Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #2821
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
That's why it's important to use a trusted, reputable advisor with a good portfolio of work if you are not an SME yourself, and being familiar with your wheelhouse so you can see the highs and lows coming and know about industry events. It's also why I said get familiar with 2-3 industries. I agree, all eggs in one basket is not good.

I think the issue with lack of diversification was the boom rode too long and people got complacent, and were thinking too much within a singular vein of commodity investments. The 2008/09 should have been a bit of a warning shot that markets can take an impact - even if it wasn't directly related to O/G. 2014 was the real shock to that singular investment strategy.

There is still much potential in commodities and energy - but it requires learning about things like renewables, mining, and other upcoming integrated companies that may also include things like big data, tech, GIS, etc.
Complacent and just comfortable with what they know. I can look at any set of financial statements of any oil and gas company and tell you 10x more about the company than I could of a financial services or manufacturing company and my background is finance and accounting. Add to the fact that my peer group are mostly senior management level in other oil and has companies and its easy to buy into the hype of each other. So while I can make better investment decisions about energy companies, it still doesn't take away the pervasive risk of commodity prices collapsing. People like investing in what they know and that can be a problem.

Luckily ETFs can really provide a good means to diversify without needing to know too much about specific companies.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #2822
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ironic thing is that this is probably the time to load up your portfolio with commodities and energy.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #2823
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The ironic thing is that this is probably the time to load up your portfolio with commodities and energy.
I have broken my rule on this cycle and in October and November I was backing the truck up on alot of energy companies. They were comically under valued that I just couldn't resist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #2824
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ive tried to pay little attention to the SP of CBDT lately, some interesting stuff on this latest interview. Landon always asks some good questions, interesting one to note is the blackout period ending March 10th. He also mentions his investment team which im assume is Barclays because they've been buying up alot of shares no matter the price ever since the fall from grace.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj1jp2A1gWs
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #2825
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBDT, wth is going on today?
Add SCR to that fffff

Last edited by bluejays; 03-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #2826
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Looks like another day split between spec stocks falling and steady stocks staying steady.

So often I kick myself for being too cautious when it comes to these little stocks with (apparently) huge upside. Then we have weeks like the last 2 and I'm reminded why thats not such a bad idea.

Wonder if we'll see a big stimulus bump later this month. One last gap before a pop maybe.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #2827
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang! Dat some ugly red!
MJK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #2828
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man the past two weeks have been absolutely crushing. Sea of Red every single day. I bought NNMD Feb 19 for $14 and its below $8 today. SCR splits then plummets. Bought every dip of CBDT

I am no good at stocks
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #2829
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be buying tomorrow and putting the rest of my cash to work, my advisor thinks this dip is temporary and we should have an overall strong market heading into the summer.
MJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #2830
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gonna buy more in this dip for sure. Everywhere is a bloodbath today, some good deals to be had.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #2831
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
Ive tried to pay little attention to the SP of CBDT lately, some interesting stuff on this latest interview. Landon always asks some good questions, interesting one to note is the blackout period ending March 10th. He also mentions his investment team which im assume is Barclays because they've been buying up alot of shares no matter the price ever since the fall from grace.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj1jp2A1gWs

Does the March 10th date indicate we’ll see downward price pressure up until then likely? Sounded to me that there was an implication some early shareholders will try to profit take then?
Old 03-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #2832
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought another 1200 shares of CBDT, averaged down over 50 cents! I'm happy today haha.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #2833
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just transferred more money to my TFSA to buy on the dip but I'll probably just buy boring stonks/ETFs
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #2834
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I have broken my rule on this cycle and in October and November I was backing the truck up on alot of energy companies. They were comically under valued that I just couldn't resist.
Last year CNQ was languishing at $15 for a while, just stupidly undervalued. Buying at that level one would be up 2.5X and with the dividend increase they announced today the original capital would be yielding 12.5%. Pretty solid.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #2835
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought some plug power for 39.30

Have seen targets everywhere from 25 to 65 for it so we'll see what happens!
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #2836
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully through the last couple weeks I'm still about 30% O&G, banks and Airlines. Wonder how much farther tech dips....

Last edited by Samonadreau; 03-04-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #2837
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone still holding GRN.TO? Utter blood bath lately....
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #2838
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wife thinks global economy is going to gold-backed and hence should pull money from solid broad investment portfolio and buy physical gold/silver. I'm like WTF. To me that's more like gambling. Sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #2839
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Wife thinks global economy is going to gold-backed and hence should pull money from solid broad investment portfolio and buy physical gold/silver. I'm like WTF. To me that's more like gambling. Sigh...
The interwebs/conspiracy whacks/Facebook geniuses have all been pushing this for a while now. For that reason, I'd do the exact opposite.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #2840
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
The interwebs/conspiracy whacks/Facebook geniuses have all been pushing this for a while now. For that reason, I'd do the exact opposite.
So bitcoin?