Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #2361
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monster Hunter switch price error, should be $70 more.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08WWBWPZK

EDIT, gone.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #2362
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

512 GB for the Switch - $80.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...641744&irgwc=1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #2363
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I feel like Nintendo needs more “good” games for this system. Lineup seems a little soft all things considered.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #2364
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you like:

1. Nintendo games
2. RPGs, especially Japanese
3. Indies

Then there’s literally more ‘good’ games than a regular person could ever play.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #2365
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I've been waiting for Metroid for a decade.

Hmmm, just checked, Prime 3 was released in 2007!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #2366
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Looks like Nintendo will be releasing a new Switch model late in the year

https://kotaku.com/report-new-switch...rel-1846402776

OLED screen, 4K output for the dock, and a higher end SOC. Hopefully they also fix the terrible drifting joycons while they're at it
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #2367
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

4K seems like quite a jump for that little system. I'd be happy with 1440p at this point, but if they can actually push out 4K and nicely upscale games that weren't designed for it then great!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #2368
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Huge fan of Mario Golf, but this has a distinct lack of chain chomps, warp pipes, and other Mushroom Kingdom elements.
I’m worried this game is going to be more about combos for a good shot instead of the classic aim and power for a good shot. It’s what happened with mario tennis.

On a side note, when will nintendo learn to split screens horizontally not vertically for multiplayer.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #2369
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If you like:

1. Nintendo games
3. Indies

Yeah not huge into #2 or 3 so maybe that’s my issue. What do you define as indies? For example I played hollow knight and it’s amazing so if that’s indie I guess yeah.

I guess maybe my issue is when I go search for games there’s like a million cheaper non Nintendo titles so not entirely sure whether or not to plunge and by them and don’t really wanna take the time to search a lot either. However seems short on large splashy titles too.

Yes I realize I am part of the problem. Civ 6 is good. Is stardew valley worth it?
Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #2370
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you like:

1. Nintendo games
3. Indies

They are slow with the heavy hitters though...no Zelda, Mario Kart, or Metroid built for the switch and none coming anytime soon.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #2371
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I mean they have those titles but waiting a decade in between is a bit lame. Hire more people make stuff faster.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #2372
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yeah not huge into #2 or 3 so maybe that’s my issue. What do you define as indies? For example I played hollow knight and it’s amazing so if that’s indie I guess yeah.

I guess maybe my issue is when I go search for games there’s like a million cheaper non Nintendo titles so not entirely sure whether or not to plunge and by them and don’t really wanna take the time to search a lot either. However seems short on large splashy titles too.
Here's a list of indie games on Switch I would recommend (especially if you liked Hollow Knight):

Hades, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Ori 1 and 2, Into the Breach, Enter the Gungeon, Axiom Verge, The Messenger, Slay the Spire, Baba is You
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #2373
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They are slow with the heavy hitters though...no Zelda, Mario Kart, or Metroid built for the switch and none coming anytime soon.
I mean... there are Zelda and Metroid games in development for Switch. And the only reason they don’t make a Mario Kart 9 is because 8 DX is selling at an unprecedented rate. It’s sales have actually increased every single year. It’s a waste for them to make an MK9 and cut into their own sales.

We also need to stop pretending Metroid is a sanctimonious “third pillar” of Nintendo like it was in the early 00’s. Sales and interest wise it’s been leap frogged by Smash, Animal Crossing, Splatoon... it doesn’t even crack the top 5 anymore. The fact there’s a big budget game in development for Switch, coming out sometime, is a pretty get for fans.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 AM   #2374
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean... there are Zelda and Metroid games in development for Switch. And the only reason they don’t make a Mario Kart 9 is because 8 DX is selling at an unprecedented rate. It’s sales have actually increased every single year. It’s a waste for them to make an MK9 and cut into their own sales.

We also need to stop pretending Metroid is a sanctimonious “third pillar” of Nintendo like it was in the early 00’s. Sales and interest wise it’s been leap frogged by Smash, Animal Crossing, Splatoon... it doesn’t even crack the top 5 anymore. The fact there’s a big budget game in development for Switch, coming out sometime, is a pretty get for fans.
a new game every 10+ years for my favorite IPs doesn't cut it for me...I can't play sales numbers.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-05-2021 at 01:24 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #2375
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
a new game every 10+ years for my favorite IPs doesn't cut it for me...I can't play sales numbers.
Right, but just trying to provide some justification.

Like with Zelda it's only been 4 years since the last major release, which isn't crazy in the world of AAA open world development. We know the next game is deep in development and could still even be coming this year. In the meantime there's been multiple remakes, remasters, and spin-offs. I don't think Zelda fans are hurting right now.

Metroid has a major entry in development for 2 years at one of Nintendo's top studios. It might've been released already if development wasn't rebooted at Retro, but it probably wouldn't have been good. Whenever we see it now, I expect it will be very impressive and worth the wait.

And Mario Kart is just in a weird spot because all a new entry in that series does is compete with their own product.

You're doing a lot better than F-Zero fans, at the very least. Plus, we never know exactly what Nintendo is up to. This time last year there was no Paper Mario game even announced for Switch.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #2376
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Metroid has a major entry in development for 2 years at one of Nintendo's top studios. It might've been released already if development wasn't rebooted at Retro, but it probably wouldn't have been good. Whenever we see it now, I expect it will be very impressive and worth the wait.
Prime 4 will be a tough one for sure. I felt like Prime 3 was already struggling to keep things fresh so I would be okay with another attempt to shift the series in a new direction. Other M didn't work out but you can see that they were trying different things. It'd be nice if they were also concurrently working on a new side-scrolling Metroid game, similar to how Prime 1 and Fusion came out at the same time.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #2377
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'm hoping Prime 4 is not really Prime 4. Do something fresh again. I know, much easier said than done.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #2378
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Prime 4 will be a tough one for sure. I felt like Prime 3 was already struggling to keep things fresh so I would be okay with another attempt to shift the series in a new direction. Other M didn't work out but you can see that they were trying different things. It'd be nice if they were also concurrently working on a new side-scrolling Metroid game, similar to how Prime 1 and Fusion came out at the same time.
I think with Prime 3 it was just the culmination of three games in five years following pretty much the same formula. But it's been 14 (!) years since then, I think even if it follows the same playbook it will be a fresh and exciting game. There's really nothing else that plays or feels like Metroid Prime.

And the rumors have been churning on a new 2D Metroid for years. If that happens I think it will have a short announcement to release cycle (6 months or less).
Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #2379
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I think with Prime 3 it was just the culmination of three games in five years following pretty much the same formula. But it's been 14 (!) years since then, I think even if it follows the same playbook it will be a fresh and exciting game. There's really nothing else that plays or feels like Metroid Prime.
I don't disagree that it's been a long time, but after playing Prime 3 again a couple years ago...it hasn't aged as gracefully as the others. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #2380
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

As someone that never played the Metroid games as a kid and only got into them as an adult through emulation, I could never get into the Prime games. So much backtracking through identical looking caves/tunnels with no decent map system and terrible controls. Loved all the 2D games though
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote