Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #41
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Bump.

Any new recommendations? Have been using Lastpass but they are changing the free so you only get one set of devices that free will work on (either computers or mobile). I don't necessarily mind paying for a good product but seems like a good time to evaluate if there is a better option.
After moving from DashLane to Lastpass because of the pay model, I just bit the bullet and ponied up for Lastpass premium because I'm lazy.

My company's IT department recommends Bitwarden, it's what I use for passwords on the job.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #42
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I pay premium to help Bitwarden keep afloat. I don't even know what the benefits are.

It is one of those services where you literally want to give them your money to make sure they always stick around.
Well since Bitwarden is open source, it's very unlikely to ever just disappear. If the current company goes belly-up someone will use that code to keep the app going
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #43
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone use those for their phones too? Android specifically.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post

Bitwarden has the same Android functionality that LastPass has. Unlock with biometrics and auto-fill for websites and apps
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #45
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Bitwarden on everything. Windows, Android, iOS. It works great on all.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #46
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switched from LastPass to Bitwarden and ponied up the $10 for the premium account.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #47
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a 1Password guy - both corporately and personally. We used to be LastPass but it's gone steadily downhill IMO and billing issues are virtually unresolvable.

1P can be domiciled in Canada (1password.ca) so that the data is not shared with the US via Patriot Act. There is a "travel mode" - for when we can do that again - that temporarily removes password vaults form your devices. Travel only with what you need.

Installs can be secured with a Yubikey and it's all local via strong encryption, rather than data passing back and forth across the 'net.

Great app - takes some getting use to but if my wife can use it, anyone can.

And I just had a brainflash about it today, which I'm going to set up. I want certain passwords on a dev system, but not all because of potential exposure issues. So I'll set up a vault and share only those "entertainment passwords" that I need to. No need to expose more than necessary.

Segmentation of types of passwords into different vaults is easy, and you can maintain control over which are where and who has access.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #48
Shawn_Cronin44
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Switched from LastPass to Bitwarden and ponied up the $10 for the premium account.

Thanks guys!
I just did the exact same. The export / import process was simple and everything is looking good. FU LastPass and your new policy!
Shawn_Cronin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #49
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post

I use Lastpass on both my PC and on my phone. It's pretty seamless, though I wish the free multi-device support would have continued.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I might be a complete dinosaur here, but I thought I’d bump this for some advice. Basically, I suddenly find myself with almost double the amount of passwords I need for fairly regular use. As you might expect, it’s terrible! Unfortunately, it’s also unavoidable and out of my control. So, there’s got to be an easy solution:

- I need it to store all these passwords across a few devices
- I’d greatly prefer one that updates them across devices automatically
- I’d want this to just remember them and autopopulate for me so I’m not constantly having to type these in!

Like I say....this was probably dealt with years ago and I’m just late to the party. But any advice would be great!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #51
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

*scrolls up to post from 2014*

Yup! Still using 1Password.
Autofill or copy/paste is an option. Syncs across platforms via Dropbox.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So, I might be a complete dinosaur here, but I thought I’d bump this for some advice. Basically, I suddenly find myself with almost double the amount of passwords I need for fairly regular use. As you might expect, it’s terrible! Unfortunately, it’s also unavoidable and out of my control. So, there’s got to be an easy solution:

- I need it to store all these passwords across a few devices
- I’d greatly prefer one that updates them across devices automatically
- I’d want this to just remember them and autopopulate for me so I’m not constantly having to type these in!

Like I say....this was probably dealt with years ago and I’m just late to the party. But any advice would be great!
- Bitwarden. Apps are available for Windows, iOS, Android, and browser extensions
- Bitwarden. Everything is encrypted and stored on their cloud servers, as soon as you create or update a password on the PC it's available on your phone
- Bitwarden, though you have to go into the options to enable autofill so your username and password are autopopulated whenever you visit a site

It's also open source, which means Bitwarden is among the most secure password vaults as any poor security or crude shortcuts in their code would be exposed immediately. It also means if the company goes belly up for any reason anyone else can come along to keep the app itself functional
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #53
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I switched to Bitwarden based on the recommendations in this thread and it's been great.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #54
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a recent Bitwarden convert too, it's good.

I do use the built in one from Chrome and Edge for the many 'non critical' passwords I have. Ones that I am not super concerned about if they leaked (maybe I should be ??). Stuff like points programs (gas, retail etc.), golf tee time registrations, stupid programs that make you register an account before you can do anything with them etc. etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #55
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I love BitWarden.

Works perfect.

I pay because its great software. I would pay more.

$10 per year is dirt cheap.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #56
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
At home I remember everything. At work we use a public folder lon our exchange server that is ocked down so that only IT guys can see it. Only the IT guys are smart enough to hack into that folder.
Well that was such horrible ideas.

We didn't have any breaches but we sure were asking for it... and apparently we're still asking for it. Last summer we started to use Passwordstate and they have had a huge breach lately. We're looking at switching to another enterprise level password manager that we can host on-prem now.

For personal use, I have been thinking that I really need to use something now. I have too many passwords to remember. So this thread got bumped at the perfect time. I'm going to give Bitwarden a try for personal use... and we'll look at the enterprise/business solution for work too!

Thanks to the bumper for bumping!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #57
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Well that was such horrible ideas.

We didn't have any breaches but we sure were asking for it... and apparently we're still asking for it. Last summer we started to use Passwordstate and they have had a huge breach lately. We're looking at switching to another enterprise level password manager that we can host on-prem now.

For personal use, I have been thinking that I really need to use something now. I have too many passwords to remember. So this thread got bumped at the perfect time. I'm going to give Bitwarden a try for personal use... and we'll look at the enterprise/business solution for work too!

Thanks to the bumper for bumping!
As an IT network admin, the thought of using an Outlook public folder for passwords is... incomprehensible. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't horribly backfired for your organization before now. Also FYI, you can install Bitwarden to an on-prem server that doesn't store anything in the cloud

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/install-on-premise/
Old 05-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #58
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somewhat related to password managers I can't remember but within the past few years there was an option while browsing for Google to remember your passwords. I wasn't paying too much attention to the pop-up but then on the yearly security google checks I realized just how many passwords I had saved at https://passwords.google.com/ that only requires your Google account credentials to view them. Might be worth a look to see what you have saved with Google's password manager.

I've been using Keepass but might give Bitwarden a try.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #59
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
As an IT network admin, the thought of using an Outlook public folder for passwords is... incomprehensible. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't horribly backfired for your organization before now. Also FYI, you can install Bitwarden to an on-prem server that doesn't store anything in the cloud

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/install-on-premise/

Want to hear something funny? We used a password manager before password managers were cool. Before cloud solutions. The initial IT manager got fired and the new IT Manager dumped that password manager because he wanted to remove everything the previous IT Manager bought. He came up with the public folders solution as a replacement and at the time it seemed good. He was a smart guy and knew how to be convincing, so it must be a good idea, right?

Budget was tight and convincing the big mucky mucks that spreadsheets and public folders were bad was a hard sell. Finally a colleague suffered a very expensive ransomware attack and slowly people started listening to IT again.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #60
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone uses LastPass, time to change your passwords

https://arstechnica.com/information-...customer-info/
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post: