speakers
- in-ceiling speakers? It's a tray ceiling, so would likely do 4 (one in each corner for the tray). Downside of that is rear speakers would be slightly in front of the couch.
- Forget the whole thing and do a 2.1 setup with a soundbar, which I've been vocally against in this thread lol.

Thoughts?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #1665
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just had a quick question for the home theater gurus on here. I am looking at upgrading to a 2.1 4k TV in the near future, and my current receiver does not support hdmi 2.1. I'd like to look at putting my PS5 using hdmi 2.1 directly into the TV, then using the eArc output on the TV to direct sound to the receiver.

I know that will work, but the question I have is will the inputs into the receiver such as my Switch or Xbox One be able to use that same arc Hdmi cable as an output signal to display the image from those connections on the new TV while outputting sound through the receiver like it currently does?

Essentially what I'm wondering is, does the eArc connection work as both an input and an output depending on what system I'm currently using.

I know this is kind of a jumble of information, so if anyone has any questions or needs something clarified, let me know.
Darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #1666
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
Just had a quick question for the home theater gurus on here. I am looking at upgrading to a 2.1 4k TV in the near future, and my current receiver does not support hdmi 2.1. I'd like to look at putting my PS5 using hdmi 2.1 directly into the TV, then using the eArc output on the TV to direct sound to the receiver.

I know that will work, but the question I have is will the inputs into the receiver such as my Switch or Xbox One be able to use that same arc Hdmi cable as an output signal to display the image from those connections on the new TV while outputting sound through the receiver like it currently does?

Essentially what I'm wondering is, does the eArc connection work as both an input and an output depending on what system I'm currently using.

I know this is kind of a jumble of information, so if anyone has any questions or needs something clarified, let me know.
Yes it should. My Onkyo receiver does anyway.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #1667
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yes it should. My Onkyo receiver does anyway.
Perfect, thanks for the quick response.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #1668
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Looking at doing a new build - hoping to crowd source some ideas first.

Won't be developing the basement immediately, so I'll be losing my home theatre setup. The plan for now is to use the bonus room, with say a 65-85" TV, and then eventually do a full home theatre in the basement again. I would still like to wire it for at least 5.1.

Here's the floorplan for the area:

Wondering what the best option for audio is?
- rough-in conduit for wiring that I can fish cable through after and ceiling mount speakers?
- rough-in conduit for wall-mount (Rears are on an outside wall so I'm not sure I want to go that route). Could always have the speaker outlets near the electrical sockets then run wire up the wall or do freestanding or bookshelf speakers
- in-ceiling speakers? It's a tray ceiling, so would likely do 4 (one in each corner for the tray). Downside of that is rear speakers would be slightly in front of the couch.
- Forget the whole thing and do a 2.1 setup with a soundbar, which I've been vocally against in this thread lol.

Thoughts?
I just did a 5.2.4 Dolby atmos system with 120” projector and screen and it’s amazing. I’d run conduit to all spots just in case you want to upgrade later. Don’t go 2:1
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #1669
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have a friend that would like to be able to control their TV and stuff via voice Alexa or Google Home.

As long as the device is IR is all I need an IR blaster like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/BroadLink-Cabl.../dp/B0872PPSGM

It seems the newer Shaw boxes don't use IR but he has MS and isn't able to press any remote button so hopefully he's got an older box.

Anything else I need?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #1670
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an interesting issue. Was gifted a marantz amplifier from the 70s but have a more modern receiver I'd like to continue to use as well. Ideally I'm looking for a switcher to select which amp is going to power my stereo speakers. These switch devices seem kind of expensive and / or not common at all. My speakers themselves support bi-wiring but think I'd start a fire that way lol. Any thoughts?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #1671
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use one of these, then either my wife or I can send sound to kitchen or outdoor speakers. Works great.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8231
Old 05-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #1672
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I use one of these, then either my wife or I can send sound to kitchen or outdoor speakers. Works great.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8231
Awesome, thanks! I'd looked at that but wasn't sure if it'd support two amps. Appears it does!
Old 05-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #1673
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, 2 ins and 2 outs!
Old 05-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #1674
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I ordered that thing but the connections are miniscule! I ended up getting something else that has proper plugs
Old 05-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #1675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, sorry...ya. I use them for fairly long wires so went with a smaller gauge and they do not power huge speakers. But I do remember that being annoying, now that you mention it.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #1676
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

To those who are more home theater savvy than myself I am having some issues with my Arc setup. I recently purchased an x900h and would like to run the app sound through my receiver a str dh550 the hdmi cable is in the arc input on both devices but I'm unable to get tv sound though the receiver sound system. Is there something basic I could be missing setting wise on either of this devices? Is a high speed hdmi cable required? Also what audio output should my receiver be on when using using arc setting. I've gone through both manuals and I'm not seeing anything that sticks out so I'd be open to some ideas.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #1677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need an ARC HDMI cable.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #1678
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Make sure you’ve got a high speed HDMI cable (2.1 non-directional, they’re cheap on Amazon).
2. Turn on the Control for HDMI or BRAVIA Sync on both devices.
3. Set the ARC/eARC or TV Audio Input Mode of the audio system to On or Auto.

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00020051

The amp will have a TV Audio input or similar, it should be on that when using ARC.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #1679
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This could go in the home improvement thread but it probably works best here.

I am doing a DIY project in my basement on an exterior wall which had an old larger style electric fireplace. I have replaced that with a new linear fireplace and since the walls are removed I was thinking about installing speakers.

There is space for a center speaker as there is a small bump out where the old fireplace is but the side speakers (wrong terminology) would be butting up against or close to the foundation wall as the framing is only 2x4s. I will need to redo the vapor barrier as it is but everything I read is don't do in wall speakers (generally) but avoid doing them in exterior walls with limited clearance.

So my other thought was I could wall mount some speakers on the outside of the wall whether they be bookshelf speakers on a mount or speakers meant for that purpose. Are there any good suggestions for my set up/situation.

I can provide more details if they are required. Budget perhaps around $1000.

I will be putting up cement board and some stacked stone tile across the entire wall but not sure that makes a difference aside from wanting to do this right. Picture below, TV will sit somewhere above the fireplace. Only needs minimal clearance with electric fireplace.

Last edited by red sky; 08-28-2021 at 08:00 AM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #1680
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

red sky is offline   Reply With Quote