Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #8441
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why do you seem to think that's what they did? It's a complete fabrication.
I’m saying that’s what they should’ve done. Ehlers would make the Flames a lot better than Bennett. I get that that Bennett was the consensus #4 there and it was the slam dunk decision, it would’ve nice for someone to have vetoed that one because in the end, the rebuild was too short and Sam Bennett not living up to his billing has really hurt this team’s ability to hit that next level.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #8442
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean he dominated his high school league.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #8443
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They claimed others were seeking Janko in round one. Has any other team ever confirmed this?
The rumour was Montreal, IIRC.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #8444
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They claimed others were seeking Janko in round one. Has any other team ever confirmed this?
I remember that they said Montreal wanted him but no clue if true. I also forgot he was drafted off a high school team.

Not a horrible result for the 21st overall.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #8445
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I remember Loubo suggesting they take a look at Horvat. Smart guy. Would've been a great pick and he would be the 2C at this point in all likelihood.
There is no guarantee Horvat develops the same way away from the Sedins. He says a lot of his drive and push to get better came after that first season watching just how much time they spent working on themselves and this is just a few seasons before they retired. He said on an interview before last season he probably doesn't put all the effort into his skating that he did, as quickly as he did, without that drive from the top down.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #8446
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I’m saying that’s what they should’ve done. Ehlers would make the Flames a lot better than Bennett. I get that that Bennett was the consensus #4 there and it was the slam dunk decision, it would’ve nice for someone to have vetoed that one because in the end, the rebuild was too short and Sam Bennett not living up to his billing has really hurt this team’s ability to hit that next level.
Yes. They should have drafted players that ended up being better.
Why they didn't do that I don't know.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #8447
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
No fiasco? We were set to pick at the 14th spot. We traded down to go totally off the board. We could have had Wilson Hertl or Teravainen, who are all very good impactful players. Heck any player between 14 and our pick at 21 were way better.

Or am I missing some green text?
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. The scouts saw a player they liked and had at the top of their list. None of the players in question were obviously higher on the list. The scouts build the overall list. If this is a fiasco, so is Treliving trading down multiple times this past draft, which I don't think was a mistake. You go with your list and you stick with it. They believed in Jankowski and thought he was a good pick at that position. There were other teams in on him too and the Flames made the pick when they did and hoped the second they gained in trade (Sieloff) would payoff as well. Good gamble, bad outcome.

What was a fiasco was player development. Both players were let down by our player development. Sieloff just never went anywhere. We forget that Jankowski scored 17 goals and 14 goals in his first two full seasons in the NHL. He was on a good track, then got shuffled around and lost his way, not unlike Bennett. The sad thing is Jankowski had really good skills but no fight. Bennett had really good fight but no skills. Too bad you couldn't combine them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #8448
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Maybe lend them your crystal ball for the next draft? I'm sure they would like to have that 20/20 hindsight you possess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The rumour was Montreal, IIRC.
New Jersey also expressed they had Jankowski on their list.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #8449
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I remember that they said Montreal wanted him but no clue if true. I also forgot he was drafted off a high school team.

Not a horrible result for the 21st overall.
Under a different regime I wonder how that pick would have fared.

Pretty sure D Sutter could have instilled some piss and vinegar into him.

50% more physical play from Janko and he would have been a beauty.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #8450
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What was a fiasco was player development. Both players were let down by our player development. Sieloff just never went anywhere. We forget that Jankowski scored 17 goals and 14 goals in his first two full seasons in the NHL. He was on a good track, then got shuffled around and lost his way, not unlike Bennett. The sad thing is Jankowski had really good skills but no fight. Bennett had really good fight but no skills. Too bad you couldn't combine them.
That's a really great point. You draft raw materials and its up to you what you turn them into. If the org is solid, they turn into gems.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #8451
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's hard to get monster kids with all the tools to play angry/possessed on the ice. Takes a certain intangible which i guess you could call intensity or fire. That thing that Mangiapane has.

Jankowski probably could be that player Feaster envisioned to be honest, if only he didn't have that sheepish demeanor to his personality.

He plays like a 5'9 guy when the game gets harder while a guy like Eat Bread plays like he's 6'3 and that's the difference.

One could argue that Monahan also suffers from this to less of an extent.

He's built well but doesn't use his body physically to its fullest potential, and tries to get by playing a skill player's game when the other team gets more physical. The games when he looks magnificent are the rare ones when he decides to bring out Sean "Meanahan".

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-03-2021 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #8452
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to get monster kids with all the tools to play angry/possessed on the ice. Takes a certain intangible which i guess you could call intensity or fire. That thing that Mangiapane has.

Jankowski probably could be that player Feaster envisioned to be honest, if only he didn't have that sheepish demeanor to his personality.
If he has everything else it's a failure of the system not to install the rest in him. These are kids after all. Whatever Flames did to coach him didn't work.

Maybe nothing would have. But in D Sutter's words. you can't teach someone how to be 6'5". He has all the tools, what was missing was between his ears, that should be the easy part.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #8453
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
If he has everything else it's a failure of the system not to install the rest in him. These are kids after all. Whatever Flames did to coach him didn't work.

Maybe nothing would have. But in D Sutter's words. you can't teach someone how to be 6'5". He has all the tools, what was missing was between his ears, that should be the easy part.
To some extent, but Mangiapane and his non-stop engine also came out of this mess. But he puts in extra, stays late and does things people don't see according to folks around the team.

That takes individual commitment. And embodying that ultimately comes down to the individual and their desire.

I saw a guy that got an NHL paycheck and decided that he'd made it after he had carved out a valuable role as a rookie with hard work.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #8454
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. The scouts saw a player they liked and had at the top of their list. None of the players in question were obviously higher on the list. The scouts build the overall list. If this is a fiasco, so is Treliving trading down multiple times this past draft, which I don't think was a mistake. You go with your list and you stick with it. They believed in Jankowski and thought he was a good pick at that position. There were other teams in on him too and the Flames made the pick when they did and hoped the second they gained in trade (Sieloff) would payoff as well. Good gamble, bad outcome.

Treliving didn’t move down from 14 to 19 to take a guy ranked 42nd. He movedfrom 19 to 22 to 24th to get a guy ranked between 11-17th.

That’s off book, “we’re smarter than the league” type thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #8455
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To some extent, but Mangiapane and his non-stop engine also came out of this mess. But he puts in extra, stays late and does things people don't see according to folks around the team.

That takes individual commitment. And embodying that ultimately comes down to the individual and their desire.

I saw a guy that got an NHL paycheck and decided that he'd made it after he had carved out a valuable role as a rookie with hard work.
Yup, can't argue with that. All we know for sure is what actually happened.

Mangiapane would kill to have Janko's body.

And a bunch of us civies would bust through walls to make the big show if we were blessed with what Janko had.

So I can only argue that point so far.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #8456
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski pick was crap. Any time your first round pick plays less than 200 games for your team it's a failed pick. The trading down to avoid a half dozen way better players makes the pick even more crap, and the cherry on top is the guy we drafted with the extra pick from said trading down was also crap.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #8457
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of Janko, they could have picked Vasilevsky...
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #8458
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Instead of Janko, they could have picked Vasilevsky...

Or Teravainen, which is who I wanted at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #8459
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Or Teravainen, which is who I wanted at the time.
Hertl would have been just fine.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #8460
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Jankowski pick was crap. Any time your first round pick plays less than 200 games for your team it's a failed pick. The trading down to avoid a half dozen way better players makes the pick even more crap, and the cherry on top is the guy we drafted with the extra pick from said trading down was also crap.
It’s not that the guy failed. It happens even with the “no brainer” picks - Daigle, Yakupov... But they moved down to take a guy ranked 42nd. And if Montreal was interested, they didn’t have a best pick until the second. Make a trade to get a second ahead of them. Don’t give up the 14th overall.
Closed Thread